Don't Take A QB In 2023

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CotcheryFan, Dec 12, 2022.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Tough call, but Im guessing he's selected by the Colts anyway

KingRoach likes this.
  2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Doubt Stroud would make it to 10, unlikely Jets are at 10 anyway.

Best option just might be pairing a guy like Richardson with a Jimmy G that can hold the fort while Richardson develops.

Really no good options though as it’s pretty rare to find your franchise QB in FA.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I feel like I'm slowly migrating to this train of thought.

Sign a solid, hold-the-fort kinda guy in FA (Jimmy G., Minshew, etc.), and then draft one of Levis or Richardson if they're there with your 1st round pick knowing that these guys probably aren't going to contribute much in 2023 but could develop into your starter in Year 2 and on.

4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Here's a breakdown of some tape on Levis by a couple of the guys at TDN for those interested:

5. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'm against QB in the first this year. The Jets have some legitimate talent going into next season, and a couple more impact players could make them a real contender.

I think signing someone like Derek Carr and drafting a QB in the 3rd/4th is the way to go. Address OL and WR in rounds 1/2 and go from there.

KY Jets Fan and Br4d like this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I would definitely not mind OT in the 1st and C in the 2nd or 3rd.

BamaDoc and KY Jets Fan like this.
  7. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Pass on QB and go Oline in RD1. Build an elite O-line where any mediocre QB can thrive in our offense.

BamaDoc, KY Jets Fan and Br4d like this.
  8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

A guy to keep in mind if we don't go QB in the 1st is Cameron Ward from Washington State.

He transferred from Incarnate Word to Washington State this year and started strong but sort of fell off down the stretch of the season.

If he's there with our 3rd rounder this year, I think he'd be a name to consider.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Would Anthony Richardson fall to the 2nd round? If so I think it would be a good pick. You can't teach what he has. Reminds me of Josh Allen

#49 BrowningNagle, Jan 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
    KY Jets Fan likes this.
  10. stinkyB

Yeah, I don't know.... granted this season Ive watched less college football than I've done in a long time (working Saturdays, and Gators suck) but I've seen quite a bit of this kid. I can see where you can make that analogy, based on the measurables but I dont know. If he went to a team with a solid but aging vet planning for the future, 2nd rd would make sense, but on the JETS he becomes EJ Manuel. There will be too much pressure to stick him in before his time. He has nowhere enough game experience, and lacking the "it" factor, but he's definitely an interesting project in the right scenario.

KY Jets Fan and BrowningNagle like this.
  11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Maybe, maybe not. I could see a team with a late 1st taking him knowing that he'll need a year or two to fully develop.

Vikings/Giants/Bucs come to mind for him. They all have guys who are established as the starter and can play at a competent to great level. Maybe even the Niners? Just depends on how they feel about Lance now.

12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Outside of Young and Stroud, I don't think any other QB prospects this year could come in and be a guaranteed immediate starter.

KingRoach likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Just in general with the way the roster is constructed, a high flier like Garrett Wilson on the outside, and a speed back like Breece Hall, a running QB could really thrive in this offense. Idk who that is? But I'm just sayin.

A pocket passer could do well but the roster is still missing a possession wideout and a reliable slot guy that those types of QBs play well with.
    --

Pistol formation, running QB who either takes it himself, pitches it to Breece Hall with a head start or pulls back and flips it deep to Garrett Wilson, I mean damn thats beautifully set up.

14. stinkyB

He just doesnt look "in command" on the field to me. Some games / moments "This kid's got game".... the next "WTF was that?!?!"

Zach wilson on steroids

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Selecting QB in Rd. 1 is rarely a good thing. Bust rate among 1st round QBs is eye-whopping 40+%. You don't want to do that. If you want to groom the QB for a year or two, you shouldn't use 1st rounder on him. 1st rounder should go to instart starter, which QB rarely is. Even the SB-winning Pro Bowl calibre QBs struggled mightily in the first year or two.

What's more mind-boggling is, I don't know if this team has a system to nurture a QB if they draft one. Jets have been burning high picks after high picks looking for that franchise QB for the past decade. The transaction remains that, after Chad Pennington, Jets have failed every single QB experiment till this day. I am against drafting a QB in Rd. 1. (Maybe if Peyton Manning finds this mythical fountain of youth and returns as 20-some year old college grad - Maybe.)

Br4d likes this.
  16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's more like 65%+ on 1st round busts and that includes the #1 guys who work out 50% of the time.

Where a QB goes is also important. Mahomes and Allen might work out in NY but they're much more likely to bust than where they wound up.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  17. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Trey Lance went 3rd overall, Anthony Richardson is likely not making it out of the top 10 let alone to the 2nd round.

If we get rid of Zach I wouldn’t have a problem drafting a QB that can sit behind whichever vet we bring in this offseason.

Most likely scenario though is keeping Zach.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I’d take him in the first. I’m a fan.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If Stroud somehow falls to us, we'd be insane not to take him. I agree we shouldn't be seeking out a first round QB (though what we need to do is get a vet like Carr or Garoppolo, not delude ourselves into thinking Mike White is the answer). But that doesn't mean being so wedded to not taking a QB that we pass on Stroud. And remember, a player of any position can be a bust, not just a QB.

20. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

B Young has the talent. If he trains hard and puts on 3”-4” this off-season he can be a top QB in the league