2023 Jets QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by blackssmagic, Jan 8, 2023.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

They benched him to avoid being locked into his contract next year due to his injury guarantee.

If he got injured down the stretch and couldn't pass a physical in a few months, his 2024 cap hit would've become fully guaranteed.

"Carr's three-year, $121.5 million contract extension he signed last spring was little more than a one-year deal and a "we'll see." An injury that wouldn't allow him to pass a physical in a couple of months would guarantee his entire $32.9 million base salary plus $7.5 million in 2024 salary."

2. cval

cval Well-Known Member

What? I thought Mike White was the savior and Joe Flacco was still a starting-caliber QB in this league.

3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I agree Zach getting it and stepping up would be the best outcome. Where we differ is in our opinions of how likely that is to actually happen. I just don’t think it’s likely. 20 games is a pretty good sample size to me, especially when game 20 looked just as rotten than game 1. Had we seen even an iota of improvement in SOMETHING, I’d say ok let’s see what we got.

but he has regressed … his completion rate sucks just as bad, his yards per game suck just as bad, his lack of TD passes sucks just as bad. If you want eye test because you don’t believe the stats well that sucks just as bad also. He STILL doesn’t see open receivers and he STILL throws balls in the dirt and over their heads.

I get the salary cap ramifications so I’m resigned to the strong possibility that’s he’s still on our team next year unless JD can find a way to unload him…but he’d have to come in and compete for a roster spot.

kid has some raw skills in his escapability and a strong arm, but he SUCKS at basic skills that are required to play QB well, including field awareness, reading defenses, throwing with touch and accuracy. He just hasn’t ever shown those skills in any kind of consistent manner.

I’m super curious to see where we go at QB. I do agree that if he were able to somehow miraculously turn it around that would be the best possible outcome for us, but I just have a hard time believing it’s a real possibility.

Ralebird likes this.
  4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Why move on? There is something Josh does not like. I think Carr is a high-quality starter I am just not sure we can get him.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Carr is ok…I’d say he’s about an average starter. He’s better than anyone we’ve had since Fitzpatrick one good year in 2105… but he’s not great

may be our best option and would be an upgrade for us until we can find “the guy”

6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

That I can't answer. Maybe McDaniels doesn't like Carr? Maybe he wants to use their 1st round pick on a rookie like Young/Stroud/Levis.

7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

It will be an interesting off-season, (See comments in bold above)

Jets79 likes this.
  8. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

i dont trust this staff to use Lamar. Carr and Jimmy G are the safe routes.

Jojo and BleedJetsGreen1981 like this.
  9. CaptainCap

CaptainCap Well-Known Member

I know it's unpopular but Jimmy G would be my pick, Don't have to give any draft choices to acquire him His contract w/the 49'rs makes him an unrestricted free agent. He's free to negotiate w/any team. Strictly a money deal.

Jojo, Jets79, teamgreen and 1 other person like this.
  10. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I would bring in Minshew for QB competition. No reason not to. Kid's all heart and shows some good flashes.

11. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

Lets face it the starting Qb next year is Zack Wilson, thats what happens when the owner is close with the Qb's parents and wants to meddle in the every day affairs of the team instead of trusting his staff to do it, he will do everything in his power to get Zacky on the field. That is the reason why we will never get Harbaugh, payton or a real coach because they will want full control.

12. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I hope Zach at least earns it

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, actually I'm not even sure the Ravens want him, given what they'll have to pay him, as well as what they'd be "forfeiting" in terms of compensation if they could trade him.

14. ColoradoContrails

I've watched all his snaps this year. Since when is "Comp %" the true measure of a QB? There are lots of things that affect that number - and all the other stats - which is why simply relying on stats is bad way to judge QBs.

And again, I'm not saying he's proven anything, nor that he doesn't have a lot of things to fix, but he was mishandled by this CS from the beginning and they need to bear some responsibility, and Douglas needs to make sure he gets a CS that is as invested in Zach's success as he is.

