Executive Post Mortem .... 35 years & I've lost my mind

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rscherwin, Jan 8, 2023.

1. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

After 35 years, I've lost it. This is the best talent foundation I've seen. Even Saleh has potential. However, there are a number of questions, if left unanswered, that will destroy the potential this team has.

This letter was Fedex'd to Woody, JD, and Saleh Thursday. It's an executive's perspective of questions that they need to answer for themselves, and hopefully answer for us.

To: Woody Johnson
    CC: Joe Douglas, Robert Saleh

Jets Leadership:

Thank you for one of the most entertaining seasons, in 30+ years of cheering for the Jets.

As a Fortune 500 executive spanning C-level roles at IBM and PE backed firms, I have received feedback from people "outside of the know." I’ve experienced the challenge of short-term noise when addressing long-term goals.

I also learned to value outside perspectives. That's why I'm sharing an executive’s view of the Jets, and questions to consider in pursuit of Coach Saleh’s stated goal - win multiple Super Bowls.

Nine considerations that assess our commitment to win multiple Super Bowls

1. Why were all experienced coaches eliminated from the QB room in 2022? Was there a debate regarding the virtues of "less voices" vs "experienced voices" in the QB room?
    Last year, our most important asset improved, post-injury, when surrounded by experienced voices, like John Beck and Matt Cavanaugh. What motivated us to eliminate experienced voices from the equation? How do we implement risk controls to ensure we effectively develop and harness the potential from high value talent?

2. How will we achieve an objective post-mortem on our offense and its struggles?
    As a leader of leaders, I’ve struggled to get objective post-mortems when personal relationships exist between evaluating managers. With the long-standing relationship between Coach Saleh and Coach Lafleur, is there an objective means to assess and plan the path forward? How, in 2022, did we wind up with NO offensive coordinator experience and NO QB development experience, when a priority was developing a young QB?

3. What, specifically, are we doing to "reset" Zach Wilson?
    Who owns it? What experience does that individual have in developing QBs? What were the specifics of the in-season "reset." How was the reset measured and evaluated? Who evaluated it? Was coaching, play-calling, and game-planning considered during this process? How does it carry over to the offseason?

4. If we decide to move on from Zach Wilson, how has the organization learned to develop a QB?
    In a league with Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, and Allen, we will not win multiple Super Bowls without raw talent, like Zach possesses. Clearly, Super Bowl QB talent, will not be available as a free agent. So, if we’re to move on from Zach, how will we win multiple Super Bowls without drafting another QB? And if we do draft another QB, how will we develop him? Mark. Geno. Sam. I recall being impatient while Chad sat, but clearly the approach worked. Let’s get it right this time, and develop a kid we already have, who comes with Super Bowl talent, work-ethic, and humility.

5. How are we helping Coach Saleh and his staff evolve a philosophy that is dogmatic to systems, at the expense of the talent, while ignoring competitive dynamics?
    How will we optimize OUR talent to win games, as opposed to forcing our talent into pre-ordained systems?
    I've put in place go-to-market programs for multibillion dollar businesses with thousands of sellers. Winning systems are built to optimize talent in achieving outcomes within competitive environments. The 2022 Jets did not adapt the defense as opponents adapted their gameplans to work away from our strengths. The 2022 Jets never eased Zach’s square-peg talent into Coach Lafleur’s round-peg system by running more rollouts and designed runs. He was exceptional on them, as he was on 1st and 10 pocket passing plays. Coach Saleh indicated that even, pro-bowler, CJ Mosely is not allowed to audible to adapt in real time.

6. Does the media have too much influence? Did we put long-term goals at risk to address noise?
    What changed in between Coach Saleh's New England post-game press conference (where he clearly stated that Zach was our QB) and the following day? A leader must defend his players, and control the locker room. Give Zach media training so he's not making enemies with Connor H, Zack R, Rich C, and the rest of the mob mobilizers. Coach Saleh is clearly a media pro. Let’s have him help those he puts in the spotlight.

