Jets first in line for Lamar Jackson if he becomes available - SNY

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedJetsGreen1981, Jan 9, 2023.

1. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Actually I think this would be the most sensible way of doing it for us. I think Q is special, but most DT’s don’t prove out to be worth their 2nd contract. Considering the gamble a trade like this would be for us, I’d rather gamble a great DT than multiple draft picks

ColoradoContrails and Br4d like this.
  2. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

Haven’t you learned by now how this organization disappoints us fans? They will go first in line to get Lamar, grapollo, Carr, harbaugh, Payton only to bring back zack Wilson as the starting qb and saleh as the head coach. At this point it’s better to be pessimistic than optimistic.

Jets-N-Terps likes this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Wow, two 1sts and and a second for Lamar? I would definitely do it. But I think the price would be higher. Look at the package Browns gave for DeShaun:
    "Houston traded Watson and a 2024 sixth-round pick to the Browns in exchange for first-round picks in 2022, 2023 and 2024; a third-round pick in 2022; and a fourth-round pick in 2024."

3 firsts (including #13 btw), 3d, and 4th. And this is considering Watson was going to sit majority of the 1st year. I am afraid that's what it's going to take to get Lamar. The offer above is basically one 1st round pick fewer.

Now, how to address OLine if we we get Lamar? 3d round pick and free agency. With Lamar here, I think players would want to come to the Jets, there will no longer be the Jets tax.

4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Was just going off what I saw from Will Parkinson. He said that package + Watson contract.

5. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

"A rising tide lifts all boats". We've seen what it was like with decent QB play under Mike White spreading the ball around and targeting a variety of Jets receivers. How amazing to have a stud like Jackson at the helm.

Durability is a concern, cost and O-Line. It would really suck if Jackson went to Miami. None of these QB's is perfect, they all have flaws Carr and cold weather, Jimmy G and his constant injuries. The Jets will have to take a long hard look at the viability of this move. Having Lamar under center puts the Jets in the conversation and likely deep into the post-season.

westiedog1 likes this.
  6. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

I'd rather use our first round pick an OL and draft a qb in the 2nd or 3rd round that started all 4 years (or 5) in college. Enough with wasting our high pick on a guy who started 1 year in college and didn't play in a pro system, or trading for an injury prone QB to toss behind our crappy offensive line. It all starts up front. Having a great offensive line should be our priority, or it won't matter who we put back there to be a punching bag.

papapump and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

They don't have a 1st round pick this year. There is no way Ravens trade Lamar to Miami without getting a 1st round pick in 2023.

8. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

The Jets have the 13th pick in the first round.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think he meant the Dolphins.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Upon further reflection, I like Br4d's proposal more and more, even though it would cost us QW. You've got to give to get as they say, and getting a QB of the caliber of LJ could cover up a lot of deficiencies and make the Jets instant contenders - assuming he can stay healthy. Douglas would really have to focus on beefing up the OL once and for all if he goes this route.

And I also like it from the standpoint that it would give Zach a good example to learn from.

The only downside - other than the loss of QW - is would Lamar fit in the "LaFleur Offense"?. I expect that if he comes here, that offense will undergo significant changes - which might also help Zach.

westiedog1 likes this.
  11. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Lamar is a good quarterback but you will never see anything close to his sophomore season again.
    I personally do not think his style of play is going to keep him healthy and playing at a high level for too much longer. I can’t believe I am saying this but I would rather make a run at A Rodgers before Lamar Jackson.

I also would not even consider trading Q at this point. It was completely evident the difference in this defense when he was out of the lineup. Missing any other defensive player had no where near the same drop off.

amuck57 and Since1969 like this.
  12. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

It would probably take q, this yrs 1st and a 3rd, Plus signing him to a 45 million per contract. Why can not we draft a qb

13. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Yeah I just can’t see how we can do this and give up all those picks. There’s no way we can field a competitive team with all the holes we have and no way to fill them monetarily or with draft picks. We have to draft the right QB and do it soon.

14. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Why is it in the realm of possibility that Lamar and the Ravens won't come to terms? What don't they see in each other?

I'm asking sincerely from a place of ignorance.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This point is why every team walks away from any sort of trade table. The Ravens are the model franchise and realistically one of three franchises to win Super Bowl’s without Hall of Fame quarterback play (they won two of them) in the past 30 years.

If they don’t want him, that means you don’t trade multiple picks for him.

Pepsiguy5, Br4d, Jets79 and 2 others like this.
  16. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Not sure if this changes anything for the Ravens and Lamar.

17. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Not interested in Lamar and I’m a fan of him. He’s not a good fit for this team and I think he’s going to peak very soon.

18. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Imagine Lamar with Breece hall in backfield and the D has to guess on RPOs omgggg

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Which is why I think it is a pipe dream. They will want Lamar. Definitely I do not see how they would let him go for just two 1sts and a second.

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I don't think it changes anything for Lamar, but probably raises the price of Q.

ColoradoContrails likes this.