Year End Grade: Robert Saleh - Head Coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2023.

?

Your grade?

1. A+ to A-

1.4%
  2. B+ to B-

21.8%
  3. C+ to C-

49.3%
  4. D or Lower

27.5%
  1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Unless the Giants make big moves in the offseason, they're gonna be in for a letdown next year once they have to face a real schedule.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Isn't like a 65% an F in school? Somewhere around there. That is what I would give Saleh. He reminds me too much of Rex Ryan, except without the jokes. He does the same thing where he depends on his defense, and it fails. I would understand Woody not giving him a 3rd year.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Today is not the day to defend Saleh, I get that. Bad coaching job today.

but I do want to say this about him. Woody and his business advisor meddle in everything. They are not football people telling others what to do. Joe Douglas is the yes man who does what they tell him, Saleh is not.

whether Saleh is good at his job or not, I respect that he’s not letting the “suits” push him around and I don’t think we will ever win if they hire another yes man

stinkyB likes this.
  4. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Woody should be pissed off. His team stunk it up big time. Maybe heads need to roll to have any semblance of legitimate football played by this Jets team. How many times have we seen this ridiculous charade with the parade of coaching candidates and then they choose some coordinator with zero head coaching experience. I'm as frustrated as you are. Whatever buttons they push I just hope they deliver us a winning team next season.

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

He was bad today.... and being every players buddy has to stop. White wasnt getting it done and clearly was getting worse (pretty obvious the injury was affecting him, as his passes lost velocity and accuracy as the game went on). Moments this season when I thought he was great, and others when he was awful. I think he gets next year to see if the growth continues, but his seat is getting warm.

SOJAZ, Pepsiguy5 and BrowningNagle like this.
  6. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I disagree. He’s nothing like Rex Ryan and I liked Rex. But Rex was completely uninvolved on one side of the ball … as was Gase for that matter. Rex also had some embarrassing off the field behavior. I definitely think Saleh is more of a CEO. Unfortunately if you can’t block the play or throw the football consistently, you might have some problems on offense. He handled the Zach situation as well as anyone could. He had no choice but to play him … but also knew enough to defer to the locker room and sit him when everyone felt like Zach’s play was killing our playoff chances and demoralizing the team. I’ll only fault him for allowing an anti Zach vibe to leave the locker room and become public. He should have put a fence around that immediately.

7. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

They took a step forward the first half of the season but they completely regressed the last half and look no better than they did last year. Saleh shoulders a huge amount of the blame for the meltdown we've seen since Chicago. Hes now 11-22 as a HC. That type of record usually gets coaches fired but Im sure he'll get another year with a playoff mandate.

SOJAZ and Br4d like this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I didn't like Rex. And I am not a huge Saleh fan either. Sometimes injuries really do play a role and it definitely did on the offensive side of the ball. Still, the defense has not been great this whole stretch too. That is my problem with Saleh. I wouldn't even mind losing if the Jets gave a good fight. They haven't for 3 straight games and especially the last 2 against average Jacksonville and Seattle teams. Unacceptable.

Jets79 and KWJetsFan like this.
  9. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

You make valid points but we didn’t look as bad as last year until the last two games. Prior to that it looked like we could hold our own against almost anyone. I can’t explain last Thursday or today and I won’t try to make excuses. They were ABYSMAL from top to bottom in those games.

dmw, Jets79 and 94Abraham like this.
  10. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

That's my major issue as well. Coming up so short, and playing so poorly in the games that meant the most. Especially considering we had 10 days to prepare for today's game and it looked like they weren't aware they had a game until 5 minutes before kickoff.

Jets79, The Dark Knight and stinkyB like this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

5 of their 9 wins have come against teams that are in the hunt next week. Granted they are mostly .500 or less but they’re building something really good there. We should’ve hired Daboll.

12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The question that has been asked many times before, but never answered is what indication is there that Woody Johnson, or his "business advisor" meddle in anything football related at all? It's easy to point the finger but shouldn't there be some substance to be found behind such charges?

Acad23 likes this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I like Daboll, but they need to upgrade from Daniel Jones if they want to be legit contenders. They'll need to improve quite a bit to finish next year with the same record as this year.

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

First half of the season was an A; second half an F. I give him a D because it’s not a situation where I average those two. The way he ended the season impacts my grade of him more than how they started.

Brook! and Br4d like this.
  15. Ralebird

And the coaching staff is virtually the same as it was a year ago. Why?

16. Jonathan_Vilma

I’m not a Daniel Jones stan but he was literally throwing to practice squad receivers. Isaiah Hodgins and Richie James were mid-season signees. He’s worth another year.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I heard it from someone in the building. Beat writers are too big of pussies to write about it. Believe it if you want or don’t, I don’t care

18. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

he's a cheerleader coach

Br4d likes this.
  19. Ralebird

The only thing I remember Woody doing is pushing the signing of Tebow and that was more a marketing decision than any thought that he would be a viable QB.

What are some of the things he has done to override the football people?

20. Jonathan_Vilma

You just answered your own question. Sanchez would complete a 25 yard pass and come off the field for 1 yard Tebow QB draw to completely fuck up the offensive rhythm.

KWJetsFan likes this.