We need some new leadership and a proven QB... your HC pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, Jan 1, 2023.

?

Who would you want to see as HC in 2023?

1. Sean Payton, Former HC Saints

17 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. Jim Harbaugh, HC Michigan Wolverines

9 vote(s)
    17.0%
  3. Brian Callahan, Offensive Coordinator, Bengals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Eric Bieniemy, Offensive Coordinator, Chiefs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Ken Dorsey, Offensive Coordinator, Bills

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Kellen Moore, Offensive Coordinator, Cowboys

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Shane Steichen, Offensive Coordinator, Eagles

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Adam Stenavich, Offensive Coordinator, Packers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Keep Robert Saleh as HC another year

25 vote(s)
    47.2%
  10. Other Candidate

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I voted Saleh but I'd take Payton or Harbaugh. Just don't see it happening.
    I read through several posts and I get it I'm not happy either but I think something is being built here. I don't think you scrap that and move on because of a disappointing end of the season. Going into the season we would have been happy with a 7-8 win season where we finally see some progress.

2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'm not ready to say fire Saleh, but I'm seeing enough signs that I'm getting worried about his longterm prospects as a HC here

If it was actually possible to get Sean Payton or hell even Jim Harbaugh I'd probably do it. Not sure I'd take another swing at a coordinator.

I'm more concerned about who's playing QB in 2023. I'd like to see this regime with a competent QB

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think it’s fair. He’s hit on one of those many players you listed and he had to invest three draft picks to get a guard in the top 15 of the draft to do so.

Br4d and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  4. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

They haven't given the 2022 numbers, but in 2021 J&J reported that 2021's vaccine sales reached $2.4 billion. That doesn't even count the Billions in over the counter medication, pharmaceutical products, and PPE items they sell, which had sales bolstered by Covid for two years. J&J, aka Woody and his family made BILLIONS.

5. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I can’t help your reading comprehension, where have I said he’s been inactive in assessing the O-line? He’s been the opposite.

You’ve already missed out dog shit signings like Kalil, so let’s say that our “OL guru” has signed 20 players to fill 5 spots and we still have a colander of a O-line. Unlucky you say? Cursed I would say. Just really, really, really. really bad luck.

Hopefully we use 7 draft picks on the OL in 2023 because at least 6 will need to retire before mandatory training camps.

6. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I'll take effort over not addressing It, any day.

We have been more used to GMs that literally ignore the line all together.

It needs to be better but I also want to see what It looks like as intended. You know, without the hundred injuries along the way.

7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Woody has no part of Johnson & Johnson. True story.

Ralebird and Section 336 like this.
  8. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

"Woody Johnson is heir to the Johnson & Johnson pharmaceutical fortune, which was founded by his great-grandfather, Robert Wood Johnson I." He does not directly own or run J&J, but he and his family owns shares in J&J.

According to Bloomberg, Woody's reported net worth has went up by over $1B in just the last two years.

9. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

He's hasn't made billions off of Covid. His net worth is tied to the value of the New York Jets. That's where he makes his money.

10. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

no one is getting fired folks. Johnson is still writing checks to former coaches AND his qb bust Wilson.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree that Douglas has tried to fix the OL, but it's clear he hasn't. So what is the problem? Just down to "bad luck"? There's too many problems for it to be just that.

At a high level, when considering adding players, a GM has to consider:

- Skills they possess vs. skills required
    - Quality of those skills
    - Cost for acquiring the players you decide match your skills/quality grid
    - Cost for retaining those players - are they "one year rentals" or seen as long term answers?

Douglas obviously knows how to judge talent. Being involved in player assessments and acquisitions for years proves that, as well as seeing some of the players he's gotten as FAs or the draft. That pretty much addresses the first two considerations: he can evaluate talent and how they fit into the schemes the Jets want to run. So then it comes down to "costs". I think this is where things start to go south. Part of that is due to salary cap limitations, but part of it is due to Douglas trying to be "frugal" and "getting something for nothing" or for discovering "hidden gems". But he needs to keep in mind the saying "You get what you pay for".

But beyond all of the above, yes there is some part that's based on "luck". Still, as one of my favorite Branch Rickey sayings says: "Luck is the residue of design". GMs who are consistently "lucky" aren't really, they're just plain smarter.

