Woody speaks : No playoff mandate for 2023

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GREG, Jan 12, 2023.

1. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

\The NY Post stats that he did say there was a PO mandate...

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If we go 10-7 next season, but miss the playoffs because the tiebreakers don't go in our favor, I don't believe that should be the end of this regime. OTOH, a 4-13 type year should lead to a housecleaning.

Trainer and JetFanInNE like this.
  3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Of course there Is a playoff mandate, this Is just an attempt to look the part In hopes of not scaring away a quality OC for this team.

Woody. Is. A. Fucking moron.

Everyone fucking knows It.. Okay though. Nice optics, Dick Head.

4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Lol. Temporary truce. :)

burf and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

If one didn’t know any better they’d think you weren’t very fond of the team’s owner…

bicketybam likes this.
  6. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

He can’t give a playoff mandate and expect to hire a competent coach for an OC. Go ahead and tell Frank Reich or Bevell he’s gotta make the playoffs with Zach Wilson or he’ll be fired in a year.

7. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Kinda strange the Jets haven't upped any video of his presser yet.
    One thing about the Woodmeister, he aint the smartest pup in the Johnson family.
    Imagine being a multi-billionaire, a honcho of a zillion$ corporation, owner of a multiple billion$ Jets franchise, and at a presser, he states something to the effect that he'll spend big bucks on a vet QB.
    I'm sure that was music to Quinnen's, & potential QBs ears.
    What a dumb schmuck! How stupid do you have to be, to make a statement like that, when it's your money that's being negotiated?
    With smarts like that, it's a wonder he ever was able to single-handedly build a multi-billion$ industry.
    Oh, I forgot... he was born. That's all he needed to do.

That said... whether he instigated MLF's departure, or just let it happen, a warm & fuzzy thanks to Woody,
    for whatever he did or didn't do!
    Judging by the past two years, unless they bring in Pierre LaFleur, I'll be happy whoever they bring in as OC.
    I can't see the O look any worse than it has been, unless next season is a shutout.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  8. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

No playoff mandate, but they sure as hell need to have a winning record.

9. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Guess one can say Woody is not into Man Dates.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What "zillion$ corporation"? He runs a charitable foundation.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

An 8-9 season next year should be the end of this regime. 7-9, 2-14, 4-13, 7-10, 8-9 and out.

9-8, 10-7 no playoffs depends on how the team finished. If they got out to another rabbit start and then died in December clean out the stables because the stench is overwhelming at that point.

12. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

You didn't get the memo? He runs J&J and made BILLIONS from Covid

13. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Woody should be drug tested if he still believes in Zach

14. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

pro tip:

just because he tells the media there isn't a playoff mandate, doesn't mean there isn't a playoff mandate.

15. Ralebird

There are dopes here who believe that.

16. Ralebird

Established Pro Tip: Just because some uninformed message board wag conjures up in his mind that a mandate exists doesn't mean anyone needs to believe it.

17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

People give Bevell credit for SB in Seattle, but the offense was always mediocre there, in spite of one of the best QBs at the time in Russ Wilson. They also had amazing defense who got them the ball back a lot. And this is besides making the worst call in SB history against NE. He was also mediocre in Detroit with another really good QB - Stafford. Then led the Jags offense to 32nd best showing in NFL and having generational QB prospect rookie Lawrence as second worst QB in NFL ahead of only Zach Wilson. To me - this is not what I see as a competent OC. I'd rather have MILF than Bevell. Maybe my expectations are too high but for an OC, we gotta do better, we just have to.

Reich is a different story. He did have a pretty bad 2022, but prior to that Colts offense was top 10 in scoring two years in a row. We know he can be competent and good offensively even with subpar QBs. This is way above Bevell's level, who was mediocre to terrible with really good QBs.

NY Jets68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Reich has the pedigree and experience, but what concerns me is that he brought Wentz to Indianapolis because he thought he could fix him. That didn't work out well.

It worries me because the new OC will have a voice in the decisions on whether Wilson can be fixed, whether to bring in a veteran QB and which veteran QB to bring in. As his been mentioned in earlier threads, all of the veteran QBs who will be available have red flags, so the decision on which veteran to bring in shapes up as the most crucial decision facing the front office and coaching staff. This is a decision the Jets have to get right.

#38 Since1969, Jan 14, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
  19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I have doubts Saleh will hire anyone that could be a threat to his job. Reich has far more experiencce both being a successful OC and a HC. If Woody has another shit fit, guess who would be first in line for the HC job? Saleh will try to sell us on some unproven, inexperienced up and coming coordinator as MLF's replacement. If that experiment fails, and it will, Saleh knows he's a goner anyway.

NY Jets68, Br4d and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This is why I posted in another thread that I have a strange feeling that Saleh's job may not be so safe either. Depending on who Douglas (Woody) wants to bring in as OC, they may decide it would be better to just clean house entirely.

I'm not advocating for this, but I just have a feeling things aren't yet settled with the CS. And when I step back and look at Saleh's record it's not necessarily a strong endorsement for keeping him as HC. After all, when Bowles choked and cost them the playoffs in the "Fitzmagic Year", I said then that he should be fired, not just because of that one game, but he had shown an inability to make in game adjustments and manage the clock properly, and seemed disconnected from the offense entirely all season. Instead, they gave him and Macc an extension!:mad: So if I compare Saleh's record to what Bowles did, I don't see w ole lot of difference, other than Saleh is much more personable and handles the press better. If I think losing 1 game to miss the playoffs was enough to justify firing Bowles, then how do we weigh losing 6 games in a row to miss the playoffs?

IDK, I really don't want to start over - AGAIN! - but is Saleh really capable of being a good "CEO" HC who can manage all facets of the game, not just the defense? I think he's capable - some day - of doing that, whereas I didn't believe Bowles was, but if there's someone proven out there who can do it now, I'd be in favor of making the change.