Nathaniel Hackett hired as OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dawinner127, Jan 26, 2023.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

seriously? Haha

barfolomew likes this.
  2. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Definitely won't work for Zach either then

barfolomew and Jets79 like this.
  3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Two first's + extra picks

Multiple picks this year, including our first....

Something you would give to someone In their prime to retain their services, not for an old man (football years) on the verge of retirement.

barfolomew likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt that this is what it costs us. If it does, then yes, it would be SOJ foolishness. But the compensation being suggested is like the 2023 2nd, and a conditional 2024 based on how AR performs and whether he plans on continuing to play.

Borat, barfolomew and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  5. IIMeanDeanII

See, I've been reading nothing of the sort. It's all been ridiculous package after ridiculous package.

This would make sense. I don't mind giving fair compensation, just not at the expense of our future. Ya know?

6. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

This hire all rides on Rodgers.

HomeoftheJets and barfolomew like this.
  7. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

To me it's worth the shot at a person that has experience as OC - yup, overmatched and terrible as HC, the league is littered with people on both sides of the ball with that resume. I have a hard time believing he'll be worse than MLF. Hopefully he looks at his strengths and forms gameplay's to expose the opponent's weaknesses. Hope for the best...

KingRoach, burf, bicketybam and 2 others like this.
  8. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Ok--we'll see who's right this time next year

barfolomew likes this.
  9. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I agree with a lot you said, but on this point...
    Yeah, he didn't do playcalling, but he designed a successful offensive scheme, created successful gameplans, ran the entire offense, & the players liked him, & played well. That aint BS.

10. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The official slogan of TGG.

11. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Hackett didn't call plays in GB with Rodgers, LaFleur did, ftr

barfolomew likes this.
  12. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

You are correct, he just ran the hyper efficient red zone offense. Last I checked we sucked in the red zone..

barfolomew likes this.
  13. IIMeanDeanII

The more I think on It, the more It Is eating at me.

Am I the only one that Is freaked the fuck out (bothered) that we just hired a guy that had such a terrible offense with the Broncos, JUST LAST YEAR?

I mean.

Literally. Took a HOF caliber QB going Into the season and tore that all down In half a season. Nobody looks at Russell Wilson the same now. Maybe he recovers with him gone, idk. Still, that's hard to achieve. That offense was putrid In every sense of the word.

You can't write this shit.

I'll wait to see how the rest of this plays out but all indication suggests this Is going to fail on an epic scale.

HomeoftheJets, Jets79 and barfolomew like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

C'mon Dean, you know that HC doesn't = OC by any measure. Hackett has a lot of good experience as an OC and on the "O" side of the ball, and reportedly connects well with players. I think you're overreacting.

UK_Chilts and barfolomew like this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Tough to be a Jet fan, seems like we will never be a unanimous happy voice no matter what is done or not done.
    Case in point, some people here are already freaking out as to the expected “ load of picks” it will take to get AR as if that is confirmed and in the works. Talk about long range vision.
    Let’s be honest, even if it is, most against it will call it a load no matter what is is, or if JD changes direction and it goes with a different QB, many will piss and moan and shit all over JD because “why get Hackett if he didn’t go all in with AR”.
    So in the end we always default to the thinking that the Jets never get anything right approach, no matter what. Even when it didn’t happen yet.
    Hopefully folks here can come up with a better plan that brings hope for the future, but so far it translated into “we should have fired JD And Saleh too, get rid of Zach and start from scratch” , again. May the football Gods have mercy on us.

16. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Hope you are wrong my friend

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  17. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

If the worst happens, we will start all over again - again.

IIMeanDeanII and barfolomew like this.
  18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I am concerned too. He actually performed worse than MILF last year. And he had Russ. The only thing that gives hope is that he was a HC there, not OC. He may be better suited as an OC. In GB he did well. Yes, he had Rodgers, but he actually designed offensive plays, and they got worse in that area when he left. He also had a decent stint in Jacksonville before. Had top 5 offense. Then followed it up with #31. Before that was mid at Buffalo. After that good in GB, then crap for one season in Denver.

If you take average of all his offenses, he is 17.5. Basically mid, inconsistent. This is not an exciting hire, and there are concerns, but with Reich gone, there weren't too many experienced options. I don't know why we didn't interview Olson, maybe he didn't want to come to NY? However, there are some benefits. Hackett is experienced, runs WCO, which means lesser learning curve for the team. His is relatively young for a coach, and might actually get better. He succeeded with most QBs, worked well with legendary one in Rodgers. And this is where the biggest benefit lies. Our chances of getting Rodgers have drastically increased. No, it is not a guarantee, but chances are much higher. And that counts for a lot.

IIMeanDeanII and barfolomew like this.
  19. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

uhm…if he didn’t call plays, what exactly did he do for that red zone success? I call BS on this cherry picked stat…

20. IIMeanDeanII

Yeah, I'm good. I don't buy Into that excuse. I'll tell you why...

From our very own experience with this topic.

Rex Ryan. Amazing defense, coming from a defensive background. Offense was lackluster.
    Todd Bowles. Good defense, coming from a defensive background. Offense was bad.
    I could go on and on..

If you are gong to be a shitty HC, at least make sure the thing you are good at, Is good.

Nathaniel Hackett Is supposed to be an offensive mind. His offense was the absolute worst In the league. With a potential HOF QB at the helm.

That should scare you, all of you.

Regardless of this weird excuse you guys are throwing around now.

..just because he was a bad HC, doesn't mean, blah, blah... No thanks. I'm good.

Trust me. I haven't over-reacted In a long time. This Isn't It.

I just see the writing on the wall.

HomeoftheJets and Jets79 like this.