Nathaniel Hackett hired as OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dawinner127, Jan 26, 2023.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I often wonder what line of work people are in when they blatantly don’t understand what happened with the Broncos last year.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

When using phrases like “for the most part” I am leaving room for HOF coaches who made their name 40 years ago as possible exceptions.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

We're almost always on the same page, and I respect you as a poster, but I don't understand why you can't see that MLF had players who at least tried to play in his system, while Hackett had a QB set in his ways and who - if he even tried to adapt - couldn't.

And I'm not absolving Hackett of blame. He made mistakes for sure. I hope he learned from them. But his overall body of work indicates to me that he's done a good job at adapting, and he's got years of experience compared to what MLF had.

4. ColoradoContrails

Okay, how about Andy Reid changing his offense that had Alex Smith at QB to better suit Mahomes' skill set?

5. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

Maybe Hack's HC duties left him with limited time to spend on the offense. That probably would have worked out better with a well established offense. It's kind of like what happened here with Bowls. He was a defensive guru but his defense was not that good when he became a HC. Now what I find interesting is that when he shoved his DC aside and completely took over the defense for maybe two, three games where he prepared the team for the upcoming game in those few games his defense played great. But I guess his HC duties prevented him from doing that every week or even one fourth or fifth of the weeks.

SOJAZ, cval, burf and 1 other person like this.
  6. KingRoach

You mean the future HOF coach with over 35 years experience and a SB ring?

I believe he falls into the same category as Walsh.

Are you starting to realize those coaches are special and usually have a ton of experience?

SOJAZ likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

Maybe they learned something along the way. Like how they need to make adjustments to their schemes based on the players they have?

Since1969 likes this.
  8. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

The hiring of Hackett is potentially the very best outcome for the Jets and Zach Wilson:

1) This team (besides the QB) has been in win now mode since like the Green Bay game last season. This team believes they are good enough to win it all. What? Did you think they were all over Zach for some other stupid reason? Use your common sense people. The players wanted Mike White because they believed in themselves and they further believed they needed someone that could get the ball to the playmakers on offense. They KNEW that wasn't Zach. They KNEW Zach was holding the team back. Nothing personal against Zach they just wanted a competent QB.

2) The Jets get an experienced OC that has coached and had success in unlikely places like Jacksonville. The players clearly did NOT believe in MLF. They wanted new blood and Hackett is exactly what they wanted. They probably thought about the very same criticisms that every Jets fan has brought up. However, they BELIEVE they can work and be successful with anyone. So all these little bitch complaints everyone is making big doesn't matter to the players. They just laugh you guys off. Hackett will get Wilson and Moore getting the ball more often than they ever had. It's a win win for them. It's win for everyone on offense.

3) IF the Aaron Rodgers trade is ever consummated? It's the best possible outcome for the Jets offense and Zach Wilson individually. Zach needs different leadership. The results speak for themselves it clearly was not working with MLF. Zach needs a mentor. He needs someone that will always believe in him and Aaron already does. Having him here can only help Zach. No guarantees Zach turns around, but it’s the best possible last ditch effort to straighten Zach out.

4) It's the best for the fans also. It's already got this city captivated. The knowledgeable fans out there know the Jets are close to being a contender. Adding Rodgers COULD potentially put this team over the top.

5) The ONLY negative in all of this are all the little bitches that give Jets nation a bad name. The same dumb shits that will piss and moan about everything. However, in the end that's just background noise that means nothing. They're always trying to beat the drum pretending like they know better than everyone else. It's really just laughable. They make fools out of themselves. They embarrass themselves and they have no self awareness.

tomdeb and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Testify! This pretty much sums up the last 3 days of arguing lol. I totally agree except I don't think the opposition a bunch of negative old bastards (I'm not exactly young) I think the poor souls are institutionalized. Too many years of playing it safe, trying to build 100% through the draft. At some point you have to shoot your shot and that time is now otherwise you are just wallowing in mediocrity.

10. KingRoach

Are you suggesting.experienced coaches are better than inexperienced coaches? You’re Really going out on a limb with that hot take.

