2023 Jets QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by blackssmagic, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You picked a random category with miniscule 6 game sample over 9 years. Please. I can also pick some random sample. How about a QB with 4000+ yards and 10 or fewer interceptions? The only people who achieved it 3+ times are Carr, Rodgers, Manning, and Brady. How about most game winning drives since 2014? Yes, it is Carr. Btw, my samples are more than 6 games. Does that mean Carr is the future HOFer and most clutch QB in NFL, as long as the weather is above 37%? Of course not. You need to look at things in context and consider sample size.

I am not worried about Carr in cold weather. That's a random stat with small sample size. I am worried that his production is down this year. But he had a year like that before and rebounded, still young, and I just don't see any better options realistically. Give me Carr on two year guaranteed deal 25-30 mil per, plus 3d team option, OC in Greg Olson, his old coach, and I like our chances to make play-offs next year.

#261 Borat, Jan 16, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Being out here in Los Angeles I've seen a lot of Raider games.

Derek Carr may not be "elite"... but he'd seriously improve our quarterback situation.

I'm ok with a few names being bandied about... but Carr may be the best fit... all things considered.

3. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd still give up a ton for Lamar. I'm pushing all chips in to obtain him - this is the type of guy they've patiently been keeping the powder dry for. He's got all the talent, student of the game, hard worker, former MVP, wins games, and he's still ridiculously young.

Lamar Jackson is younger than Ashtyn Davis, JFM, DJ Reed, and Quincy Williams, and somehow just 7 months older than Michael Clemons.

I'm sure BAL isn't going to let him go, but If Douglas can figure out a way to pry him loose, all bets are off on me remaining objective about next season.

JetFanInNE and dawinner127 like this.
  4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The Jets played two games this year in temperatures in the 30s; official temperature was 36 and 38 for them. They played four games with temperatures in the 40s; let's not get carried away here with making believe the Jets play in the Arctic League.

#264 Ralebird, Jan 16, 2023
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Exactly.. Listening to some opinions around here, you'd think these were the Fairbanks Jets we're talking about.. We really don't get the super cold temps for long periods of time anymore. Give it a name if you like but as Rale pointed out, the howling winds and artic temps are relics from a bygone era of the NFL. We play in Buffalo, we play in Miami too. Foxborough gets snowy and rainy, but rarely frigid. Carr should be our guy and it doesn't necessarily follow that Carr's arrival means the end for zwilson as a Jet.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

McCown and Carr 1000% do not have similar stats.
    There’s no way for this question to not sound snippy but I swear it isn’t and I’m actually asking your opinion: does it say anything to you that a team replacing Lamar with a second year backup for 6 games went 3-3, made the playoffs and were a fluke play/terrible coaching away from winning on the road?

Is Roman just that good? Is the defense and running game that elite?

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

2nd in rushing in the league this year. Recently tied an NFL record for most consecutive games with 100+ yards rushing in the history of the game. Yes their rushing offense is elite

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

Carr is the opposite of Sack Wilson

He plays very controlled from the pocket and avoids off platform throws/plays so much, often to his detriment

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

Exactly, that’s why I brought it up. I’m just saying the team was arguably just as good with a backup running the show. The team is kinda foolproof. Obviously Lamar is better but what happens when he doesn’t have Greg Roman designing the perfect offense for him?

10. BrowningNagle

Idk about all that

The Ravens are 15-9 when Lamar Jackson has started the last 2 seasons and 3-7 when he hasn't. I wouldn't say that's "arguably as good".

To me that's a considerable difference. But they were close last night until the backup QB fumbled and blew the game I guess

11. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Fwiw if the team gets better we’d be playing meaningful games in December and January and preferably home games.

so small sample size on Carr or not there is a large sample size saying December and January are cold

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

The Ravens went 3-3 without Jackson the last 6 weeks of the season, made the playoffs and were a fluke play plus some terrible coaching away from an upset on the road. I’d say the drop off from Lamar to the backup wasn’t that significant.

13. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I understand the question, and agree it's worth delving into, but in the end I don't believe it does anything about my opinion of Lamar Jackson. After years of production and winning, I don't think he can be reduced to a 4 game sample - especially one that isn't even demonstrably conclusive on it's face.

In the 11 games Lamar played, the Ravens averaged 28.6 PPG

In the 7 games Lamar missed, the Ravens averaged 13.1 PPG

Denver, the worst scoring team in the NFL, averaged 16.9 PPG this season. That (17) was actually the maximum points BAL scored in any of the 7 games Jackson has missed.

14. BroadwayAaron

The years of sample size was going to be my next point. He’s been in elite football player without question, but where have they gone? And I think those ravens teams have been just as good if not better than the current iteration of our Jets. If you put Garrett Wilson on any of those ravens teams, are they getting to the Super Bowl let alone winning one? I don’t think they do. I think there are severe limitations that make it hard for a Lamar Jackson led team to go all the way. And as he gets older and more injured (yet another concern of mine) he’s not going to keep playing at that elite level.

And just so we are clear here. The problem isn’t really Lamar Jackson himself, it’s the fact that we are going to have to surrender all of our most valuable draft capital and give him an asinine contract that without question hampers your ability to get better regardless of whether or not the cap id “a myth“.

15. BrowningNagle

huge difference

they would be stupid to let him go

Snatch Catch likes this.
  16. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

They beat Denver by 1
    They beat Pittsburgh by 2
    They lost to Cleveland by 10
    They beat Atlanta by 8
    They lost to Pittsburgh by 3
    They lost to Cincinatti by 11

Let's not act like they went 3-3 because their backup QB was incredible.

17. BrowningNagle

if anything they need a better backup. Tyler Huntley, come on now... he doesnt make a pimple on Lamar Jackson's ass!

in those victories you mention their defense was lights out yielding 14, 9 and 9 points. Even last night their defense was IMO pretty amazing for keeping Joe Burrow & that dynamic Bengals offense down on the road. They only yielded 17 points and woulda won if Huntley didn't lose the game with his fumble.

Lamar Jackson wins that game 28-17

Nyjets4eva and dawinner127 like this.
  18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That is an interesting take. We don't know what happened in the locker room or practice field either, but that is definitely a possibility. I don't see why Zach would not be accountable though. Even after the Patriots game when he said no, he was just answering a question to get off the podium. He did not want to be there. He had to know he was terrible and only scored 3 points that game. He isn't delusional. It was more about his on-field play, than his attitude. Again, that is my opinion without knowing what goes on behind closed doors at One Jets Drive.

bicketybam and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I think I've come to this conclusion too.

Was just looking at stats. Namath is the only Jets QB to hit 4,000 yards in a season (4,007). Ryan Fitzpatrick was close in 2015 with 3,905.

Derek Carr has eclipsed 4,000 yards 4x (and eclipsed Namath's record in all of them) and passed Fitzpatrick's Jet record 2x. So Derek Carr would be the Jets' single-season passing leader in each of the first 6 slots with Namath being 7th and Fitzpatrick being 8th (instead of 1 and 2).

#279 GQMartin, Jan 16, 2023
    Borat likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And here's another point that's not being talked about that much: Lamar isn't the most accurate passer, and never has been. Nor will he likely learn to become one. For all those who have been ragging on Zach for his poor mechanics when he leaves the pocket, Lamar is arguably worse - at least Zach proved that at one time, and at times on the Jets, he can set his feet and make good throws. Frankly I haven't watched Jackson, but is he capable of this? Because as he gets older and hit more and more he's going to need to rely on his arm more than his legs if he wants a longer career. The history of "mobile" QBs doesn't bode well for Lamar's long term success, nor whatever team he's on.