7. Have we considered that the root cause of the Patriot losses was being outcoached?
    This question is another check on whether we can objectively do a post-mortem on offensive performance. If not, the implications are our mission’s greatest threat.
    Coach Belichek has mentally tormented many young QBs. And coaches. After going 5-2 against seven consecutive top-notch pass defenses, why did we pump the brakes on our most important project (developing Zach into a franchise QB)? Especially with the following game against the league’s worst passing defense?

8. Have we considered that only 2 out of the last 40 Super Bowl winners had neither a franchise caliber QB, nor a head coach who grew up as an offensive coordinator?
    What coaching development steps are being taken to overcome the game-planning tendencies that, even with Mike White running the system, had us coming out conservatively against top offenses in Minnesota and Buffalo? Playing on offense to “not make mistakes” and “trust the defense” is a recipe for failure in business and the NFL.

9. Does "All gas no brake," apply to everyone except the QB? Is our QB staff trained to address his ADHD, and harness horsepower like Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, and Terry Bradshaw had?
    Have we considered the confidence impact of publicly scolding a developmental gunslinger QB, to "not make mistakes" and "trust the defense." With confidence an issue, are we taking the time to understand Zach, and how ADHD, properly harnessed, is a competitive weapon?

I appreciate the energy and passion that has been put into this team. I love the stated goal of multiple Super Bowls. It’s within reach, with the initiated culture and assembled talent.

This pre-season was the most optimistic I’ve felt about the Jets since 1999. Young, talented foundation. High character individuals with humility and work ethic. I believe we will win multiple Super Bowls, if Coach Saleh develops his approach and philosophy, with humility and self-awareness, just like he’s asking of his players.

I appreciate consideration of these thoughts, as you work towards realizing a dream shared by millions of fans.

As a professional, I help organizations build programs that drive sustainable, systemic success. Should these thoughts spark curiosity, I’d be delighted to engage with the New York Jets organization.

Warm regards,
    Russell Scherwin

(Should you have made it this far and want answers, would appreciate a retweet of the letter to amplify, if you happen to be on Twitter ... Link Here)

)

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Outstanding!

These are all questions that some if us have raised repeatedly, especially regarding Zach's development. They deserve answers, and more, they deserve remedies to fix them.

If the Jets are unwilling to honestly face this list of questions, fuck 'em!

3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Awesome questions. Wish I was active on Twitter but we are preparing selltheteamwoody.com Feel free to contribute.

4. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Thanks, Russell!
    As one of the people here that have had similar questions, your efforts are appreciated!
    I suspect it may be ignored, as I sent something similar but less detailed, to Jets management last month, which was ignored.
    But maybe your business background will get through.
    I'd appreciate if you would keep us up-to-date, if/when you receive any response.

NY Jets68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. gofivewide

gofivewide New Member

Great post. Sadly, most responses here will be "Zach sucks."

Incredibly intelligent and well thought out.

rscherwin and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t get into over emotional fan bullshit like this because the owner would rather take a dump on something like this while reading his bank statement but question number 9 is actually a good one.

Should the Jets have just let Wilson let it rip and see what happens while winning games was secondary? NFL teams can shell up and keep games close and probably keep it close to a .500 record if they play 2-high safeties, run the ball a ton and throw it short.

Would we have gotten a better read on this kids future if we went with the fuck it LEGGO! strategy? I doubt it but it’s interesting.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Woody should hire you as a consultant. At the very least you're a Jets fan, so you'll give honest recommendations instead of having ulterior motives like Casserly and Wolf did.

8. rscherwin

Thanks. Rule #1 in coaching is you meet people where they are. Rule #2 in coaching is you tell them what to do. Not tell them what not to do. Saleh/MLF broke both of those rules by not building a system to ease Zach in (like Pitt did for Big Ben and Bal has done for Lamar). And be chastising Zach in the media, they've put a straight jacket on him and killed his confidence.

PS - The original version of the note instantiated Jonathan Vilma. As a reminder to Woody, in Consideration #5, that being dogmatic to the system was the root cause of trading Jonathan Vilma to the Saints for pennies on the dollar. Because Woody was so sold on Mangini bringing in BBs 3-4 that he lost track of the fact that systems are there to optimize and orchestrate the talent.

This f*cking team.

9. rscherwin

And I'm cheaper than Korn Ferry, the idiots who gave us John Idzik.

10. rscherwin

I will do so.

