Zach Wilson - MERGED (All Zach Threads will be merged here)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Dec 22, 2022.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

After spending so many decades in the football equivalent of a post apocalyptic wasteland, I've become far more jaded and most times can easily bear the comical, no cosmic fuck ups this organization presents to its loyal suckers err, fans annually. Last night was a bit much though. Just as watching McCarthy lead Dallas into the playoffs knowing that silver spoon shithead Christopher Johnson chose Adam Gase over him.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The Jaguars won the first game, long before they realized how bad they were. Once they knew they could get Trevor, they purposefully tanked.

3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Only the Jets can have a team be worse than 2-14 in a year there is a generational QB prospect.

2 wins gets you the first overall pick 90% of the time.

Jets79, JetsKickAss and Cman68 like this.
  4. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

After watching Stidham, Purdey, Riddler, the next QB drafted should be mid rounds or later. At least we won’t have high hopes and they can be more than adequate than Wilson and the QBs we have had the last 5 years.

Draft focus should be OL, LB, physical WR as your first four picks not in that Oder necessarily. Trade down to garner more picks.

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

To me, even if we lost to the Rams, the following week we are playing against Cleveland team, which got many guys off the street as they were decimated by COVID. It would be hard to lose to that team. And even if we do that in week 17 we are going against Belichick, who has nothing to play for, has full control of the plays, and I am positive would lose that game to make sure we don't get Trevor. It just wasn't in the cards, so I don't feel bad watching Trevor because I know we had no shot at him realistically. Fields on the other hand is a different story, but that's a story for another day.

Speaking of McCarthy, while he is on the different level than Gase, he hasn't really done much in the last few years. 1 SB appearance in 11 years with top 3 player in the history of NFL in Rodgers I don't think is that great. He then fails to make play-offs with prime Rodgers and Adams, posing losing record and gets fired. Comes to Dallas, which has a FQB, and went 8-8 the year before him, and wins only 6 games. Granted I think Dak was hurt at some point that year, but still - their back-up QB was better than Sam, who won 7 with Gase 1st year. The following year wins 12, but gets upset in 1st round of play-offs. The point is, I feel up until now he just hasn't done enough with the great cards he was dealt. He may need to change it this year, or he could be fired again.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  6. Cman68

Sadly, for all his failures you pointed it out, every single one of them was still light years beyond any Jet HC accomplishment since Rex. Even a less than optimum McCarthy was far better than Adam Gase and so far, Robert Saleh. At the very least, McCarthy would have brought discipline and experience with him. You think he would have allowed the "Mike F'n White" t-shirts or the Christmas costumes episodes? No way in hell. McCarthy would have been the adult in the lockerroom. We don't have one presently.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First, let me say that I've never said I was an expert in player evaluations. And even if I were, I don't have access to the relevant, current data on players like teams do, nor am I privy to the discussions they have with players and their coaches. But AFAIK no one here has that access and info either.

So let's begin from that point of relative ignorance on all our parts. We're then left mostly with opinions, and that's where the discussion about Zach Wilson goes off the rails.

It's clear that the majority of posters are convinced that he's a bust and is a waste of cap and roster space, and will never be anything but that. And they quote stats, and include video - some with "expert" commentary - to prove their belief. And I've done that myself. It's an acceptable way to try and support your opinion, and I have no problem with that. But where I do have a problem is that a number of posters present this supporting evidence as definitive proof, as unassailable fact, when actually it isn't.

Yes, we can all see - and mostly agree - that Zach has struggled, and at times looked inept even. But there are also times where he shows what he's capable of: being a top 10 QB. Maddeningly the former has outweighed the latter so far. And maybe that will always be the case. Maybe Wilson just isn't good enough and will never be. I have no way to prove otherwise. But no one who claims he can't be successful can prove that either, regardless of how strident they are. There are too many variables at play in the development of an NFL QB for anyone to say - which is repeatedly said here ad nauseum - "If a QB hasn't proven himself by Year 2 he never will". Despite there being multiple examples of QBs who did exactly that, the most recent example being Geno who likely would've succeeded sooner if he landed in the right situation sooner. And then there is the fact that the Jets have ruined, or failed to develop, more QBs than I can count, which is the main reason why I created a thread recently stating I'm done with Zach Wilson as a Jet unless the Jets change how they go about working with him. Even LaFleur admitted they made at least one mistake in anointing him the starter and not having him sit and learn for a year or so.

And none of this is to say that Zach isn't part of the problem, nor to claim that he'll definitely succeed. You can have all the talent in the world and fail. In the end it always comes down to the biggest muscle we have, the one between our ears. If the Jets staff - who again, have all the pertinent info and data, as well as the benefit of having worked with Zach first hand - don't think he can be their FQB, then I'm all for sending him away. In the end I just want them to FINALLY get a legitimate winning QB on the team and stop holding onto the mantra "Defense wins championships" that has obscured the corollary: "Offense gets you there".

So, express your opinions about Wilson whatever they are, but please be open to alternatives because none of us have all the facts, nor a crystal ball.

Jets79, cval, Cman68 and 2 others like this.
  8. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Well said Bro... well said.

9. Cman68

I think we all have a an acute case of "Zach fatigue"..

Jets79, cval, Since1969 and 2 others like this.
  10. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Saleh told Zach to go read a book. Is "Football For Dummies" still in print?

Since1969, Cman68 and JetsKickAss like this.
  11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

And come to find out it maybe the offense as a whole that’s a problem. Lack of a run game, OLine being a sieve, the OC may not be a fit or just not ready to have the keys to an offense. I dunno…

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I believe Zach has the ability. We have seen it all in flashes, but he needs to be more consistent. He can't be trusted to be the starting QB for the Jets in 2023, but I think there is enough talent there to continue to let him progress and learn on this roster. You say he sucks, but I would say he has played poorly. That could change. Maybe it won't. Time will tell, but that is why the Jets need to bring in a veteran QB.

Chappy13 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

Once we miss out on Carr and Grappolo it will be a excuse for Zack Wilson to be the starting quarterback of this team next year, it is already confirmed that he will be back next year.

14. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I think the thought of trading ZW, releasing him or “he’s done “ is far fetched imo. Bottom line he is still of the the QB plans whether like him or not. Bottom line is JD has better have a better options as veteran QB this off season to compete in training. I think there are better options out there than Matt White. Shreve can be use a a few packages and I think MLF could have used him more on that. JD can draft a QB after 2-3 rounds but that should NOT be a consideration for backing up ZW.

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Many people think Zach Wilson needs a change of scenery. Now he is going to get one: At One Jets Drive. With a new Offensive staff and potentially a new system.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

This change won’t benefit ZW since he’ll most likely be gone.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  17. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Mike McCarthy isn’t a good coach, either.

18. Cman68

He was good enough to get the Boys into the playoffs. Can't say that for any Jet HC since Rex. McCarthy better than Gase? Absolutely...

19. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Todd Monken was the hire to make that year. Cowboys have a top 3 roster in the whole league

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Even with a new OC coming, he shouldn't be handed the starting job in 2023.

The Dark Knight likes this.