2023 Jets QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by blackssmagic, Jan 8, 2023.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Seriously? LOL!

Zach's first season the OL never played one down together in preseason, and then he got hurt 5 games into it - all of which MLF was trying to run the "O" from the sideline, and after which he moved up to the booth. And oh yeah, Zach lost his QB mentor tragically before the P.S. even ended. When he returned they made it clear that he was no longer going to be allowed to go off script, and that he would learn to play in the pocket - IOW, learning LaFleur's "proven" offense, was more important than "adjusting that offense to Zach's strengths".

Then this year he gets hurt before he plays in the P.S.. By the time he returns the OL began to play better than Year 1, but then the injuries to OL and Breece and Cory Davis begin happening. Meanwhile, the Jets had decided they didn't want Zach to have any other voices in his ear except the "proven" QB Whisperers already on staff, guys who had never developed a pro QB (and quite possibly ANY QB) in their career. And yes, they continued to insist that MLF's "proven" offense was more important than adjusting it to Zach's strengths.

So tell me again, how Zach got all this support and development that you expect Mike White to now get (if he stays with the team). SMH.

Zach - like so many Jets QBs in the past - was mishandled. If I were Woody, I'd fire the entire "O" staff, and I'd put Douglas and Saleh on notice that they'd better make fixing Zach a priority if they want to keep their jobs.

cval and Borat like this.
  2. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Zach never earned the #2. Fluke covid year got him drafted high.

Fields will be a much better long term and probably Mac Jones too.

Get over it.

3. ColoradoContrails

I think it's you who needs to "get over it". And get over yourself. What qualifications do you have that supports your pronouncements that aren't based upon all available data? Do you know more than Douglas, et. al.?

And unless Fields can learn how to be a pocket QB, his NFL future isn't all that bright. The NFL is littered with QBs who ran as much as he does. If Mac Jones becomes a better QB than Zach it won't surprise me because I predicted he might if he were drafted by the Pats, which he was, and received good development support.

EDIT: And what does "not earning the #2 pick" have to do with anything I posted in the response you replied to?

bicketybam and cval like this.
  4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

funny…but if that’s true, then buyer beware!

I think the Ravens are one of the best run teams in the league…and if they are out on Lamar, that’s a bad sign. That’s a team that drafted him and tailored their entire offense to suit him…I don’t think our coaching staff can hold a candle to theirs so the chance of us being able to make it work are way lower than theirs….

Jojo likes this.
  5. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I think a lot depends on what direction we go with the offensive staff.

cval likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

Just to be clear: I don't KNOW that the Ravens don't want Lamar, just a guess on my part. But given their history of not overpaying anyone, I could see them wanting to get out from under Lamar's salary demands.

Jets79 likes this.
  7. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

You are under the false assumption Zach has NFL potential. Statistically he doesn’t. No QB has ever come back from this terrible of a start statistically in their career for decades. It’s not likely he will.

And your stats comparison with MW are atrociously wrong. Mike White played statistically better than all QBs in the league except for one during the 3 game stretch.

You’re knocking his redzone efficiency but ignoring he played on the road 3 out of 4 games against all now playoff teams.

All wins and losses are not equal.

Zach lost three times to a non-playoff team.

Mike White lost zero times to a non-playoff team.

Facts.

8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Lamar needs an offense that is specifically tailored to him. He will also cost a fortune. Hard pass for me.

As far as next year goes, the QB room can't be the same. Zach needs to truly earn the #1 spot or sit. My guess is sit. The Jets need to go find a vet QB. Unfortunately there aren't a ton out there. It's looks like Carr may be the best option. Garoppolo is more fragile than White. No way can you count on him.

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

There isn't a single other team or fanbase in the NFL who would consider going into next year without significantly upgrading the QB position. I swear it's like Stockholm Syndrome with Jets fans and bad QBs.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

Stats don't = Wins. Zach won more games than Mike. Also won games on the road in stadiums where the Jets have historically struggled. And he got the ball into the EZ. All FACTS.

Agreed, all wins and losses are not equal. How "equal was MW's one win against a bad Chicago team at home compared to Zach's five wins against 3 top pass defenses in their home stadium?

Mike only played one non-playoff team, the aforementioned bad Chicago team, so how does that prove anything?

Your obsession with proving that Zach is trash is clouding your objectivity.

11. ColoradoContrails

Who exactly is saying that we should do this?

Straw man.

12. HomeoftheJets

Do you think we should go get Carr or someone at least of that caliber?

bicketybam likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

Yes, I've said that in multiple threads. I'm not so keen on any of the other "usual suspects" though, but still agree they need to bring in someone to at least compete with Zach, but better yet, bring in someone who can enable them to let Zach sit and learn for a year at least. That's where I like the Brady idea, although I admit it's not likely.

But IDK of anyone saying we shouldn't upgrade the QB room. And personally I don't feel like Mike White is enough of an upgrade.

bicketybam and HomeoftheJets like this.
  14. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

The thing for me is, I don't think the Jets need to find an elite QB to win.

I think a competent QB that can make the plays when you need him to, but not be asked to do much is what the Jets need.

Fortunately there will be plenty of options this off-season. The Jets just need to find someone. I'm sure someone would want to play here.

I also wouldn't want to give up to much for a QB either, if Douglas great at drafting then I would want to save draft picks.

The list is pretty long on guys you can get:

Derek Carr
    Matt Ryan
    Russel Wilson
    Aaron Rodgers
    Jimmy Garrapolo
    Lamar Jackson
    Daniel Jones

Some you will have to give up a lot for, some you will have to give up nothing. Have to weigh it all out, along with risks to injuries as well

15. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Ralebird likes this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

That's fair. I do think it's important though that we don't give Zach any special treatment going forward. He can stay on the team because of his contract, but he should be treated like a developmental backup. No expectation he's ever the answer, but he's always welcome to prove his doubters wrong.

17. bicketybam

Yes, yes and more yes.

KY Jets Fan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  18. bicketybam

I have no issue with him saying that. I don't understand why anyone would. He didn't say it to "scare away" anyone. I took it as "If I'm going down, I'm going down fighting." Or "I'm not giving up and I believe in myself." All good things imo.

19. CaptainCap

CaptainCap Well-Known Member

Jimmy G is an unrestricted free agent. Strictly a money transaction. No draft choices. Big deficit injury prone. Are you willing to take a chance.

20. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

The trouble is that that's not what he said. It's what you would have liked him to say, and maybe it's what he meant, but it's not what he said.

What he should have said was something like this: "I know I've got a lot of work to do, but I intend to do whatever's necessary and work as hard as I can to justify Coach's Saleh's and Mr. Johnson's faith in me." A dose of humility ("I know I've got a lot of work to do") would have gone a long way.