Jets first in line for Lamar Jackson if he becomes available - SNY

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedJetsGreen1981, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t have a definitive opinion on it quite yet as I’m still mulling it over.

But I will say, you have to factor in that getting a player like Lamar or any big time quarterback (regardless of play style) is supposed to mask some deficiencies across the roster.

Short term it looks like we’d have Lamar and a disastrous roster next year. But if you have two defensive All-Pro’s, and maybe two future Pro Bowlers on offense in AVT and Wilson, you have building blocks.

KY Jets Fan and bicketybam like this.
  2. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

No, I said if I’m entertaining the option of paying a quarter of a billion dollars on QB to fix the mistake JD made, then I’m making sure I have the staff that has proven itself already that they can win . To me the horse has left the barn. I don’t believe in any of the big QB’s that are on the market, certainly not for the cost they want. So if Im the owner Im telling JD that he needs to own his decisions and find a way to make it work. If it doesn’t work this season then Im cleaning house and looking to draft a new QB in 2024.

3. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

No thanks, he is not durable and will not last a season. Also, we just witnessed two thired string QB play exceptionally. Sign a bridge QB and let ZW sit - if that is the plan... Frankly, my hope is they would trade him but doubt there is any value and we probably have to eat most of his contract.

Also, why would I trade Q who frankly makes the DL work when he is in, lock him up....

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

We’ve tried the high first rd draft pick, we’ve tried the mid round pick, we’ve tried the veteran stop gap, all failures. What we haven’t tried is the ready made superstar QB that’s in the prime of his career.

Jets have a roster full of young talent and can afford to give up the draft picks it will take.

Go get Lamar and let’s compete for the next 3 SBs minimum.

Ralebird and NYJFOREVER like this.
  5. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

The Ravens have been competing for Super Bowls? I must need a new tv because that didn’t look like Lamar last night. Didn’t look like him last year either. Didn’t look like it in 2020 either with his 0 TD’s and 2 INT’s in 2 games.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Given that it's very rare for a team to win multiple SBs (>1) in a decade - with the Cheats being the rare exception - it might seem worth it to go all in and just try to win one at any cost, even if you then sink into the wilderness for the next 8-9 years because of the cost in draft picks and CAP space you had to invest. To some Jets fans that's a no brainer, they'd take that deal in a minute.

But there are no guarantees that having sunk that cost that win even one SB, nor that you'll only spend the next decade floundering. In a sense this is what Tanny tried to do when Rex was hired and look what happened.

We're close now, and also have a pretty solid young core of talent. I'd prefer to continue investing in that and building a long term sustainable contender.

bicketybam likes this.
  7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

So you are ok with giving Zach another chance and not signing a top tier FA QB. That's all I was looking for. Thank you .

8. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I'm not sure you're aware, but the "LaFleur Offense" parted ways with the Jets over a week ago.

9. ColoradoContrails

I'm not so sure of that. Saleh is still here and may want to stick with that concept (although I think it would be a mistake).

dmw likes this.
  10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I mean, those are the biggest assets we would give up when it comes to a Lamar trade. I don't see much difference in 2-3 1's and 2-3 1's plus a 4 and a 5. The massive contract is also a given or implied when you trade for a top 10 QB in his prime.

Plus as @Jonathan_Vilma pointed out, his style of play can easily last a few more years. Not to mention he's already a 64% (rounded up, 63.7%) passer on his career. I'm sure he would like to continue playing past 30 so who's to say he can't adapt his style of play over the next few years to become less reliant on his legs and more reliant on his arm?

11. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Yes, it's risky, no doubt.

12. ColoradoContrails

FYI: Here's an article that lays out all (or most of) the QB trades since the Charlie Conerly trade to the Giants. I'm not sure why, but trades of "FQB" pre-merger seemed to be more successful. If I had to guess, I'd say it was because the style of play didn't require a great passing QB back then. In any case since the Seventies, teams that traded for a FQB didn't seem to come out ahead usually.

Cautionary tales.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/arti...k_trades_in_nfl_history/s1__28469687#slide_26

13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Everyone does realize that having a guy like Lamar makes it so much easier to win games and compete in the playoffs, even if your roster isn't perfect, right?

Look at KC, sure they have a few studs outside of Mahomes (Chris Jones, Kelce, Orlando Brown Jr., Creed Humphrey, Thuney) but the rest of their roster is just solid guys. Juju, MVS, Pacheco, McKinnon, and almost everyone on D outside of Jones. They're just solid. I don't see a roster full of Pro Bowlers/All Pros but having a guy like Mahomes elevates everyone.

