2023 Jets QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by blackssmagic, Jan 8, 2023.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Again this question is full of speculation and puts cart before horse

My feeling is that we need one of two brilliant experienced HC minds to decide Carr Jimmie Lamar ...NOT me and you frankly

Hire the braintrust FIRST>>>Harbaugh or Payton

Obviously the fools in place now are no better than Posters on the internet..except we pay them a couple of mil..smh

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

No, I'm not deflecting blame, nor excusing it. Wilson (and all the past "failed" Jets QBs) had their share to shoulder, but it's no coincidence that the Jets have had a record of failing to develop QBs for decades. And when you hire first time coaches, it's no surprise that they're going to make mistakes, often beginning with being "married" to a particular system to try and make up for their lack of experience.

I find it incredible that those who declare Zach a failure, at the same time excuse the failures of the CS. That he was "the worst rated QB" doesn't indicate whether he could play the position better with the proper coaching and scheme suited to his strengths. Despite the oft repeated "He can't hit simple crossing patterns" in fact he has done that, although he struggled to do it once his confidence went in the toilet and he began second guessing himself.

He's still salvageable, but not unless the Jets significantly change how they're working with him. If Woody is as pissed as reported, I expect him to demand those changes be made, likely beginning with LaFleur's head.

blackssmagic and JohnnyJet1222 like this.
  3. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

webb pretty much played with 2nd stringers.
    Howell played against a very good defense and was pressured quite a bit in his debut but made some runs and passes. Both had some good runs when needed to escape. Purdy is an efficient QB who doesn’t do much. Ridder was efficient in short passes. Point is they were adjusting the game speed well and were efficient. ZW. Coaching? Ehh.

4. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Sure looks like that might have been Aaron Rodgers' last game as a Packer. If he doesn't retire, I could 100% see the Jets trying to get him...

The Dark Knight likes this.
  5. heartpumpsgreen

heartpumpsgreen Active Member

Lamar in a trade will cost at LEAST 3 1st round picks to start the conversation w/ Baltimore. Then 250mil at least over 8-10 years almost all of it gauranteed. For a QB who is often injured and who's body type does not translate well to his style of play over years let alone the full course of a season. He is not big to absorb these hits outside the pocket like Josh Allen nor does he have elite pocket passing talent to fall back on when he realizes this. So I think it would be a giant mistake that would cripple the Jets for years to trade 3+ first round picks, plus a Quinnen or Sauce and then sign this guy, no thanks.

Not crazy about Jimmy G or Carr, but I get it. Jets are probably in the playoffs with either of those 2 playing to their ability.

Why is nobody considering Daniel Jones????? Maybe smoke .... I hope so.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Agree on LJ. Look at what happened to Broncos this year. You can’t overpay for a guy like this. It’s just not worth it. Lamar Jackson is a helluva player but not a Josh Allen or Mahomes.

Daniel Jones took his team to playoffs. That’s what happens when you get an offensive coach and develop a QB. He will be a giant for another few years.

Jets79 and Jojo like this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Zach isn't Sam or Geno where they were put on horrible teams and still displayed flashes of positive play even though there was more negative than positive. Zach is in JaMarcus Russell/Josh Rosen territory, and nobody other than Alex Smith has ever come back from that.

8. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'd pay a pretty fair amount of money to know what the Jets completely honest assessments of Zach Wilson and Becton are. I guess we'll kind of learn over the next few months through their actions but I could see almost the full range of analysis from hopeless to confidence on both guys from the Jets who work with them every day.

I don't see how they can possibly go into next year 100% relying on either guy. You almost need a plan A to be plan B in both cases :)

9. WoodyHarrelson

Relying on either guy? My dude, Zach Wilson can’t even complete a basic screen pass or back shoulder throw. His NFL career has a two year shelf life remaining if that.

Becton will get another shot but big boy needs to stay healthy or he will be medically retired in two years.

Jets79 and Lon Chaney like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Why make things up? If you have a good case, supply actual facts. If you've watched all of Wilson's tape you've seen he has made those throws. Just because he's missed some doesn't mean he hasn't made some. And even if he's missed more than he's made, he's shown he can make them.

He's got a number of issues right now, and he needs to focus on fixing them, but making stuff about him doesn't prove anything.

Borat, JohnnyJet1222 and cval like this.
  11. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be surprised if the Jets raid the piggy bank and sign one of these reject mediocre QBs for $40M/yr and end up going 3-14 next season. Since Woody doesn't really know much about football, it shouldn't be that difficult to sell him a song and dance about one of these overpriced QBs winning the Jets a Super Bowl. That and firing MLF should serve to appease a fan base which at this point would get more value and pleasure from self-flagellation.

12. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

Honestly with Lamar I don’t think it would be smart for any team to give him the type of contract he’s gonna want. I feel like any team that ends up giving him what he wants is going to end up in a precarious situation. The more I think about the plus vs minus the less I want him. When has his style of qb play won a Super Bowl?

13. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

Zack Wilson will be your 2023 starting Jets Qb next year, Jets will say Zack has grown alot this offseason and put him in there again only to have another miserable season.

[​IMG]

14. WoodyHarrelson

You clearly haven’t watched him. He has a worst completion percentage than Jamarcus Russell

15. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

do you really want to spend $50M on him? He threw nearly 3 iNTs last night. He throws the ridiculous back foot deep lib pass and cost the team the playoffs. He s def better than what we have now but at what mortgage will this costs?

16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You are right. Throw a 2nd overall pick that has played 20 games to the trash.
    As you and I know playing QB in the NFL is easy.

For all the play Mike White and Joe Flacco the Jets had the most success with Zach.

For all you MLF apologists go watch the breakdown of games from an actual ex NFL QB. You will get a lot of head scratching from them.

This coaching staff messed up the QB situation so bad this year it was comical and led to a 6 game losing streak.

Do not mistake this for Zach will be great. Take it as there is still a chance. He has no chance with the current offensive staff. From the O-line coach on up to the OC.

17. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Do I? Not particularly. But if he's available I could see the Jets being interested

18. WoodyHarrelson

Wilson won because of Breece Hall. He did nothing. Agree to disagree but dude will go down as one of the biggest busts of all times.

19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Mike White 58% completion 3td 4int 1 win.

Flacco 57% 5 TD 3 int 1 win.

Zach 54% 6td 7 int 5 wins .

All where mid 70s in QB rating.

My point the issue is OC not QB. Every QB performed about the same statistically in this offense.

ColoradoContrails and Borat like this.
  20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Sounds like that is what you are hoping for.

ColoradoContrails likes this.