The next OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

What does that mean? That they're not going to demand any particular scheme be used, or that they're not going to make scheme a priority over player's fit for whatever scheme they use, or that they don't believe the scheme they had was an issue?

tomdeb likes this.
  2. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

what I took from it was that the next guy had to be a good fit in terms of just what they went to do on offense. But the scheme doesn’t have to be the same as what they were running before the SF way. That’s what I took from it. But I guess we will see when we start hearing some real noise about potential guys coming in for a look

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Kingsbury fits the profile of a guy needing to prove himself and this I like. What I don't like, and this opinion may take things off the rails but its the offseason for us so what the hell, is the hotness of his girlfriend--I don't know how he can stay so focused to his job with her around. I want the guy living, breathing, obsessed with the game.

Oh crap, I meant to reply to @Borat lol

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  4. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

If she is in the stands it might be a good reason for me to tune into games every Sunday so why not

IDFjet likes this.
  5. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Chad Johnson just volunteered for the WR coach. Could be interesting.

SOJAZ likes this.
  6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

If Reich, Kubiak, and Kingsbury are unavailable, a potential option could be Greg Olson. He would bring in WCO, and should be minimal learning curve. Worked with McVay and had decent recent results as OC of the Raiders in 20 (8th in yards and 10th in points), and 21 (#11 in yards, 18 in points). Got good results with QBs as well.

7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

How about Zach Robinson from the Rams. This is from a site talking about possible options for the Pats who also searching for an OC.
    https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/l...ume-offensive-coordinator-role-patriots-2023/

8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

cmcm750203 likes this.
  9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

We need someone who can utilize the players we have, not be rigid, and not get cute in the red zone. If it's someone who's called plays before, great. I'm open to the possibility it can be someone who hasn't. FWIW, Breer tweeted that Brian Johnson, Philly's QB coach, is being considered. So, it appears the team isn't only looking at experienced OC's.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That would be a mistake. At least from a readiness and performance standpoint. But maybe from the F.O. POV hiring yet another coach who has never done the job they're being asked to do isn't a mistake - it provides another built in excuse if it doesn't work out: "Well you know he's a first time OC. It takes time to learn the job. Yada yada yada...".

Just hire someone with a proven track record of success in developing winning offenses, and QBs. Why is that so difficult?

papapump, SOJAZ, Jets79 and 5 others like this.
  11. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Thank you

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I assume you are referring to this tweet: "Saleh will cast a wide net for new OC. Some names: Darrell Bevell, Brian Johnson, Kevin Patullo, Pep Hamilton." Now, I know Philly is having a decent season and last year went 9-8 too, but I don't think we should be looking at their unexperienced low level assistants for our OC job, after just firing a guy with the same exact background. Saleh is not an offensive guy, he cannot guide whoever he hires like Sirianni and Steichen can. He need to have an experienced OC, as simple as that. That's the disadvantage we have. It's OK if the experience is not enormous, but there needs to be some evidence of successfully coordinating NFL offenses and working well with good QBs.

And Pep Hamilton just coordinated the second worst offense in the League. The net may be wide, but we need to tighten it up soon, weeding out these guys. If we end up with one of the four guys above, I would have preferred to just keep MILF.

Jets79 likes this.
  13. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

i don't know why people want to pigeonhole choices into experienced OCs versus first timers. There are pros and cons for each.

While it's easy to say go with an experienced OC -- as if inexperience was the root problem with MLf -- you might ask are they now predictable (not good) because of that experience, and why the hell are they available if they're any good -- sometimes they're available for a reason

if i were in charge i'd want to hear from a variety of candidates and see what they would do with our current roster; consider if that approach complements our defense; consider if it fits our conference (since those are 6 games we'll always play) and our geography eg 10+ games a year potentially in windy/cold conditions

14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That's the problem here - you would "hear" from them. With HC a defensive guy, and entire offense basically depending on this hire, hearing from the guy on a couple of interviews is simply not enough, and further - irresponsible. It needs to be someone with proven record of doing this job well, not just talking.

15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah I don’t much get looking at QB coach types who have never done the OC role before…did t we just get rid of a guy who was a first time OC? I get that not every first time OC fails, but it just seems like rolling the dice blindly like we just did…repeat the same mistakes again why don’t we?

Borat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I dont care who it is, I dont care what scheme they run, I dont care who the assistants are. Just fucking get it right. PLEASE.

Jojo, SOJAZ, Borat and 2 others like this.
  17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

My 2 favorite realistic options are probably Greg Olson and Matt Nagy. I can't see Kubiak or Reich coming here to be OC.

We'll probably wind up with Bevell though.

SOJAZ likes this.
  18. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.