My expectation is that it made it through the filter into Woody's queue. JD and RS' admin have not got back to me. I also expect that if it's read, we'll never know. Just hoping to influence us not squandering this wealth of talent. Plus, I tell my kids that they should only put energy into things they can influence or control. Needed to do it.

burf and NY Jets68 like this.
  11. rscherwin

Would absolutely contribute (if the wrong decisions / no decisions are made)

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

My first question Sir : Are you really an Executive ?

Seriously, please understand that any very well organized set a good questions will absolutely get ignored by this Owner and FO

Take my advice, I no longer go to games or pay for anything to support Johnsons Franchise. So take the children to the Zoo or Museum. At least that won't give you a sense of loss and frustration.

#12 NYJetsO12, Jan 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    Patriot and AndyDrums like this.
  13. burf

burf Well-Known Member

The thing that's so frustrating to me, is that it's just so evident... you have a given set of jigsaw puzzle pieces to fit together. You either assemble those pieces where they fit, or it just remains a bunch of pieces.
    They did right by trying to get good pieces to build around Zach, but ignored building the system itself around him... or at least fitting all the pieces into the system. To me, they've been trying to force a thoroughbred, to be a trotter, which is destined to failure.
    Your straight-jacket analogy is better than the one I've used... that they've in a sense castrated Zach (I got a lot of 'push-back' by using that word).

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

What are we doing?

Do you guys realize the only non playoff team we lost to this year was the Patriots. Every team we lost to aside from them, are In the playoffs.

Let's jump off the ledge though. Send all the emails, fly all the planes.. Burn It all down. fuck it

15. IIMeanDeanII

There Isn't an offense In the league that would be suited for Zach Wilson until he learns fundamental QB 101 inside the pocket edition. If you can't play In the pocket, you can't play In this league. It's really that cut and dry. This argument makes no sense to me.

Fiftynine and MoWilkBeast like this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

Come on Dean. How then does Lamar do it? Or Mahomes? Or you guy Fields even?

I don't deny that in the long run a QB has to be able to play mostly in the pocket to have long term success, but in the early part of their career they can get by with running and not staying in the pocket, especially when they play behind a lousy OL.

Taking Zach and trying to force fit him into being a pocket QB right out of the gate was a major mistake. They either had to have him sit and learn how to do that, or they had to adjust their offense around what he could do. They did neither.

It's odd how you're willing to make excuses for this CS but not for Wilson. If you swapped out Zach for Fields these past two years, and had the same results we've had, who would you blame?

burf likes this.
  17. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

NFL "owners" don't spend a dime on customer service to answer their supporters, because they only have to answer to the league, so good luck on getting a response. Also, professional sports teams don't give a shit about their customers, nor their employees, since it's all about how much money and influence they can grift from the fans and taxpayers.

So pay your ticket price increase, get treated and surveilled like a criminal when visiting that eye sore and shut the hell up already. And if you don't like it, go find another team to root for, although your money will basically be going to the same entity. Forget about what that cartoon character Albert Einstein supposedly said or did not say. The real definition of insanity is paying money to be miserable, which is the only thing the Jets can guarantee with your purchase.

SOJAZ likes this.
  18. IIMeanDeanII

They actually know how to read a defense and play within the pocket.

Zach Wilson can't. I don't understandd?

The mistake was drafting him. It wasn't anything more than that. He should've sat after making the dumb choice to draft him. Now, he needs all sorts of help, and I just don't think he's got It In him at this point.

If we swapped out Fields for Wilson I have no doubt In my mind that this offense would've been 100x's more dynamic than anything we've ever seen with Wilson under center. It wouldn't have been the same results.

19. rscherwin

You watch Big Ben his first few years?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

Why do you say Fields can read a defense? Where's the evidence of that? If anything, given his high number of sacks and INTs and Fumbles, it shows he's struggling with defenses at least as much as Zach.

And yes, the Jets offense might well have been much more dynamic with him at QB, but not the MLF/Shanahan Offense. If he was forced to play with the same constraints that Zach was I have no doubt he would've struggled at least as much.

This CS doesn't know how to develop a young QB, no matter who it is, including the Touchdown Jesus himself, TL.