Why is nobody frying Douglas for the Robinson trade?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GQMartin, Jan 5, 2023.

1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Douglas blew draft capital on guy they ultimately didn't use because:

A) they didn't need him with Zonovan Knight "stepping up"
    B) he wasn't a good fit for the system
    C) is slow

Where's the due diligence? Seems like a knee-jerk move and retrospectively wasteful.

It's also kind of shitty to trade for a guy and then have him deactivated after 1 game. Probably ruined his career.

Poeman likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again - there is a huge divide in priorities & philosophy between the coaching staff and the front office. This is just another example - the staff did not want James Robinson to begin with and Joe Douglas & friends put him in their laps.

Another good example is when there was a feeding frenzy over the Jets preseason cuts.

This was chalked up as a sign of depth and props were given to Joe Douglas for some reason- But that's not the case, Joe Douglas cut players that the staff wanted to keep. Robert Saleh has friends in this league, he expressed frustration over that and those friends benefitted by picking up those guys
    --

I dont think Saleh should be the fall guy for this dysfunction but I think he's going to be. Something has to budge

GQMartin and SOJAZ like this.
  3. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Why didn’t Douglas dO AnyThING after Breece went down???

[​IMG]

Hemi, IIMeanDeanII, AndyDrums and 2 others like this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Because spending a fifth round pick on a guy who was already a good player in the league and fits the system (not sure why you said he didn’t) when your star running back went down is a smart move? Most trades are a calculated risk. This one didn’t work out and at the end of the day we will end up probably getting the same production out of Robinson as we would have the fifth rounder we used that pick on.

hindsight is a hell of a thing. You didn’t see too many people on this website or really anywhere saying that the trade was risky or not worth it. This was always a possibility and no one seemed to have a problem with it the day it happened.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It did not turn out well, but at the time it made sense. It was a calculated risk. Similar to drafting Wilson. I understood and agreed with both at the time.

This was a conditional pick, so once they knew Robinson wasn't right, they sat him to only cost the team a 5th round pick instead of a 4th round pick.

Agreed it did not work out and in the end was a bad move, but not worth "frying" a GM over.

6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

We still don't know why they didn't play him

burf likes this.
  7. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

It was a decent gamble. It’s also another example of a player chirping and MLF burying them. I’m surprised the beat guys haven’t latched onto this yet.

Jets81, AndyDrums and Nyjets4eva like this.
  8. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

you think MLF makes these decisions, not Saleh?

9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I would imagine the potential jump from a 5th to a 4th played a role. Plus, he wasn't that impressive when he played and this was around the time Bam Knight was coming on.

This was a miss by JD, no doubt. Made sense at the time, but in hindsight was a miscalculation or a panic move as he wasn't an upgrade on the trio they had.

azhar80 and rockyusmc2003 like this.
  10. cmcm750203

Yes

11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He was running like there was a piano on his back. He didn’t look good. He’s either still injured or he’s not the same player post injury.
    I think this is a reach. He was the worst RB of the four on the roster.

azhar80 and bicketybam like this.
  12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'm not pissed that they gave up a draft pick for a running back when Breece went down.

I'm pissed that they gave up a draft pick for an injured running back when Breece went down.

rockyusmc2003, Br4d and Lon Chaney like this.
  13. cmcm750203

Probably but I enjoy dragging MLF’s name through the mud now so I almost hope it is true.

14. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

A thing to remember is Joe Douglas makes moves based on theory or paper. When your star running back goes down you need to make a move. Especially when our run game was a major part of our wins.

It was a good move on paper. Reality told a different tale. It was a solid move on paper considering we were halfway through the season. He made the best move possible. It was a gamble, like most mid-season moves are. His job isn’t to make players produce, it’s to find the best guy for the scheme. He did that.

Jets OG fan and Nyjets4eva like this.
  15. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

This. It seems if they waited a little bit they could've had Jeff Wilson. Maybe not but that would've been better.

In the end it's a 6th round pick so it's not something I would kill a GM for.

16. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

If that’s true would he have passed his physical? I’m just asking because I don’t think you trade for a guy you think is still injured tbh

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Let's be fair here: just as JD had other GMs time and again by giving them garbage and getting some value back, he's been had this time. But he only lost 6th rounder, so it's not great, but not enough to fry him.

Also, if you remembered Robinson trade to fry him for losing the 6th, then surely you must remember he gained 6th rounder for Cashman the same year. Small loss here, small gain there, basically evens out.

It will be 6th rounder, since James didn't gain the yards needed for the 5th condition to be activated.

rockyusmc2003 and ouchy like this.
  18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Who cares about one dumb trade..

If that was the worst thing this GM did to the Jets and the Fans it would be easily overlooked

THE BIG PICTURE: Losing record as Jets GM; hired a newbie HC and OC who "learn" at our expense of heartache and anger>>>missed out on hiring experienced Coach in Peterson and didn't scout Daibol or dan Campbell as good candidates; lied about OL ; was fooled about ZW; serves up a bunch of BS for our the failure he caused

TBH ..he has ONE brilliant draft class that just went to fuckin waste

Douglas can get lost..do any of you want more or this???

19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Yeah it was a condition 6th not a condition 5th. Robinson was hurt but those saying he sucked are little off base. All our backs sucked during his games here.

Robinson only had 29 carries for 85 yards, with a 2.9 ypc. Not great but look at the games he played in. The first game against Pats Carter and Johnson averaged 3.0 ypc, and the second Pats game they averaged 1.9 ypc. Against the Bills Carter averaged 1 ypc. It was a terrible stretch for our run blocking.

He should have played against Jax, because it would have been a grudge game for him. Instead he sat while Bam, Johnson, and Carter had 10 rushes for 11 yards. This was kind of a big game not to give him a chance. The trade wasn't dumb, but how we used him kind of was. But that's the Jets for ya.

#19 ouchy, Jan 5, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    rockyusmc2003 and burf like this.
  20. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

giving up a 6th rounder for a producing back was a good trade...for whatever reason they stopped playing him even though he produced.

this was a good move once breece went down