Early Draft Thoughts

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WoodyHarrelson, Dec 27, 2022.

1. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Sorry for the length but for all you draft junkies, get in here.

With a lot of football still left to play, the draft position may not be known. Honestly, we could be picking in the top 10 or outside of the top 20 based on these next two weeks. A few points and prospects I want to touch on. I love the draft and always enjoy speculating here all year. What say you?

-OL: First off, our OL has been awful and injury plagued. It's the toughest position to play and I am hoping a stable QB will give these guys a bit more clarity during games to avoid injuries/crazy scramble drills. I have no clue how we got so injured this year. I think establishing a strong run game will help them stay healthy.
    *Becton: Boomer said from what he's heard, he has been at One Jets Drive and doing the right thing. You have to assume he will be starting on one side of the line next year and maybe they eve try him back at LT. Also, from Conor Hughes, he note JD rarely moves on from his draft picks (generally speaking) before end of contract.
    *Max Mitchell: I want to say he will be our right tackle but we don't know about him. We saw a few games and he was getting worked in half of them. He needs to get bigger. He is a nice swing tackle option with Cedric O. next year.
    *AVT: This is my main point, a lot of this depends on when we draft. If we miss on the top round 1 OTs ie Broderick Jones, Sronski from NW etc. We have the luxury to move AVT to RT and be fine. I think that with Mitchell backing up is strong, we just need an insurance policy for Becton. There are plenty of interior OL that probably should be addressed later in the draft. Spending a round 1 pick on a C/G is not always necessary. The key is getting the tackles identified which is the hard thing to do. If we commit to AVT at RT even, we could address other areas in the draft not OL in round 1 based on BPA (DE?)

A few prospects I would love to target
    -Issiah Foskey (ND DE)-RD 1. If we commit to AVT at RT, this could be a steal here. Proven player at a proven program. I am assuming Carl Lawson is gone next year so it's just JJ and Bryce Huff? I know we have Michael Clemson and JFM but they are SSDE truly.
    -Peter Skronski (NW LT)-RD 1. Will be a top 12 pick.
    -Broderick Jones: Best LT in SEC. Reminds me of college Becton in a way.
    -Paris Johnson (LT OSU)-RD 1

Obviously the 3 LT should be a target but if we are outside of top 20 it will be difficult and that's why I like Foskey. Enough interior OL to help in round 2/3 UGA center, Shmitz, C Minnesota, Vorhees LG USC, etc.

Round 2/3:
    -Jordan Battle S Bama
    -Brandon Joseph S ND
    -Jarrett Paterson C ND
    -Matt Bergeron Syracuse LT
    -Schmitz Minn C
    -Andrew Vorheees USC LG

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

With a loss we could be at 10 or a win be around 15. Does Broderick Jones fall? Think that's the guy.

3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Definitely zeroing in on a LT in the 1st. Unsure who I prefer but looks like three good prospects. Like the idea of a FS in the 2nd, like Battle or Joseph, but wouldn't argue with an IOL either.

OL is going to be a mess to sort out and you only have one locked-in starter in AVT (assuming full health...) and even he can seemingly play many positions well. I don't think Becton is going anywhere so maybe he competes with Max Mitchell at RT. I'd love to ditch Tomlinson, what a disappointment he's been, but hard cap-wise. I'm fine with re-upping McGovern for 2-3 years, but I want an IOL prospect in the first 3 rounds ideally. Herbig and LDT are worthy of depth and starting consideration, but no sure things.

4. WoodyHarrelson

Man, here we are and looking at a top 10 pick.

Three options here:
    -LT: Johnson, Skeonski, or Broderick Jones. Man, Broderick Jones looked good vs OSU.
    -Levis. I haven’t heard Greta things but he may be in play where we draft. Maybe trade up for Stroud if he falls. But doubtful.
    -Trade Back. We still need depth. Plenty of options to do.

safety in round 2 or interior OL.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Definitely thinking that OL is a priority in this draft.

I consider Becton to be maybe a 30% chance to have a role next year. Hard to do otherwise when he's started 14 out of 50 possible games in his NFL career.

Ozymandias and dawinner127 like this.
  6. WoodyHarrelson

Wether or not we like it, he will have a role. We have no choice. Or what? Bench Becton for a guy off the street like Duane Brown.

