Aaron Rodgers - Yay or Nay (POLL)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 26, 2023.

?

Want Aaron Rodgers at Jets?

Poll closed Feb 25, 2023.
  1. Yay

58.9%
  2. Nay

26.6%
  3. Undecided

14.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

Get it done baby!

2. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Call me what you want, ---- but putting my stamp record on this as a hard NO. Would rather keep the draft picks & then try to get Derek Carr after he gets cut. Better positioned for longer-term success rather than a 1 shot deal.

IMO, = that "get the QB no matter what the cost" experiment has already been tested w/the LA Rams & look at what is happening w/them. Granted they won a Super Bowl (just 1), --- but they are heading for some lean hard years while the Detroit Lions are going to flourish (it looks like they are getting their FO/CS act together).

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  3. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Rodgers is an arrogant bastard, which is why he absolutely won't mail it in. The thought of him being able to come to NY and win a championship would have him salivating. Honestly we would probably get the most motivated Rodgers we have seen in years.

bicketybam and AG3 like this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he doesn’t care about New York.

Maybe he wants to win one more, but NY or Siberia, this guy doesn’t care he’s a west coast boy

I question even that though, of course he’d take another SB title but I think it’s lower on the priorities in terms of what he’s willing to do to win it

5. NOVAJET

You are correct sir, he cares about himself and his legacy. That's what I was referring to.

bicketybam and BrowningNagle like this.
  6. BrowningNagle

exactly which is why we shouldn’t do GB a huge favor and bail them out of this mess

SOJAZ likes this.
  7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I don't know how anyone could watch those games yesterday and come away with any other conclusion that the Jets should go all-in on Carr or Rodgers. I would also throw Lamar's name in there but those contract negotiations would have to fall apart first which likely precludes us from him because I think they want to get the QB position settled ASAP and can't afford to wait around for a hypothetical scenario to play out first.

It's not like we're mortgaging the future for either of those guys, likely a Day 2/3 pick and roughly 40M AAV for 4-5 years for Carr or a couple of Day 1/2 picks and 40-50M AAV for 3-4 years for Rodgers. One thing to keep in mind is that the cap is projected to exceed 220M in 2023 (up from 208M in 2022) and will likely continue to increase (barring another COVID-esque catastrophe) so those contracts don't scare me as much as I thought they would.

The Jets have to come out of this offseason with Rodgers or Carr, anything less is a failure IMO.

8. BrowningNagle

yesterdays games? Both teams won with young QBs they drafted and developed.

If anything that would show that desperately grasping at a 40 year old is the wrong strategy

if you believed in putting that much stock in 2 games (I dont)

barfolomew likes this.
  9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I don't think using the RAMS is a good example to support your point, especially for a team that hasnt won in most of our lifetimes... and has sucked during the majority of that span ;)

10. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Who says GB wouldn't be bailing us out of OUR mess?

SOJAZ and KingRoach like this.
  11. NOVAJET

We wasted a decade+ with that strategy, can we put it on pause and compete for a SB for a couple of years then revisit it? We aren't mortgaging our future, it's a ridiculous sentiment for anyone to imply that, teams turn things around a lot faster these days. We threw away a first round pick not 2 years ago and are in a position to compete. I agree eventually to have sustained success we will need to draft and groom a QB but I am 100% on board with going all in for a couple of years before going back to the drawing board we have been scribbling on forever.

12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Also in 25/26 it's going to push 250 and 280 respectively (per OTC). Using the option in Rodgers contract would only make it count for 14 or 15 in those final void years when he most likely won't be with us anymore. Still don't have to pay Sauce or GW until 26 or 27. Breece Hall in 26. AVT in in 26. The money from Rodgers is going to be either gone or have a minimal impact on those 4 players.

13. BrowningNagle

Yeah I don’t think going after a veteran is a bad strategy, in fact it might be a good one but I don’t think Rodgers is the right guy for that.

I’d do anything for Lamar Jackson though

Ralebird and barfolomew like this.
  14. BrowningNagle

It would affect Quinnen Williams though

barfolomew likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The problem is that the Jets aren’t the only landing spot for Rodgers. Someone is going to bail them out of their salary cap mess, which is why they will still demand capital.

The only way the price can drop significantly is if Rodgers demands to go to a certain place. And if that ends up being the case, why wouldn’t he prefer to go to San Francisco or Tennessee? Or maybe he reunites with Davante Adams in Vegas?

The Jets have a decent situation, but there are better ones out there. The Broncos also overestimated Hackett’s friendship as a deciding factor.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Last year Rodgers was coming off 2nd MVP season in a row. GB wasn't trading him regardless. This year is a completely different story and Hack is definitely a factor. Not the only factor, but a huge factor nevertheless.

17. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

100% yes! Put it on pause and push all your chips in and go for it.
    What future are we mortgaging? Is it the future where we go 7-10 or 8-9 with awful quarterback play? Is it the future where zach wilson throws a 9 or 11 touchdown passes and leads the team? Screw the future. Sign or trade for one of these 2 guys, get in the dance and see what happens.

But these are the Jets we are talking about and it will likely end up getting tannyhill and missing the playoffs again next year.

ColoradoContrails and NOVAJET like this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I do think it’s a factor, but I think he’d happily go to a better football situation without Hackett.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  19. NOVAJET

San Fran is out, they already stated they would not trade him in the NFC. We have a better defense and weapons than Tenn. Vegas is intriguing and really the only other possibility but the betting odds favor the Jets by a long shot for a reason. Those guys have a lot riding on being thorough in their jobs so I will usually side with them.

Borat likes this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I don't see many clearly better situations. Hack can very well make a difference. Vegas odds are reflecting this as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.