Borat likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

Uh, MW and Flacco also consistently missed wide open receivers, and neither could keep drives going when they needed to with their legs.

Borat likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

Interesting you use this to defend MW's lack of success (winning, scoring TDs). When this exact argument was use to explain Zach's struggles last year and this, it was dismissed out of hand.

Now the truth is that Zach hasn't helped the pass pro by being hesitant with his reads, but a large part of that is because MLF drilled into his head "Don't make mistakes!", "Don't go off script!". Do you think these are things that Lamar was told, or Fields? Again, I'm not absolving Zach of all blame. He needs to improve in his reads and his mechanics, but his struggles are rooted in how he's been coached and "developed" here.

cval likes this.
  17. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

MW was a backup thrust into the situation. A Full offseason preparing as the starter with the OC and gameplans adjusted to your strengths - he will far exceed Zach. even the Jets FO leaked today he the potential starter capability.

It's no question.

18. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

They drilled it in his head - because he was sucking prior to that. But to be honest it might have been a mistake. If Zach didn't piss off his teammates he'd be the starter, and probably tank the season himself.

19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I don't think JD will do that. There is simply no point to offer Raiders anything until they either waive Carr or pick up his 40 mil guarantee. Carr also has no incentive to waive his trade clause for a specific team, which will be weakened by giving up assets for him, when he will likely be a FA anyway and can pick any team he wants and have them use these assets to help him. If he is not waived by Feb 15th and 40 mil are guaranteed, then a conversation could be had, but I would be surprised if the Raiders take this risk.

You bring up some good points. While I do think QB performance was poor from all QBs, including Zach, that's not he only thing that went wrong. White I felt performed best during his first 3 games, but the running game wasn't great and he stood there like a trooper taking huge hits - until he could no longer do it (and it didn't take long). When he came back - he stunk like others. Was it because he was actually hurt to the point he could not throw due to pain? As others noticed, he practiced all the time, looked good in warmups. Then why all of the sudden he can't throw at all during the game, even short screen passes? It was because he no longer wanted to stand there waiting to get split in half again. He was jittery, trying to get rid the of ball too quickly, not willing to step into the throw fully. Basically same exact things Zach was doing when he sucked most of the year.

Ask yourself this: last 3 games, all against pretty bad defenses, with 3 different starting QBs - were they really any different from QB and overall offensive standpoint? No - it was the same exact thing! Huge part of it is garbage of the OLine we have, which is awful beyond belief. Another part of it is pass pro in general, which involves TEs and WRs in protection. Big part of it is coaching. Another big part of course is QB play, and also bad habits the QBs develop when not getting protection and running game. Even White developed these habits, evidenced in his last game. Maybe once he is all healed up he will drop these, but who knows. Zach played with shit line his entire career, except short stretch in 2021 and maybe a couple of games this year. Young guys are picking up bad habits easily.

The point I am making is that we need to be able to protect the QB in 2023, whoever it is, or he will play like shit too. That involves better Oline players and better coaching. Corey Davis btw, was very good at protection. Maybe with Conklin and Ruckert can emerge, so we will get some good TE protection too, since Uzomah sucked at it. We need 4 new Oline starters. One of whom is AVT, who is now also a concern to stay heathy, but need 3 others, including both tackles and a better signal caller at C. Maybe with these changes Laken can also step up a bit, since we can't get rid of his contract. Whether coaching can improve organically, I am not sure. I hope so, though we need another veteran voice on the O room at the very least.

#79 Borat, Jan 9, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
  20. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Well I think you missed my point. I've been a Zach skeptic (not hater) from the get go and I never would have drafted him.

What I wish I/we knew was what the JETS analysis and true feelings about Wilson and Becton are at the moment after watching every move he's made and working with him every day for 2 years. If they truly felt like what you typed then obviously he would have been released off the team by now so your clearly not correct. At all.

From a fan hyperbole standpoint though I actually agree with you at the moment. I guess we'll see what they do.