Since there are no future HOF coaches available atm maybe we should temper our expectations and hope the GM knows enough to play to our staff’s strengths

SOJAZ and Cman68 like this.
  11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

"Little bitches that give Jets nation a bad name?" "Dumb shits?" They're "laughable" because they don't agree with you? And you don't even have the "self awareness" to understand what you have done here. I agree with much of what you wrote, not the part that indicates Zach Wilson should be anything other than a minor consideration going forward, not the part that you're looking for another player to be a "mentor," that's what coaches are there for. But when you are so rudely dismissive of those who disagree with you, you show your true colors., and they're not shining.

SOJAZ, NY Jets68 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  12. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

I’ve moved on to the acceptance stage. At the end of the day the OC is likely to have little impact on our success if we don’t get the right qb anyway. In theory he should be better than MLF and we still had a somewhat fun season so hopefully things work out.

13. NYJ1970

Ask me if i care......

bicketybam likes this.
  14. NYJ1970

Absolutely right but it doesn't mean Joe won't be doing his due diligence on the team besides the QB. What few players does Rodgers want? Who are they and can they signed through free agency. He MUST fix the OL. The line will be the threshold of our success or undoing. Health is a major issue with that unit. If you lose one player (AVT), you can't have catastrophic failure because you have a few other walking wounded late 8n the season. What that tells me is that clearly they need at least one Uber talented foundational guy on the OL just in case we suffer through a rash of injuries like we did last season. Do we need a Fullback? In other words getting the QB right is 9/10 of the conversation. Those things I just pointed are very much REQUIRED in order for it all to work.....

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

His defense was #13 last year when he because Bucks HC. When he became HC with the Jets it was #9.

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We may be going around in circles now, so best to stop here. I do agree with the second paragraph though regarding overall body of work. Also, the fact he made Rodgers now a realistic option cannot be underestimated. Before this signing I thought Carr was essentially the only good realistic option for a veteran QB. Other options to me were underwhelming. Now I feel there is a decent chance we can get either Carr or Rodgers, which basically doubles our chances at a good QB next year, and that is a big deal.

17. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

As opposed to you, who is employed by the Denver Broncos franchise is what capacity, exactly?

18. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Really?

I agree with everything you said in this point

Sure, he is experienced, but is it GOOD experience? In this ever-evolving sport (The Wildcat was NOT that long ago!), you suddenly want everyone to conveniently overlook his most RECENT experience, which was a complete and unmitigated disaster. I understand he did not hold the position of Offensive Coordinator, but he was essentially the boss of the entire on-field operations of the team, which makes his accountable for the OC's performance just the same.

Getting Rogers is absolutely the best case scenario for the Jets in my opinion , but again, at what cost in assets (Players, Draft Picks, ect) and Money? That's very important in this decision.

As for what is best for Zach Wilson? Who honestly can venture even a realistic guess at this point?

You, me, and anyone else has no right to decide what is "best for the fans". A paying fan (both in money and time mind you) is absolutely entitled to decide what is best for themselves. Whether we agree or disagree with them makes them no less knowledgeable than anyone else.

What exactly should these "dumb shits" as you have put it be happy about regarding the past decade of this team? Background noise about nothing? The past decade of this team reached futility that few franchises in any sport has ever seen. What exactly is this awareness that you claim they are lacking?

#478 HackettSuxTNG, Jan 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Nice post--very persuasive. My only concern is that if the jets pick up Rodgers or whomever and sit Zach Wilson for 1-2 years, they might "forget" how bad Zach is/was in 2021-2022. At some point the jets must acknowledge Zach was a huge error at #2 overall and move on. They seem light years away from admitting that now, although I understand they are also trying to increase his trade value. The Cardinals endured one year of 1st round QB Josh Rosen and quickly moved on--The jets have already wasted 2 years with Zach--I hope someday the jets embrace reality that it was a stupid pick. As you said, nothing personal against Zach, but football is a business.

Red Menace likes this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

so because I (and 90% of people) can easily see what happened based off reports and straight up logic, that means I have some insider info? Fortunately it’s a really easy situation to read. You’re choosing not to.