That's what getting a guy like Lamar could do for this team. You don't HAVE to have studs across the board when you have a top 10 QB. Lamar isn't Mahomes, I get that but he's about as close as we're going to get right now. With the roster that we already have locked in for the next 2-3 years, we have a very solid, young core that's on relatively cheap deals. This is the perfect time to strike for a top 10 QB that's in his prime IMO. We can figure all the rest out down the road.

dawinner127 and Snatch Catch like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Good article but any trade for Lamar would be pretty unprecedented. There’s never been a 26 year old quarterback of his calibre available for trade. Wilson was 33 when he was dealt and never won a MVP.

Deshaun Watson doesn’t really count in my mind because he went so long between games without it being because of an injury and he was diddling himself in front of women at such a frequent pace.

So if/when we see this trade go through, it’ll pretty much be the first of its kind.

15. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

6 reasons why the Jets should NOT go after Lamar Jackson

1) Lamar Jackson was offered a 250 million dollar contract with 133 million guaranteed and LJ turned it down. Since then the price had only gone up. It would cost the Jets at least 250 million (probably more) and the Jets would need to guaranteed at least 150 million. Can you say cost prohibitive?

2) It would cost the Jets big time to acquire him. The Ravens are not simply going to let him hit free agency. They will franchise tag him and then in order for the Jets to acquire him it would 2 1st round draft choices at a minimum. That's called mortgaging your future when the Jets still need their draft choices to add badly needed talent.

3) Lamar Jackson gets injured a lot. LJ has missed 10 games over the last two seasons. I don't like his playing style. Nothing against LJ but specifically because of his constant running with the ball he misses too many games. Staying healthy is very important and anyone who watched our OL this season knows that.

4) The Jets would need to drastically change their offensive compliment of players. The Ravens can't keep good WR's on the team as playing with a run heavy offense like LJ runs leaves WR's disappointed in the amount of touches they get. LJ pretty much just throws to his TE. The Ravens were forced to trade Hollywood Brown because he was dissatisfied with how often he got the ball. The Jets already have a disgruntled WR in Elijah Moore. He was dissatisfied with how little he got the ball from Zach. I can't see that changing if LJ becomes the Jets QB. Besides, what in the world would want any OC to reduce the amount of touches Garrett Wilson gets? Wilson is a superstar and if anything the Jets should get Garrett Wilson the ball more often.

5) The Jets offense is currently designed to accommodate a pocket passer and LJ just isn't enough of one.

6) The Jets have a playoff mandate for 2023. If you need to retool the offense to go heavier on blockers for the running game the Jets don't currently have that. So I submit that the transition of taking LJ on would surely result in a dip in offensive production in 2023. If the Jets don't make the playoffs JD and Saleh are gone simple as that.

dmw likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

There is a lot about Lamar Jackson that is unprecedented

His style of play, his mom as his agent...

17. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

The whole blaming of this contract situation on Lamar and/or him not having an agent is such crap to me.

In the 2016 draft there were two QBs who were pretty good, but not great. They both landed massive extensions when the time came despite producing kind of mid results.

In 2017 there were two hits on QBs, Mahomes and Watson, and they both got massive extensions when the time came.

In 2018 there were two hits on QB, Allen and Jackson. Allen got a massive extension as soon as he was eligible.

In 2019 there was one clear hit at QB, Kyler Murray. He already has a massive extension.

The Ravens are treating their FQB, a guy who has literally won an MVP award, the way the Giants treated Daniel Jones, or the Bears treated Mitch Trubisky. It's a complete joke to me. Blaming it on the lack of an agent is shielding the Ravens from the vitriol that should be aimed their way. If it's really about injury concern or play style, then they should leak that and own the responsibility for the way this has played out - it's not hard. Instead they're trying to have their cake and eat it too - making Lamar look like he's incompetent or stupid while also getting to use him up with limited risk, and then discard him when they're through.

Maybe there's more to the situation, but on the surface it looks like an absolutely BS job by the Ravens and their FO. Lesser QBs have gotten massive extensions because they're young starters in the NFL who have upside. Free agent QBs have gotten massive contracts simply because they can play QB competently in the league. The Ravens trying to pin the lack of an extension on Lamar, when it's clearly them going against every bit of precedent in the league when it comes to extending QBs.

sozopol, BleedJetsGreen1981 and Borat like this.
  18. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Interesting...

BleedJetsGreen1981 and Borat like this.
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The hand job charges came after he was on the market. I remember Jets and Dolphins were the favorites to land him with 2nd or 3d overall as a part of the package. Once charges came up, the market died down until a year later when he was cleared. Watson was the first of its kind. He was a top 5 QB at the time too, led the league in passing yards in spite of no weapons.

20. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I love QW but would have no problem including him a a centerpiece to get Lamar.

Look at the AFC. These qbs are young and great. You aren't competing in the next decade unless you have a stud at QB.

It's like 2009/2010. Jets had a top 5 defense and could beat anyone on a given Sunday. But running the gauntlet of Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, Rivers was too much.

Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Lawrence (maybe) and what is Russ regains form with a new coach?