The next OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

oh I totally agree that he should be on the short list, but why would he leave a cushy job that is extremely secure and among the best in the country for a job that there is a very decent chance he gets fired from next year

2. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

I guess we shall see. If they bring in another young shanahan disciple then saleh wins the struggle. If it’s an ex head coach he probably lost half the team.

3. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

If Frank Reich is by-passed for a HC gig, I'd be very happy given him the OC job. It has the added benefit of having a coach in waiting in case something goes wrong with Saleh.

4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Money. He's making $2M a year now, Jets probably have to double that to get him. Gotta pay to play.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I don’t see how we land a top flight OC with a lame duck HC and no QB. Get real with the Reich’s and Monken’s of the world.

It’s gonna be someone that Saleh knows (Bevell) or a young up & coming type that was around a good QB that developed.

twown, HomeoftheJets and sozopol like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He just started getting recognized as a hot candidate and been linked to several jobs. He hasn’t been deep into the processes because he’s been in these deep runs. College programs want to hire right after the conference championships because the portal opens right away and national signing day comes up quick.

He’s been linked to several jobs. 58 isn’t old for a head coach.

https://www.si.com/college/georgia/...-as-head-coaching-candidate-for-arizona-state

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/purdue-todd-monken/HNSTIT3L4JCETA27OJDDD6LPLQ/

https://coloradobuffaloeswire.usato...head-coach-candidates-georgia-oc-todd-monken/

7. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Wrote this on the other thread but bring in Mike Martz!

8. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

It’s no better a suggestion here than it was there

9. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

Agree with everything you said. The Athletic has a good article covering all the prospects.

Bevell is an experienced OC, has been on the same staff as Saleh, and comes from the same Kyle Shanahan tree. Tom Clements (Packers QB coach under LaFleur, has OC experience) and Nathaniel Hackett (also ex-OC for LaFleur and was on Jax staff when Saleh was).

Pep Hamilton and Brian Johnson are young up and coming with some OC/QB experience, but no connection to Saleh or Shanahan. Klingsbury, Kubiak, and definitely Reich are all pipe dreams for one reason or another. The article profiles 8 others as well.

10. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

There are currently 8 OC openings (barring more if qualified OCs become HCs), and our opening doesn't have a QB and possibly a HC on his final season. I just hope it's not some dude that's been trekking the Appalachian Mountains for the last 6 years.

Greg Olsen/Carr combo? Offense in a box.

NYJetsO12 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  11. JetsNation06

Again, you clearly are not following his track record which is almost always coordinator. In fact he left as HC of Southern Miss after one of the biggest turnarounds in college football after 3 years to go back to being a coordinator in the NFL for more money with the Bucs. That is very telling.

So if history is any indicator he could easily make the move back to the NFL for a higher paying coordinator gig just like he did 8 years ago. The Jets would need to be aggressive to make that happen. That's not their track record when pursuing top names.

And yes, 58 is very old to become a head coach when 30 out of your 33 years in coaching were as a coordinator or an assistant. It's almost like being a first time HC. Sounds like he prefers being a coordinator.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

He’s never had the success he’s experienced in his life. I’m well aware of his history.

Georgia offensive coordinator at $2 million/year when he’ll be a head coach after next season to Jets offensive coordinator for perhaps a one and done is a massive downgrade.

13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

We can go with our own Saturday.
    I gotta have more Mangold!! :)

Footballgod214 and Poeman like this.
  14. JetsNation06

Like I said, you double his salary and give him full play calling control and you get the deal done. The ball's in the Jets court. Do they have the balls to do it?

15. Jonathan_Vilma

The Jets wouldn’t do that and he’s not coming here. Let’s revisit next year and see if he gets a head coaching job. Deal?

16. BacktoQueens

Reich is my top choice.
    I don’t think Reich will get a HC gig this year.
    He needs another prove it OC job, and we can offer Assistant HC title here, built in with chance to take over if Saleh flounders.

What we can’t currently offer is a QB, as we have FUBAR’d that position (thanks JD).
    So we would have to promise a high profile vet, which is gonna cost a lot of draft capital and/or cap.
    That’s where we are at.

Red Menace and IDFjet like this.
  17. BacktoQueens

I’m pretty sure Reich called the plays for the Colts.

18. JetsNation06

Then it's their loss. Gotta swing big sometimes to get big results. You say he takes a HC gig after next season and I say he stays a coordinator regardless college or NFL. Deal.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  19. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Because bringing in a guy responsible for the most efficient and highest scoring offense in the history of the NFL is an absurd suggestion? We need to bring in a veteran OC with a proven track record of success running offenses, not another bum who has never coached as the position before. How many times do you knuckleheads have to see someone with no experience at coaching fail before you understand that?

SOJAZ and BleedJetsGreen1981 like this.
  20. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

We can all come up with the most eye-popping array of Jets OC candidates. But, based on the Bevell eagerness you get the feeling that unless Saleh has any familiarity with these coaches it's a no go.

Red Menace likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.