Year End Grade: Mike LeFleur - OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2023.

?

Your Year End Grade for MLF

1. A+ to A-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. B+ to B-

6.4%
  3. C+ to C-

28.2%
  4. D or below

65.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

C- for me.

He wasn't great this year but how much of that was his scheme an how much was the lack of competence at QB?

I'm probably willing to give him one more year with a different QB and see how it plays out but I'd also be fine if Saleh and JD decide to go in another direction.

dmw likes this.
  2. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Fire him!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Can someone explain how firing MLF helps anything?

FIRE HIM!!!!!

Okay, then what?

How does firing the OC fix anything?

You guys can't see how that would actually hinder this process?

You can't change an offensive scheme every other year and expect any kind of continuity, sustained success, comfortability, etc...

Players were open. We were getting yards all year. We never had enough to be a top flight offense and people still want to pretend like we were destined for SuperBowl glory.

Knee jerk reactions from this fan base Is a big reason why this team has fucking sucked for so long as well. I hope Woody stays In his fucking hole and stops listening to the NYJ fans that literally just think firing everyone will mean success. It's dumb.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree that lack of stability has hurt the Jets in the past, but sticking with a bad GM/CS has been at least as bad. I lean towards keeping Saleh and his CS (except the QB and OL coaches) unless clear upgrades can be brought in. "Upgrades" meaning guys having winning experience in the job.

You can't have the problems on offense all year and not assign some blame to the OC and his staff. They don't give out points for "players open" or even "yards accumulated". Put most of that on the QBs, especially Zach but White didn't crack the EZ nearly enough for all his completions and yardage, but the play calling was also part of the problem. If you don't see that then I guess we have to ATD.

Ralebird and SOJAZ like this.
  5. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

He's a tough one. The offensive coordinator is the number one scapegoat for probably 90% of fanbases. I don't want to fall into the trap of, "the offense sucks, so it has to be the play calling."

There is video evidence that his plays have schemed guys open and Zach couldn't hit them. That's pretty irrefutable. This past week against Seattle, Mike White missed a good amount of open guys.

Having said that, I thought he abandoned the run a lot this year. It felt like the team was running the ball OK against Seattle, and they just stopped doing it. The Jets have four backup-at-best QB's, they cannot win without running the ball.

I'm not firing him, but I am placing him firmly on the hot seat.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

They achieve improvement In two years time, we have the best roster we've seen In a decade, but we are sticking with a bad GM/CS? Even though we did have a ton of improvement on both sides of the ball, and had a chance to make the playoffs In a year where we were just looking for improvement.

Improvement and heading In the right direction Isn't a good sign I guess?

It's wild to me.

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The question is: why are we not able to run the ball, even against shit defenses? Are the RBs so bad? Is it just a terrible OLine or coaching? Is the OLine terrible because of the coaching? It just seems like every player on the OLine is doing worse than last year: Laken, Fant, Brown, even CMG has done bad lately. If it's up to me, I would try to get another OLine coach and also at least 3 new starters on the OLine.

Cman68, SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

Re-read what I posted. I did not say that we should just fire the GM/CS. I said that over many years we've stuck with GMs and CS that should've been fired long before they were. In the current situation I haven't demanded anyone be fired. That said, if there are clear upgrades available then I wouldn't be opposed to replacing the people we have. Even at that, I would think long and hard about replacing JD even though I have lowered my overall grade of him to a C/C+. If a guy like Payton or Harbaugh agreed to come here but demanded full control such that Douglas had to go, I'd do it, although I'd prefer that they keep Douglas as a VP of Football Ops, like the Ravens did with Ozzie.

And yes, maybe I'm overreacting today. I'm a "fan", short for "fanatic", and am subject to having my emotions rule over logic. But as I posted elsewhere, after 60+ years I don't have much more time to be patient.

Borat and SOJAZ like this.
  9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Fire him.

The offense died when Breece and AVT went down. It’s pretty much that simple.

Jets OG fan and SOJAZ like this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This is a tough one. If we have to get rid of JD and clean house if we can get Harbaugh, would we really do it? On one hand, after the draft he just had, how do you get rid of JD? On the other - Harbaugh is a proven winner, at every level. I guess if I was guaranteed Harbaugh, I would do it. But that's the thing, we are not guaranteed that. In fact, chances are very small we get him after firing JD. Hence realistically, I think don't fire JD now. If next year we are still a fringe team, I clean the house and go hard after Harbaugh, if he is available. But not now.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Not so credible sources are saying he’s interested in the Carolina job.

12. cval

cval Well-Known Member

His play designs were not good, enough of the time to question. The bad QB play from four different QBs points back at the OC. There are plenty of teams running similar schemes to find someone without to much disruption.

I do think it is amazing that everyone is writing off Zach after 20 career starts. He has not earned the faith of anyone but he is far from done.

#132 cval, Jan 3, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He's going to be used by Woody/Douglas to push out Saleh. They are gonna tell him to fire his friend LaFleur and handpick his new offensive coordinator or else, hoping he will resign and save Woody some money. I hope Saleh calls them on that game and says no.

cmcm750203 likes this.
  14. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

There were many players that played like crap on the offense. Is that a coaching failure? Maybe.

15. ColoradoContrails

Can you explain this? Woody is going to only use the threat of signing Harbaugh to force Saleh out to save money, but then what? Not hire Harbaugh? Hire Harbaugh to "save money"? I don't get where you're going with this scenario.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

You may be confused, I was not discussing Harbaugh at all. The topic is LaFleur

17. ColoradoContrails

Yes, I was confused. Thanks.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  18. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

Not sure I’d fire MLF but if Chrebet is calling for his head and Coles is in agreement…maybe these are the sorts of guys the org should be listening to.

cmcm750203 and Ralebird like this.
  19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Other than simply "faith" what makes you declare the bolded?

20. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

KY Jets Fan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.