The next OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Leftwich also worked as the OC with Winston when he threw 30+TDs

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. Justwinit

Justwinit Active Member

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

So the most offensively successful teams are firing their OC but only Jets organization sucks for firing theirs?

We all know it’s part of the NFL business plan for coaches to get fired, these guys are just being recycled through the system until they either hit the jackpot with a FQB or they retire for good.

RevisIsland18 likes this.
  4. Justwinit

Justwinit Active Member

[QUOTE="Justwinit, post: 4294996, member: 4137"

Ralebird and Lon Chaney like this.
  5. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

He's my #1 choice, though I don't think we have a chance at him.

JetFanInNE and cval like this.
  6. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I would go for Leftwich 100%.

I'm sure he'll have better offers though lol.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

"The coach wanted to keep him" does not mean he should have been kept. It means he didn't want to fire his friend and he's illogically married to a "system" which are Saleh's two biggest flaws.

8. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

Hackett + Rodgers

or

Leftwich + Brady?

9. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

I hope they are. I wish each and every one of them nothing but misery and a slight burning sensation when they pee.

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Would that be because they root for the worst run NFL franchise since the merger? 50+ years is a long time to root for a perennial loser yet the fanbase still shows up on Sundays at the Big AC. This isn't some small market, this is the biggest market in the nation and expectations simply have not been met by ownership or the front offices that have come and go. We won't even go into the coaches that didn't win very often if at all..
    Once again, we find ourselves getting out of our own way even when there should be hope. So Woody fires Saleh after two inept years. So what. 7 wins followed by a 6 game complete collapse merits another shot? Only for a franchise used to losing and selling the future to its fanbase. A much better sell would have been another do over rather than have Saleh go dumpster diving for a OC who is half assed competent. In the end, no OC will turn this offense around in a single year and Woody will wind up cleaning house anyway. This was the wrong first job for Saleh and the wrong first hire for JD. Turning around the culture is fine but wins are what matters most, not feel good stories. Guys wanting to be traded doesn't exactly scream this is a good franchise to be in

#390 Cman68, Jan 19, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
    Br4d likes this.
  11. NYsportsfan1962

I think the question is can the Jets get a quality OC without having the QB spot resolved. I tend to think the "top" OC guys available would need to understand that before signing. This may force the Jets to act early with Las Vegas to get Carr and offer them draft picks to secure his services rather than wait for them to release him and he then becomes up for grabs. This is assuming Carr is their first choice. Since LV has to make a decision by the 18th of February the Jets could have that position locked up by then and their OC position becomes much more attractive regardless of the HC being on the hot seat.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, after I wrote what you responded to it occurred to me that getting Hackett might well be the leverage they need to get Rodgers, which I think would be a good move. It's not without risk of course, but Rodgers is still playing at a high level - even if it isn't the same as in his prime - and he happens to be someone Zach idolizes. I wouldn't expect Arod to spend mush, if any, time mentoring Wilson, but Zach could sure learn up close how a great QB operates for a couple of years. This gives the Jets at least 1-2 years of SB-caliber QB play (assuming he stays healthy) and time to allow Zach to figure things out. It will be expensive, but likely not as expensive as getting Lamar, with no greater risk.

KingRoach, SOJAZ and Borat like this.
  13. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

the front office drafted a huge QB bust at 2 that's why

papapump, Br4d and BrowningNagle like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'd be okay with him, but it depends on how well he can work with Zach assuming ZW is still in their future plans.

People can bitch and moan about that all they want, but if the Jets still believe he can be their FQB they absolutely need someone who will be flexible and creative enough to unlock his potential. LaFleur apparently chafed at that from the beginning, even openly criticizing Zach and making him the scapegoat for handcuffing his "brilliant" offensive scheme. While that might well have been true, it's absolutely unprofessional and inexcusable for a coach to openly run down a player and put the blame all on him. That's not "tough love", that's a violation of the trust that needs to exist between a player and his coaches.

And Saleh bears a good bit of blame here too. Why did he do nothing while MLF was blaming certain players (Zach wasn't the only one he blamed) for his offense not working, and for MLF not being flexible enough to change to get it to work? I really don't want to fire Saleh and start from scratch AGAIN, but this failure goes beyond LaFleur.

And yes, of course, Zach has a central part in this, but the CS has much more control over things than he does. That said, Douglas had better take a real hard look at Zach and determine for sure if he's worth keeping and investing in. If I were him, I'd consult with a few really knowledgeable former QBs like Warner and get their honest assessment of ZW.

There's more that needs addressing than the OC at this point.

SOJAZ, KY Jets Fan and cval like this.
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Zack Rosenblatt says Woody meddled in the firing of MLF then by definition he is unlikely to be well-connected in the building any more.

16. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

I think most people around here think Bill O’Brien is getting the job so they’re pretty calm about it

17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

They beat your win expectations, did they not? And I agree that changing the OC without finding a new QB will accomish next to nothing. But they've indicated that they are going to add to the QB room and I believe it will be vet that will start.

Canning Saleh 2 years in would be a joke. Saleh took over a 2 win team and in the second year he had them playing meaningful games in December. The team didn't quit until it was pretty much over. How many coaches are going to the playoffs with Wilson at QB, a decimated OL and the feature back out with injury?

If the point comes that rooting for the Jets brings you nothing but misery, it's time to find a new hobby. Seriously.

18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.