Borat, IIMeanDeanII and ConcordeChops like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

If we could get Payton, I'd be okay with that, maybe even Harbaugh, because both have proven track records as successful, offensive minded, HCs in the NFL. Beyond that I'm not ready to do another complete tear down rebuild under the direction of Douglas (or anyone) and a first time HC. I'd prefer they give Saleh and Douglas one more year to get into the playoffs and make some noise at least, which by extension means they would have solved the QB problem at least for now. If they don't do that, then another fucking rebuild is on the table, but if that happens, they had better sign a proven offensive-minded HC to start with. Enough of the coordinator craps shoots.

Br4d, IIMeanDeanII and HomeoftheJets like this.
  13. IIMeanDeanII

I challenge you to find a team that has been hit by injuries the last two years more than we have. I've been looking, went through about a quarter of the NFL teams so far, not even close to what we've been hit with. Injury wise.

It doesn't matter though. I think we can all agree that the OL Is a problem. I don't get paid to figure It out so I'm done doing so.

I don't know. It needs fixed though. I'm tired of debating things at this point If I'm honest. I'm drained. I shouldn't feel so upset over a team that has let me down for a better part of my life, most my life. The SOJ stench Is very potent for me right now and I have a sneaky feeling It's only going to go further south from here.

14. ColoradoContrails

My advice: If you can't detach more emotionally from football, find another team to root for. I doubt the Jets will ever be anything more than a "red headed step child" in the NFL. Certainly as long as they're owned by the Johnsons who have absolutely no incentive to spend money to make them into a winning franchise. They're ROI has gone up at least 400%, they're never going to sell. If I were much younger I'd look for another team. At this point I'll simply dial way back on my emotional investment and invest it in other areas of my life.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He tried to fix it, but he failed. We did get unlucky with some injuries, but he did draft Becton over Wirfs, preferred Fant to Moses, blew a huge chunk of CAP on Laken, who btw we have to play next season too due to the contract. We also don't really have later round picks contributing on OLine. Yes, Mitchell may next year, but this year, even before injury, he was not good. Becton was fat and injury prone: he has knock knees condition, which JD must have known about. https://sicscore.com/nfl/updates/je...injury-likely-causing-him-to-switch-positions
    Brown was old and Fant was injury prone, so it cannot be a complete shocker they missed time.

The bottom line is that it doesn't really matter. OLine stinks, and JD hasn't done a good enough job. Maybe part of it is coaching, but JD hired the coach also, so can't really absolve him.

16. IIMeanDeanII

It's bad choices and bad luck. I'm not upset with any of the moves aside from the Laken Tomlinson addition and that contract. Otherwise, It Is what It Is.

17. IIMeanDeanII

I love you CC but that was the worst advice I've ever been given.

All the shit I've put up with because of this team.. Nah, It wont be for nothing. I'll die before these assholes get the best of me or I quit. I have more passion and heart than any of those fuck stain millionaires at the top.

My only saving grace will be If they become the team we all want them to be or they sell and move the team elsewhere. That's It for me.

Brook! likes this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Is the coin still available. I think we can get him for cheap.

19. ColoradoContrails

I admire your persistence. I've stuck with them for 60+ years so I haven't followed my own advice (Seen my byline?). And frankly I've learned long ago to not give advice thinking that anyone would - or should - follow it. I guess I probably should've framed it more as" If you don't want to wind up like me, find another team or some way to dial back the emotional investment.

Brook! and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  20. IIMeanDeanII

I know man. I don't hate you giving me advice, I just know who I am, and I will crawl through nails and glass for this team before I quit on them. Even though they quit on us, endlessly. I know It doesn't make rational sense and my mental health Is probably terrible. Still, I am who I am.

I appreciate you.

I just know I try to do the best I can, I hold on because I keep telling myself that when the day finally does come. The day we finally do win a SB In my life time, all this misery, will make that moment that much better. I'll probably cry If I'm honest.. Which I am. Some may call me weak and judge me for It but that's who I am, I take punishment, I endure, I hope, and I keep getting back up. Always. Then I move forward. I don't know how to be any different than that.

Dialing back on the emotional investment though. Yeah, that's something I have been working on. The start of this new year though.. brutal.

My favorite college team got eliminated from the playoffs on a missed kick to start the new year off, then later In the same day, my favorite Pro team shits the bed to get eliminated from the playoffs. Just brutal but I'm finally starting to pump the brakes a bit and move forward again. ha