The next OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

He stunk. Moore wanting trade, GW doesn’t even start the season, he is on the bench for a scrub TE. Rookie TE doesn’t play until last game. I know you love his routes, but he literally runs the longest developing routes with the absolutely worse Oline in NFL. Empty backfield on 3rd and 1. Sucks in red zone. Throws the ball 50 plus times a game. The dude stunk. Last year, this year.

burf and SOJAZ like this.
  2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Actually, MILF could be a good option for McVay as OC. McVay calls the plays, and MILF would be basically learning under him, like he did with Shanahan, but now with more experience and having a bigger role. But he is not the main guy who handles all offense, which he had to do for the Jets. I hope he scores that gig, he seems like a good guy, who does take responsibility among other things. Just needs some seasoning, and McVay is a perfect guy for that.

As far as NE TE coach, I have to believe this is just to gather info. I just can't imagine that after letting MILF go, we will get a nobody like that. But what if we get someone like Greg Olson (or Reich) and maybe Carr to go along with him. I think this would be something that makes more sense for the Jets than to run it back with MILF.

KY Jets Fan, SOJAZ and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter. He's gone.

Everyone got what they wanted.

Now I expect the best offense I've seen In a long time to happen this season. It better happen. No excuse now from any of you, you got what you wanted, I expect to see a much improved offense now.

blackssmagic and KingRoach like this.
  4. IIMeanDeanII

I hope you're right.

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

And if this doesn't happen because JD and Saleh brought in some inexperienced coordinator trying to pass him off as the new OC? It will turn nasty pretty damn quick in the New York market. There won't be anywhere to hide from the vitriol that this FO/CS will get from the sports media, the fanbase and the zillion podcasts. They won't get two years to make this thing work so they better get this shit right the first time through.

Jojo, blackssmagic, SOJAZ and 3 others like this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Shouldnt that have been the expectation regardless?

Ralebird likes this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yep. JD and Saleh are squarely on the button right now. Any significant missteps will likely bring the house down around them. There are two missteps that it will not be possible to hide from - those being an inexperienced OC who is not up to the job and a failure at QB similar to the last two seasons. There is one that will affect everything else which is failing to fix the OL or having it disintegrate in Oct/Nov/Dec again.

It's really a very precarious position and if the Jets don't get things just right it's all going to come down.

Odds favor a reset in 2024 at this point.

IIMeanDeanII and Cman68 like this.
  8. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Keep seeing posts about Olson and Carr. I keep reading though that Carr is a horrible cold weather QB. Does anyone know differently.

separately I know nothing about the Pats guy but would like to think he has some ideas on how to play in tough weather

9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If we are trying to get a veteran QB we have a chicken and egg problem.

Do we get the QB and find the OC that fits him?

Do we get the OC and find the QB that fits his system?

blackssmagic, NY Jets68 and Since1969 like this.
  10. Br4d

QB's are rarer beasts than OC's. Should find the QB then fit the OC.

blackssmagic and James Hasty like this.
  11. IIMeanDeanII

With a healthy team, yeah. I was expecting the big jump In year 3 though. My expectations changed though after watching the back ups to the back ups on OL and the QB carousel shit show last season.

This year. It's all or nothing.

12. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

13. IIMeanDeanII

Is that literally all we are doing? Interviewing no exp coaches or coaches coming from failed offenses for the OC position?

So, we push out the guy the HC Is familiar with, who he trusts, who he believed In. Get rid of a system that the HC also knows.

for.....?

I hope this list of candidates gets inspiring soon. Fuck sakes.

Cman68, Jets79 and Borat like this.
  14. Br4d

The Jets offense was just putrid for most of the two years the OC ran the system.

You don't get that in the NFL and then get another year.

We have no idea what the conversations behind the scenes between Saleh and LaFleur were like but the play calling in the games was similarly putrid.

KY Jets Fan and Ralebird like this.
  15. IIMeanDeanII

.. and we had more injuries on offense than most teams.

When do we start looking to that as a problem?

We want to keep pretending we have a roster littered with pro bowlers on the offensive side of the ball. We have a few stars In the making, then we have okay starters to compliment that, when those pieces go down, things tend to go south.

MLF wasn't the sole reason by any stretch of the imagination.

.. and this certainly doesn't solve anything as of now either.

You push a guy out the door with no credible replacement? Given the issues that this offense dealt with. Which were extreme issues as well. It will never make sense to me.

This Is asinine to me.

The play calling was fine. The players didn't execute. MLF was extremely limited with what he could do, especially when you realize the backups to the backups were literally all along that line during the great collapse.

Just saying It needed to happen, without a legit plan B, is also asinine.

Jets fans were saying the same shit about Ulbrich last season, then they flipped the script.

.. but, no, surely that wouldn't have happened with MLF. Even though Jet fans were wrong about the defensive side of things last season. Thankfully NYJ fans didn't get their way there, unfortunately, they did with the offense.

Now, we get to wait and watch the train crash together.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t really know what you expect? Great offensive coordinators become head coaches pretty quickly. If they fail, they bounce around the league and will have a mixed bag of good and bad offenses.

17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Unfortunately you can't interview other OCs first and find a replacement, then fire previous coach, once you have the replacement secured: that's not how things work. Granted it is scary to hear some of the names, but I think there is a method to the madness, and that method is to find out different ideas and info around the league, even if you have no plans to hire some guys. This is the opportunity to do so, at least I hope that's the method! At the end of the day the only name that matters is the one we end up with. Let's see that first before we really start defecating all over JD and Saleh's faces.

As far watching the train crash together, isn't it what we have just done in Dec and Jan? And MILF was the driver of that train.

18. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Joe B was a fking disaster in Carolina... that is why he got canned. His PC and schemes were terrible

IIMeanDeanII and Borat like this.
  19. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Hire Greg Olson. period. he is more qualified than any of the other so called interviewees ... this is not that difficult...but like the fools in WDC, they think its improtant to have the right optics rather then substantive substance. What a cluster F...

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He was, but I think he’s a pretty good offensive mind overall. He also coordinated a team that spent their entire draft on defense with back to back career backups as his QB.

Sometimes you have to take cracks at guys like that. Sometimes you don’t and maybe we need experience.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.