Jets first in line for Lamar Jackson if he becomes available - SNY

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedJetsGreen1981, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’m not a huge fan of trading a boatload of picks and giving him a huge guaranteed deal like he’s looking for. Baltimore tailored their whole offense around him…I don’t know who we’re going to get as OC but I’m pretty confident in saying that our coaching staff is not even close to the level of Baltimore. So I’m not confident that we could maximize Lamar nor am I confident that a running QB can stay healthy when he’s already missed a lot of time with injuries.

a deal like this would hurt in terms of BOTH draft picks AND cap space.

I just can’t see it working out well…

I consider Baltimore one of the best run teams in the league…there’s a reason they can’t get this worked out…

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is why I said it is a big risk. You wrote all the negatives. What about the potential positives? He plays great, the defense can't defend him, Hall, and Wilson at the same time. It would be a nightmare to scheme against. Complimentary football would work much better with the offense running the ball and staying on the field, allowing the defense to rest. They could be Super Bowl contenders and potentially win one.

So it definitely goes both ways.

3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I agree but I believe the negatives outweigh the positives.

Can you imagine Lamar as the starter and White as the backup? You would be playing your 3rd string guy in December.

Section 336 and The Dark Knight like this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yep. That is definitely the risk. And you factored in the Jets' luck too, which is exactly how things would go. :D

AJW, NY Jets68 and bicketybam like this.
  5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I could be mistaken, but this is the first time I’ve heard Harbaugh not come out and back Lamar actually being hurt.

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I wouldn't even consider it. He's been hurt the last 2 years, is going to ask for a gigantic contract, the offense would have to be overhauled for him, and I don't see his style of play aging well.

7. dawinner127

8. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Don’t you mean October?

9. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

The only upside of this is that I would get to rock a current Jets Qb on my Madden24 Jets Theme Team in MUT next year.
    Instead of using guys like Vick, Tebow, Geno, Fitz or Brunell who have all been part of my team this year at some point.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  10. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Don't want him.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. dawinner127

People really don’t want a 26 year old former mvp who led the league in passing TDs while throwing to JAGs but are okay signing Jimmy G who was just replaced by the last pick in the draft and looks just as good as Jimmy G ever has.

It doesn’t worry anyone that Purdy looks this good in the same offense that Jimmy was in?

Losmeister, Borat, NYJFOREVER and 2 others like this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think that’s over simplifying it. I don’t want the Jets to give up a ton of assets and $300 million in guaranteed money, but of course I’d want Lamar Jackson.

It’s worrisome on the other side too. If not for a dumb play, Tyler Huntley basically out-dueled Burrow last night in the same offense.

Aero likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I would move hell and earth for Lamar Jackson

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Pistol offense, Lamar Jackson with the option to run it himself, flip to Breece Hall on a head-start or pull it back and launch it down field to Garrett Wilson.

You are just wrong if you think that’s not an awesome idea

15. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

And then out for the year with knee injuries. The missed time will only get worse. He won’t be playing QB at 35

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

i want nothing to do with Lamar....
    1. I do not trust this staff to use him the way he is suppose to. You have to design your offense around him.
    2. He hasnt been the same since 2020
    3. He has been hurt the past two years
    4. Because of all of the reasons above, giving up all this draft capital would be bad
    5. he wants more money then watson, no thanks
    6. if the ravens move on from him - one of the best run teams in the NFL, isnt that a red flag?

Jets79, ouchy and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If we are giving up draft picks for a veteran give me Laremy Tunsil.

18. dawinner127

Fortunately for us that's 10 years away.

Yeah I get it and it is definitely a lot to give up. I just don't think he will be asked to do as much here than he currently is in Balt which should probably save him a little bit. A lot us on this board are just asking for mediocre QB with this offense and we should win 10 games. Can't imagine shying away from the possibility of a top 7 QB who can straight up put the team on his back if needed. Breece and Lamar in the backfield would be terrifying.

1. Fortunately the entire offensive staff is being revamped so we don't have to worry about that.
    2. Ravens had the most banged up team in the league last year. They lost 3 RBs before week 1 even kicked off. He is throwing to Devin Duvernay and Marquise Brown.
    3. Not much to argue here. I do think this not playing right now is because he wants his contract, yes can be another red flag, but look what happened to RG3 when he just put a brace on it and played.
    4. Disagree
    5. He has an MVP, Watson doesn't? What's the issue?
    6. Sometimes marriages don't work out. Is what it is.

If they tag him to the nonexclusive it's only 2 1s.

19. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

This is maybe the first time we’ve ever agreed on something. This team hasn’t had a QB of Jackson’s caliber in 50 years.

I’ll gladly trade 3 mystery boxes for the fucking yacht

Losmeister and KY Jets Fan like this.
  20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

A few things: Quinnen is the backbone of our Defense. Love it or hate it, as long as Saleh is our HC, our Defense goes through our Dline. If JoeD trades Q, he will undermine everything his HC is about. Not that it wouldn't solve some cap issues, and not that it couldn't be justified to land a FQB, but I just don't see Q going anywhere, not yet.

Second, our Oline is fine just the way it is. I know fans don't wanna put Becton in the egg basket, but he's here, a high draft pick, and when healthy Becton is a top LT, the 2nd most important position after QB. Herbig and Max Mitchell will man the right side, Beton and Vera-Tucker the left. If JoeD goes Oline in the upcoming draft, it will be for a center plus a late rounder (possibly). But other than that, our line has the potential to be top 10 next season. With Breece Hall, maybe even higher.

Trading our #13 in this draft is not impossible. JoeD already had Quinnen, Becton, Vera-Tucker, Zack Wilson, Sauce, Garrett, and Jermain, all 1st round picks, he'll need to re-up pretty soon (plus Breece and E.Moore). NOT having yet another 1st round pick to re-up may mean we get to keep Sauce, or Garrett, or Breece, etc, pick one.

Our window is the next 2 seasons. If JoeD mortgages our cap-future, it will be for a QB who can take us to the promise land NOW, not in 3-5 years with another developmental QB.

Aaron or Brady will be his #1 get-attempt.