Woody speaks : No playoff mandate for 2023

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GREG, Jan 12, 2023.

1. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Firing LaFleur WAS the "playoff mandate"... ;)

burf, Cman68 and Jets79 like this.
  3. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Woody needs to get the "No Playoff Mandate" word out there so the Jets have a chance to sign a viable OC and a legit QB.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Translation: I am not going to LITERALLY say there is a playoff mandate. I don't talk like that. If the Jets miss the playoffs in 2023, I will fire everyone and clean house though. ;)

5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Fans have a mandate, Woody...

Sell the fucking team

6. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Exactly!!! Woody did what he had to do. Clearly said he was not pleased with offense, said willing to spend for a QB. I mean people complain about him every chance they get, when all he can do really is open up his wallet, which is what he did. He got JD to run the show and basically gave him a blank check. Now if JD doesn't deliver next year, Woody would have to do something, but at this time he did what he was supposed to do.

Ralebird, JetFanInNE, apjbfc and 6 others like this.
  8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

People are pining for an owner like Steve Cohen but this is a sport with a salary cap. I think a guy like Cohen would be a disaster.

Woody get a lot of heat but I don't think he's as bad as some make him out to be. He better than Leon Hess and even made an attempt to bring the team back to NY.

JetFanInNE, Mogriffjr, Acad23 and 2 others like this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Woody seems to be saying the right things at this point. If there's a playoff mandate it should be behind the scenes not public.

It's going to be a challenge to get somebody to come in here and take over the offense however that's what the Jets need to do right now. Moving away from the SFO would be a very wise move because the Jets have not been able to keep the players they need to run it on the field.

10. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I see nothing wrong with this one. We have a good foundation in defense. And we have average to above average skill players. If below 3 things happen. we will most likely make the playoffs.

- Bring in a vet OC
    - Bring in a vet QB
    - Spend money on OL

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Sadly, all Saleh knows is the SFO. He's all about making the Jets into the 49'ers east coast version. Sad really since it never works trying to duplicate exactly what another team has done hoping to repeat their successes. What worked for the 49ers hasn't worked for the Jets. By the time Saleh realizes he can't reproduce the 49'ers here, it may be too late for him to save his job.

Br4d, ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  12. bicketybam

If we had Jimmy G or someone of similar skill level (without the injury history) it very well may have worked. He got the defensive side down on year 2.

Mogriffjr, Jets79 and Cman68 like this.
  13. twown

twown Well-Known Member

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Best thing Woody the Woodhead said was "spend big $ on FA QB"..uh duh

TBH I guess he cant afford to fire the whole hoot and caboodle (although perhaps he really wants to)...little Zachy will get go to school and not play (thank God) next year

So here we go ..next Season it will be Agony and maybe ..just maybe ecstasy if JD Saleh new OC all grow another brain haha..but skeptical my friends

The next bonehead decision ...choosing the wrong FA QB will doom them. Lets hope they get it right>>>Garrapolo Carr Mayfield Lamar J who knows??

15. UK_Chilts

UK_Chilts Well-Known Member

I think this is where it's at. We're all pissed off with 12 years and no play-offs but constant tear downs ain't gonna do it. Must be a vet OC & QB replacements with draft and FA priority at OL.

Brook! likes this.
  16. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Well I have a Playoff mandate for The Jets and Woody so jokes on him

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

What works for the 49ers on the west coast with road games in Arizona, LA and Seattle every year isn't likely to be what works best for the Jets on the east coast with road games in Buffalo, New England and Miami. 6 potential games in snow and ice every season is a big factor in determining what type of offense you should be planning to run. The rest of the schedule rotates every season but the AFC has more cold weather sites w/o domes than the NFC also. Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Kansas City and Denver vs Giants, Philly, Green Bay and Chicago.

Cman68 likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

So does this mean you and Woody are best buds now?:p

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Frankly, I think he should issue a playoff mandate at this point. Put them all on notice they have to deliver.

One possible reason he didn't issue one is that he wants them to play Zach and he knows that may get in the way of making the playoffs (although it shouldn't). But if the get a proven OC and OL Coach, and get all the other pieces back healthy, they should be well positioned to making the playoffs, and if Zach can't deliver that, he needs to go. So in that sense, maybe Woody wants to see one way or the other if their big investment in him was worth it.

20. bicketybam

6 games in snow and ice? Really?