2023 Jets QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by blackssmagic, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

In the right system with the right support Carr is a good QB. The Raiders have been a mediocre team for most of his time there but the flaws generally have not been with the QB play.

When a QB has been with a team for a decade and they haven't won a lot the tendency is to look at the QB and forget that it is the team that is the most important factor.

#401 Br4d, Jan 22, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I still don’t really see how people think Carr is a bad quarterback or a bad option. I read the sensitivity article thing and I’d be more apt to reading into it if McDaniels hasn’t been back to back failures as a head coach. Or if Belichick disciples ever had any success away from the farm.

He’s just like Stafford.

3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The real problem is not Carr or Garrapollo Rogers etc.....they all have more talent than any Jets QB in 20 years

Let me enlighten you all: We have bad management JD; bad HC in Saleh; so far no OC

That's called setting the stage for next QB failure

All you guys think we are a playoff caliber team??? Really?? Were the Giants a legit playoff team?? or did they have outstanding Coaching and Management. In one year what did Daibol accomplish ?? How did a woman turn around the Lions in just 2 years??

The Brain Trust>>>most important thing. Woody should have taken a 365 day leap and FIRED them. Please watch how this will eventually play out lmao

Our key players Sauce G Wilson most of rookie class (except Zach maybe) we keep under contract

Brilliant Owner made stupid Non Decision that complicates QB and OC hire by not cleaning house

Br4d likes this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Link?

5. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Carr is a great option but Won’t matter much - big time QB FAs won’t come to a team with no OC, established Oline, and loser franchise for a decade + It’s a nice dream tho.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. This puts Carr - and his suitability for playing here - in a new light. If he's hurt by being criticized by his coach - even if I tend to disagree with that approach in coaching - there's no way he'll be able to handle the constant criticism by Jets fans, and the hyper-media attention of the NY media. This has all the makings of another massive SOJ failure at QB.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  7. Br4d

It's a total crapshoot I think.

One of the things that bothers me about Carr is how bad his December was before he was benched. I have not followed the Raiders or Carr this season and I have no idea if he was injured or there were other factors in play but his December numbers look at lot like Zach Wilson's typical line - with the exception that he beat the Patriots of course.

If the Jets do decide to grab him they really need to figure out why December was so bad. 53.4% completion percentage, 6 TD's and 7 Int's and 6.7 yards per attempt.

8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Sure they will. Show them the $$$$ and they will come. Don't be foolish.

Jets-N-Terps likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

I still have faith in Douglas, although not unlimited. Firing him would really send us back to square zero - AGAIN! - and there's no guarantee that Woody hires anyone better, and more likely hires someone worse. And even if he gets that decision right, it will take 2-3 years at best to get to contention. Douglas has made mistakes for sure but he's also made some great moves. And the reality is that even great GMs have hits and misses (not saying Douglas is great BTW).

And his biggest mistake might well have been choosing Saleh - another defensive minded coach - as HC, and not making sure that they hired an experienced, successful OC and offensive staff to offset that defensive bias that has infected the Jets for decades. Saleh isn't a terrible HC - he's far better than Gase, Bowles, Rex IMO - but he's still learning and he certainly lost control of the team at the end. If they could find a better, more experienced HC I'd be happy. Failing that, they'd better find some magic in the hiring of their OC and other staff because right now this has all the feeling of another wasted year leading into another house cleaning.

Jets79 likes this.
  10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I feel the same…I wanted Daboll because he was a proven offensive guy…would have loved Pederson as well…but you know, why WOULD we want a proven Super Bowl winning HC?

Saleh was my third choice.

that being said, I think he’s learning and we made progress…the defense turned around with better talent and I felt like with a better OL and a legit NFL caliber QB the offense would improve as well…now we’re reduced to interviewing a shit list of OC candidates that so far feel like will be no improvement on MLF…hope I’m wrong but so far the list sucks balls

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. bicketybam

Daboll is known as an offensive guy. Look what happened to the Giants yesterday. They gave up 416 yards with 268 coming on the ground. Meanwhile his offense produced only 227 total yards.

You need a balance of the two to be a championship team. The Giants defense had no answers for the Eagles yesterday and as a result got the shit stomped out of them.

12. BrooklynJetsFan

Eagles have the best combo of OLine and DLine in the NFL. Hurts didn’t have to throw at all to win.

This is the priority. Not a big time QB FA IMO. Jets can be this next year if JD draft and signs correctly.

13. BrooklynJetsFan

Cousins, Tyreek Hill…shall I continue. All used to Jets as bargaining chips for higher deals. No big time FA has come to the Jets since the Favre debacle.

Every smart top agent knows not send their players here. lol.

14. bicketybam

Hill was traded. So yes, please continue.

C.J Mosley took the Jets money.

15. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

If you're bringing in a veteran QB, it's not up to the coaching staff to hold his hand, like they were coddling Zach. The prevailing narrative parroting the Jets are a just a QB away seems a bit disingenuous.

1) Can an OL lacking in stability be shored up, considering the potential expense involved?
    2) Does the Bryce Hall injury create an endurance (and possibly depth) issue at RB?
    3) Is there enough legit depth at WR without clear cut #2 and #3 guys?
    4) Can LB use a speed upgrade by adding some new blood?
    5) Will Jermaine Johnson become the Jets next great edge rusher?
    6) Do Jets sign Quentin now, or do they drag their feet to free up cash?
    7) Can the Jets find an OC who doesn't end up getting in his own way?

Throw in a highly skeptical malcontent fanbase and you're not exactly looking at an ideal landing spot for a hi-profile signal caller. With all those issues needing to be resolved, how can one expect any QB to come to the Jets and compete against a Mahomes, Allen, Lamar, Herbert, Lawrence? Also, throw in Tanny, Russ and Tua if they are able to rebound. No wonder the Jets Ministry of False Hope is working overtime on the hard sell.

16. BrooklynJetsFan

Mosley as the counter is meh. But ok. One in the last decade that chose us over the plethora of other options. yea ok.

And Schefter just said Carr is getting traded….and soon.

17. BrooklynJetsFan

And @ColoradoContrails I absolutely believe Zach Wilson can no doubt perform like Hurts does in a similar style offense if we build the trenches and commit to the run and PA game.

18. ColoradoContrails

Of course you need balance, I've always said that, but this team has been unbalanced to the "D" side for decades. In today's NFL, if you're going to be "unbalanced" you need to be towards the offense end.

There's no question that TB's offense was not as strong as the Chiefs, but they had a stronger defense - under DC Bowles - to win the SB. They did because their owner hired one of the most experienced and successful offensive-minded coaches as their HC and then signed a proven defensive mind in Bowles to balance things.

What did we do? Hired an unproven defensive-minded guy as HC and allowed him to hire an unproven guy as his OC and another one as his QBC. That's SOJ imbalance. That's why they need to hire the equivalent of Bowles to be the OC, at a minimum. All these names of people they've interviewed who are AGAIN unproven as OCs, is the very definition of insanity, matched only by my own insanity for continuing to care about this team.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  19. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Anyone know when players can even be traded?

bicketybam likes this.
  20. Br4d

March 15th, 4pm.

Teams can negotiate trades before that time but cannot file the paperwork to make the trade official.