JV’s Early Prospect Look

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Nov 12, 2022.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I like Schmitz a lot too. What’s not to like about a cold weather offensive lineman that’s played tons of football?

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If JL Skinner from Boise St falls out of the first or second, I think the Jets should draft him. He's an intimidator safety and those guys are gold in a league where TEs make so many plays.

3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Drew Sanders is someone worth considering if he's available with our 2nd rounder. We need a playmaker who can cover the middle of the field.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Some potentially Day 2 guys to consider at positions of need on D:

Christopher Smith, S, Georgia: True ball hawking S prospect. Main con is his small frame which leads him to not be the best in run support be his football IQ is off the charts and would be a really good deep safety for us.
    Trenton Simpson, LB, Clemson: He feels like a Micah Parsons-lite to me. I don't think he can provide quite the level of production that Micah has so far in his career but he's a positionless defender that could be moved all over the formation and used in a variety of ways (stack LB, WILL/EDGE defender that can rush off the edge, etc.). He would add a level of athleticism to our LB core that hasn't been seen in a long time, maybe ever.
    Antonio Johnson, S, Texas A&M: Lined up all over the defensive backfield for the Aggies this year so the versatility is apparent. Seems to be more of a SS prospect than a FS to me as I think he struggles in man-to-man coverage btu could thrive in a zone defense or as that robber in certain Cover 1 looks.
    Jordan Battle, S, Alabama: I think Battle is versatile enough to play either FS or SS in the league. He tends to take some bad angles from time to time and is inconsistent as a tackler so there's room for imporvement. High-level starter in the SEC (50+ starts for Alabama under his belt) and as is in typical in a Saban draft pick, he's got great football IQ and instincts.
    Henry To'o To'o, LB, Alabama: We've been talking about To'o To'o for a couple of years now so I think most are somewhat familiar with him. Again, Saban draft pick so great instincts/football IQ, plus athlete at the 2nd level, years of quality production in the best conference in CFB (SEC). Could be a really good CJ Mosley replacement down the line.

I've already given some OL prospects to look for but here's a couple WRs to be mindful of in the Day 2 area, especially if we move on from CD this offseason:

Rashee Rice, WR, SMU: At 6'3" 206, Rice can absolutely excel on the outside at the next level. The ball skills he possesses would be the perfect compliment to our WR room with GW and EM. For a guy his size, he's also very good in RAC opportunities as he usually makes at least one guy miss. He needs to continue to develop his route tree as the SMU offense didn't task him with running a wide variety of routes. To be fair, I don't think this is a massive concern as I think the talent is there, I just need to see it more consistently to feel great about it.
    Jaylin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee: 2022 Biletnifkoff Award Winner. Hyatt is probably the most explosive WR coming into the draft this season. This is something our offense is lacking as well outside of Breece Hall, a true home-run hitter. Hyatt is a threat to take the top off of the defense at any point in time. Main concerns are size (listed at 6'0" 180, wouldn't surprise me at all if he is officially shorter/lighter at the combine), transition from Tennessee's spread offense that gave him a ton of free releases which he probably won't get at the next level, and he's only got 1 year of meaningful production so can he continue to build on his 2022 campaign or was this a flash in the pan that can be attributed to UT's offense?
    Kayshon Boutte, WR, LSU: The athleticism and RAC ability are apparent anytime you watch Boutte's tape. It's easy to see a path for him to ascend into the upper tiers of WRs in the NFL. However, there are some major concerns when it comes to him as a prospect. His lack of production this season, inconsistency extending his hands beyond his frame to catch the ball, and some focus drops are all things that he'll have to improve upon to reach his full potential.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t really like the cloud of drama that’s seemingly been following Boutte around all year. He’s going to transfer, he’s not transferring, running half speed in games. Dudes super talented and should be considered one of the top drafted receivers but something’s holding that back.

Rice can fucking fly and so can Hyatt.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Yeah, I could see JD shying away from Boutte due to those concerns more than anything else but the dude's got all the talent in the world. If he can put it together, I could easily see him becoming a Top 10-15 WR within his first 2-3 years in the league.

I think of those guys I like Rice the most, he would be a perfect CD replacement with way more upside. I'm very intrigued to watch this this week at the Senior Bowl practices/game but he could also play his way into that late-round 1 discussion with a good week so while I like him the most, I also think he's the least likely to make it to our 2nd rounder.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Pete Skoronski could drop to mid to late teens. Good OT prospect but has a very good profile for conversion to Center.
    Dalton Kincaid looks really good as a developmental TE. He needs to put on a bit of muscle but he has game-breaker potential.
    Zach Evans will step right into an RBBC and likely be a #1 back in a season or two.
    Mike Morris is very good depth at Edge and has the potential to play on the strongside as a plus player.

Those are the guys that jump out at me as value in the 1-4 rounds respectively.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

9. CotcheryFan

Israel Abanikanda would be a nice addition to our RB group. He has big play ability on the ground and in the passing game.

KingRoach likes this.
  10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Sounds like John Michael Schmitz was one of the best looking prospects at the Senior Bowl last week/weekend.

Might not be possible anymore but if he's there with our 2nd round pick, I'd absolutely take him there.

11. abyzmul

The Jets were coaching that game though, I expect less prospects to come from that game this year.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  12. abyzmul

I know it would feel like overkill, but what would people think if the Jets took Bryan Bresee with the first pick? He gets solid penetration from the inside, plays great against the run and is tall as fuck for batted balls.

13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Great player at a position of need. I'm also worried that New Engliand would pick him at 14.

I'm also leery of passing over an OL beast e.g. Broderick Jones or Darnell Wright

abyzmul likes this.
  14. CotcheryFan

The more I read about Joe Tippmann, the more I want us to get him on day 2.

KingRoach and joe like this.
  15. abyzmul

Agreed, I'm only thinking this if there is a run on Olinemen and there are no partners to trade back.

joe likes this.
  16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Build an OL like the Philadelphia Eagles ...we just might stand more than a snow balls chance in hell playing football next Fall

The OL???? If JD fails here I hope his Fired on the spot

The Other Land Mines : No Coaching and No QB

Maybe the Johnson Bros can get permission from Government to fly a Green and White Hot air Balloon with an Ad Message "Help the Jets..Anybody ? ???Top Dollar Paid "

#36 NYJetsO12, Feb 12, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
  17. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

One of the worst post I have ever read on here. Fire JD? Que fumas chico?

abyzmul likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Broderick Jones looks a little svelte to me. I guess he is listed at 310 but I dont see it

19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Smoking? Mine are just smoking hot opinion chica Alex

20. abyzmul

This is Broderick Jones and rookie D'Brickashaw Ferguson. Brick was born for zone blocking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

joe, Dierking, KY Jets Fan and 2 others like this.