Jets first in line for Lamar Jackson if he becomes available - SNY

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedJetsGreen1981, Jan 9, 2023.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Still think this is a bad idea. Multiple 1's, recent injuries, his top WR going into the season asked for a trade, the amount he's asking for, and his playing style all give me pause.

Carr is my preferred option.

teamgreen, papapump and Br4d like this.
  2. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I feel like as Jets fans we bitch and moan all the time about how desperately we need a franchise quarterback, but whenever a legitimate option comes up we then proceed to talk ourselves out of it for any variety of reasons.

3. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I think for better or worse we’re stuck with him.

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

6. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Multiple firsts, potentially fully guaranteed contract, coming off of two 12 game seasons (including missing a playoff game).

He's a beast, and will probably walk into the building as the Jets best QB ever, but if it doesnt work out, the franchise is set back years.

Jets-N-Terps likes this.
  7. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

8. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The Jets have gone both the rookie and vet stop gap QB for the last 50 years, it hasn’t worked. They traded for Favre in 08’ and were one of the best teams in football until his arm fell off.

Swing for the g’damn fences and if it doesn’t work out, at least you tried. Lamar is a 26 year old QB with an MVP season under his belt.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is the logic that led to two great seasons in 2009 and 2010 and then a 12 year run as sad sacks of the AFC East.

I want the Jets to build a team that lasts not to swing hard and wind up on the ground again after the dust has cleared.

teamgreen and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. NYJFOREVER

The 2009 and 2010 teams were mostly high priced, aging veterans brought in. The Jets made first round picks in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, all the way to 2022. The wheels fell off because Rex and his coaching staff couldn’t develop players and the GM completely neglected the offensive side of the ball.

Then we had John Idzik make 12 draft picks and miss on EVERY SINGLE PICK. Draft picks are resources. I’m cool with using resources to lock up the QB position for 7+ years.

The Jets are in this hole because they’ve had sad sacks of shit in the front office for 10 years.

Oh yeah, the Jets best season from a QB ever is fucking Ryan Fitzpatrick. Maybe that’s why they’ve sucked for 12 years. It’s a QB driven league and they haven’t had a franchise type QB since the early 70s.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Thanks for this. Aside from laying out pretty clearly the pros and cons of getting Jackson, it supports my original assertion that his accuracy is a question mark, to which @dawinner127 countered with:

Initially I recanted, but after reading this article it supports my original claim.

Frankly, the Jets could get this level of performance, or close to it, with Zach, especially if they were to change their scheme to better suit him as the Ravens did with Jackson. And it would be a whole lot cheaper.

This reinforces my belief that the Jets should stay away from Lamar.

#191 ColoradoContrails, Jan 17, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
    teamgreen likes this.
  12. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Are you too young to remember Vinny Testaverde's 1998 campaign?

Borat likes this.
  13. NYJFOREVER

I am.

My post was mainly referencing the QBs we’ve had during this 12 year playoff draught.

14. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Zach Wilson blows. He is the worst QB in the league at almost every metric. He is on par with Ryan Leaf, Josh Rosen, and Jamarcus Russell. You can pick which one you want to compare him to, but to sit there and say you can get similar performances from Zach is so ridiculous.

Lamar won an MVP and led the league in passing TDs in '19. Just stop it.

15. NYJFOREVER

Zach Wilson can’t even function in the same offense that has Brock Purdy playing at a top 10 level, and you think he can put up an MVP level performance like Lamar Jackson has?

I fully understand the arguments of not wanting to trade picks + pay Lamar crazy money, but to say Wilson can do anything remotely close to what Lamar Jackson has done in the NFL is absolutely absurd.

Holy fucking hell this board.

stinkyB, Losmeister, Ralebird and 4 others like this.
  16. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

Im not big on getting Lamar, but his “ regression “ had a lot to do with his horrendous weapons

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

The way I understand things they don't award you anything in your past performance for your current situation. Jackson may well be on a non-stop slide to mediocrity. The Ravens seem to think so.

And I wasn't saying that Zach is as good a Lamar, but if you watch those video snips in the article Lamar is doing the same things that Zach has been crucified for, and held up as "proof" that he'll never be a good QB. My point was that since Lamar has had these same issues and the Ravens and he have been able to overcome them, maybe the Jets and Zach could the same...and it would cost them 2-3 first rounders plus few more lower picks and $250-300M in salary.

dmw likes this.
  18. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

My concern is that running QBs often getting injured and their running skills often deteriorate quickly.

19. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I am praying that somehow Wilson works out and that we didn't waste the #2 overall pick. That said, what makes you think we could get Jackson's level of performance out of him? Honestly I've seen nothing that indicates that.

HomeoftheJets, Borat and dmw like this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

So your definition of a good QB is that he can play in ANY offense without any impact on his performance? LOL!

And where did I say Zach could deliver an MVP performance? And are you certain that Lamar will ever return to that form? If you're Douglas, are you willing to bet your career on that (because GMs almost never get a second chance)? Or if you're Woody, are you willing to bet $250-300M in that?

Or does it make more sense to sign a much cheaper option like Carr, or Tannehill, and keep Zach and hope he can find his way with a different OC and scheme? Is that really such an outrageous approach?

#200 ColoradoContrails, Jan 17, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2023