WR Deandre Hopkins on the Trading Block Should Jets make a move?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedJetsGreen1981, Jan 10, 2023.

1. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

The Jets will likely cut Corey Davis and Braxton Berrios but, they'll need to fill those positions for next season. Can they rely on Mims or do they go after a proven star like Deandre Hopkins?

A tandem of Garrett Wilson and Deandre Hopkins would be among the top in the NFL wide receiver ranks and probably be even more enticing to potential quarterbacks the Jets plan to sign. Douglas has yet to make the huge splashy signings is this the year he goes for the gold with everything on the line?

#1 BleedJetsGreen1981, Jan 10, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
  2. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I don't see Braxton getting cut. Corey Davis maybe. In any event I'd be all for this assuming we get a viable QB.

Cman68 likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I like the idea of having two great receivers. It would give the offense they haven't had since I don't know when. But they really have to decide what they're doing at QB and how much that will cost them. They can't afford to caught without enough money to pay whoever they target as QB. Of course they could just stand pat there - calm down!:eek:, no chance in hell that's happening. The thing is this would involve a trade which could be done any time, meaning before FA, so you don't know who you could get at QB and how much it will cost, with the possible exception of Carr who could be available sooner.

Finally, since I don't watch other teams IDK what the story is with Hopkins. Why are they looking to trade him if he's so good? This smells a little like another "trap" the SOJ have fallen into in the past. As much as I want them to upgrade the weapons, I don't want them to mortgage the future or buy another lemon.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  4. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

I had him in my fantasy team. The guy is a freak. He never tires. I would snatch him up in a second.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  5. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Cleaning house. GM resigned and coach was just fired.

6. ColoradoContrails

Thanks.

Well I'm not saying he's right or smart, but Bidwell certainly isn't being passive about the Cards losing record over the past few years, and we've got a longer losing record. Just might give Woody ideas.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Nah. Money aside, Hopkins will be 31 at the start of next season. He was never particularly fast to begin with but he’s standing on the receiver cliff. Usually receivers have one down year and then they’re absolutely shot after that. Very similar career trajectory to AJ Green so it’s not like he can’t still be productive but it’s not worth what we’ll give up for the short term boost.

Not to mention he just got banned for using PEDs.

stinkyB and Borat like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

Ahhh...there's the "trap" I smelled. Good analysis, thanks.

9. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Depends on the price.

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Spot on, you can probably get another really good year out of him, but he hasn't really been all that great last two years. PED usage is not a great sign either. It's a lot of risk, and the guy wants to renegotiate a two year deal, currently worth 17.5 mil per to presumably increase it. It was a good deal 3 years ago when Cardinals traded for him. At 31 next season, using PED, and wanting to get paid multi year deal North of 17.5 per I would steer clear. Particularly since we will need to spend for QBs and have a lot of our own free agents to resign and need to pay for the OLine.

I would just keep Corey Davis for 10.5 mil and waive Berrios and let Moore return punts. Davis was a great blocker and dropped only two balls this year. With better QB play he will do much better next year, and god knows we need to block well next season. Plus he will only be 28 next year.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Sometimes I think it is just completely hopeless.