Nathaniel Hackett hired as OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dawinner127, Jan 26, 2023.

1. burf

burf Well-Known Member

#421 burf, Jan 27, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

SO maybe it wasn't so much Hackett's fault...

Br4d likes this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He didn't adopt the scheme to his best players? Sounds familiar? There is no excuse for Denver, there just isn't. He was HC, sure, but he was calling the plays, it was his offense. It was a massive failure. Let's hope he learned from it. He did better in his other stops, so it's not all bad, but Denver specifically is indefensible IMO.

BacktoQueens, Jets79 and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  5. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

tomdeb and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

Was it his offense? How much was Russ trying to adapt, if at all? I'm not excusing Hackett, but this was a massive failure on the part of Denver's GM and FO in obtaining a QB who has only ever played one way and expecting that to work.

SOJAZ, Nyjets4eva, tomdeb and 2 others like this.
  7. IIMeanDeanII

I didn't watch enough Broncos football to know one way or another. However. Through the reports I've read and people I've listened to, It sounds like Russell Wilson insisted on a specific offense that he was comfortable with, they tailored around what he wanted, to the point where Wilson was essentially calling the show with that offense.

Usually the truth falls somewhere In the middle of things but It's hard to say... Was there a mandate to incorporate and do whatever Wilson wanted? Was It a mixture?

It just sounds like a very fucked up, forced, marriage between Russell Wilson and that organization. Forced seems to be the theme from everything I've gathered.

..but, who really knows? Speculation Is fine as fans but the results speak more than words to me, I can't ignore that horrendous offense they had last season. Despite the variables, It still concerns me until I see It succeed. I've seen the failure, that's a proven possibility. So, I'd be lying If I didn't say I was extremely skeptical at this point.

8. ColoradoContrails

That's the thing. Hackett won't be bringing that offense here. That offense was some sort of bastard offense that tried to marry what he wanted to do with what R. Wilson demanded. He has no such demand here. I fully expect him to return to what he's done his whole career: finding ways to make use of whatever QB he has and their skillset and making it work.

SOJAZ, Nyjets4eva, tomdeb and 3 others like this.
  9. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Also, Russell Wilson is a very unique case, or should I say head case. From stuff I've read, he's adamant about doing things his way. It seems it was like a disruptive political struggle between him, & coaches. And since the Broncs gave up so much to get him, & pay him big bucks, he won.
    Of course, Hackett (maybe) could've done more to do things Wilson's way, but then who's HC?
    Also, why did the Seahawks want to move on from him, because Geno was better?
    Hackett was far from my first choice, & I know very little about him, other than what I've read since his hire.
    But he's the OC now.
    He seems like a good guy, & I'll reserve judgement til, at least, I hear what he has in mind for the offense, when he speaks to the media in the next couple of weeks.

10. IIMeanDeanII

I agree but there Is a wrinkle and argument to be made for every success he's had from an offensive staind-point.

Everyone keeps pointing out the #2 offense In 2017 W/ Blake Bortles.

Don't get me wrong, that Is impressive. However, he also had two failed season with a below average offense W/ Blake Bortles. There was more evidence of not being good, than being good.

Obviously GB story, he didn't call the plays there and had a HOF QB leading the charge.

So, Idk. I'm still skeptical, regardless. I'll always hope for the best, It doesn't look good to me overall though. I'm in-between currently If I'm honest. Just taking a wait and see approach here.

11. ColoradoContrails

Actually I'm not basing my hope on his stats in previous jobs as much as how he goes about coaching. I like how he's reported to work with players, and being flexible, and I think that's why he's had success. When he hasn't had success it seems like it's due to the things that most coaches "fail" on: injuries, and a shortage of talent. Not to say he's perfect or without his share of blame in his failures, but I like our chances at seeing a much improved offense with him, and possibly even the resurrection of Zach. And if he tilts the playing field for Rodgers coming here, all the better.

IIMeanDeanII, burf and Nyjets4eva like this.
  12. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I'm glad somebody said this. Lots of bitching about Hackett--who did THEY want? Easy to be a movie critic. A movie critic never pens/suggests anything original, so that others can critique THEM. Instead, ALL they do is applaud/downgrade OTHERS' work. Good gig if you can get it.
    Let's hear who the anti-Hackett crowd wanted, and then show us how they were better than Hackett. Like someone earlier said, I think Hackett is the best the jets could have done-- since Reich was out of the running because he wanted a head coaching job.

bicketybam and barfolomew like this.
  13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

You can't "fire" the QB with the hundred million dollar guaranteed contract (after paying a king's ransom for him) no matter how much he sucks--so you fire the coach. And they did.

14. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I wanted pete carmichael, but i don't know shit hackett

15. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

9/10 times what Jets fans like ends up sucking. Gase is the outlier.

cmcm750203 likes this.
  16. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Was gonna post this to show how had MLF really was and now I see this. Hope we didn’t just do the same thing again. This is how a good coach utilizes his players, something MLF didn’t learn in 2 seasons.

burf, ColoradoContrails and Borat like this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This isn’t accurate.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ing-offense-completely-around-russell-wilson/

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

As opposed to what the Jets organization have been doing to Jets fans for most of the past 50 years?

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is annoying. If he was going to leave Georgia then we should have been all over it.

cmcm750203, SOJAZ and Jets79 like this.
  20. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

The Jets OC job was always going to be tough to fill without a QB in place and both Douglas and Saleh on the hot seat. Bevell turned them down and Matt LaFleur was interested in bringing Hackett back to Green Bay, the Jets jumped on the signing. Furthermore, there has to be something brewing with Rodgers to NY. Why would Hackett take the job with all the uncertainty when he's still getting paid for three years by Denver. Somethings afoot, hopefully with the initials A.R. .

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.