I think they give Tomlinson another year. Too much cap hit and he stayed healthy. Potential is there but he was not great.

McGovern, only bring him back on cheap, very average player.

LT: Round 1 pick. Becton back up.
    LG: Tomlinson , draft round 3-5
    C: CMG or draft round 2-3
    RG: AVT and Herbig
    RT: Becton or Mitchell

what’s tough is LT takes a year or two to get it. Andrew Thomas being the perfect example. He was horrid year 1 and now best LT in league.

I also we think a bit more of an identity and stable QB on O. Maybe mentally will make the OL more stable with their duties. We just have so many injuries.

just wild we pick Becton over Wirfs.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think it is an open question as to whether Becton will be available to play next season. It's not talent that's holding him back it's his body breaking down under the stresses of the NFL game.

Tomlinson will be 31 next year and he stepped down this season. Odds on a comeback to his previous level are low.

8. WoodyHarrelson

Agreed on Becton. This will be it for him. Just have to hope they have confidence in Max Mitchell as backup. And our LT comes from draft.

9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Yeah, no chance they cut Tomlinson just to save 1 million by making another hole. Becton should def compete with Mitchell at RT and then AVT slides back to RG. Not sure what they do at C since McGovern is a FA and has been awful in the 2H of the season after a good 1H. Wonder if that could be because having AVT next to him made him look better?

I remember reading or hearing somewhere that Tomlinson played Center at one point?

10. WoodyHarrelson

LT
    FS
    C

rounds 1-3

11. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

OL has been a huge liability all year and Douglas has a soft spot for linemen. So I think that will be the route we go.

12. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Considering where we are picking in round one, getting one of the linebackers might be the way to go in round one.

Getting an offensive lineman in round two and or three might make sense.

blackssmagic likes this.
  13. WoodyHarrelson

Eh. LB is a luxury imo. Plenty of good ones in middle rounds. OL is priority 1

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

A dream scenario is getting one of Simpson or Sewell in round 1 and Anton Harrison in round 2.

15. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I think we’re stocked at DE so I wouldn’t go that direction but I’m also not crazy about the OTs at the top of the class.

Picking in the top 13, I’d like to see who falls and I’d pounce (or trade up a little) on Carter or Stroud.

Rather than forcing a 1st rd OT, I’d rather take a monster like Dawand Jones in the 3rd. A 2 year starting RT for Ohio state. 6’8 350 with the best zone blocking grades in the class. And go Biggest Upgrade Available in the 2nd.

Going into 2023 with a minimum of

Becton - AVT
    LT - AVT
    CMg
    AVT - Herbig
    Jones - Mitchell

16. WoodyHarrelson

Don’t disagree with that. We have options. We also have a lot of holes on this team and need numerous starters. I’d trade back if warranted too. Becton and AVT can play LT, you’re right. Similar to what I said above.

17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I'd be fine with not drafting anyone on defense until the mid-late rounds.

I know the D kinda fell off at the end of the year but it's the offense that's holding this team back.

Address QB and the OL first, any remaining cap space/picks can be used towards FS, EDGE, and LB.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  18. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I think OT is going to be the pick. Center will probably be in play in the later rounds.

Becton is a gigantic question mark, but probably too talented to completely write off. If healthy (huge if), he'll be starting at one of the spots. Anyone they draft will probably be starting at the other spot.

I think WR, FS, MLB are all in play in the middle rounds. A lot depends on Moore/Mims/Davis this offseason. If the trade requests are rescinded, WR probably won't be addressed. Davis could be cut, but his contract isnt that crazy right now.

QB will need to be addressed at some point as well, but I doubt that will be any earlier than round three.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I still believe a sideline to sideline LB can be our first pick if the right prospect is available when we pick.

blackssmagic likes this.
  20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I don't feel like there's a Parsons-esque LB prospect in this class though, at least one worthy of a 1st rounder.

The good thing is there should be some really good options on Day 2 if they want to address LB. Trenton Simpson (my fav LB prospect in the class), Noah Sewell (Penei's brother), and Henry To'o To'o should start to go off the board in the 2nd/3rd round range.