Year End Grade: Robert Saleh - Head Coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2023.

?

Your grade?

1. A+ to A-

1.4%
  2. B+ to B-

21.8%
  3. C+ to C-

49.3%
  4. D or Lower

27.5%
  1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It's C for me. Don't think he should get fired... But - we could have waited for one more week for the Bills to lose to the Chiefs, and hire Daboll. Who is probably a COY in his rookie year taking shitty Giants to the play-offs. What a miss in retrospect.

2. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

When are we playing the Bills again this season? I give him a c though . The wins we had early in the season were against a string of mostly back up qbs . That changed us from developing a team to pushing for a playoff. We were not ready plus some key injuries, not having great depth that killed us.

3. 24McNeil

24McNeil Well-Known Member

as the season went on and on teams usually get better, we have done the complete opposite and look completely dysfunctional on offense. there is only one grade to give: F

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

C - C+.

He's done a pretty good job as a second year HC, but he needs to take a hard look at his OC/DC coaches, along with the QB and OL coaches. The offense really sputtered no matter who the QB was, and a good CO would've figured out a way to fix that. Likewise the "D", while improved, couldn't get turnovers down the stretch or stop teams on 3rd down. IDK if that means the OC and DC should be fired, but they need to be looked at with a critical eye.

I give Saleh next year as his make or break year, unless Payton or Harbaugh or someone of that caliber are available.

Ralebird, JETFUEL1580 and Borat like this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Becton was high injury risk before the year, and AVT and Breece are big losses, but this is really it. Every team deals with big losses, I don't think we had more than average this season. Saleh dealt with poor QB play, but could some of it be on coaching too? If Harbaugh expressed interest to come to the Jets, I would definitely do it in a heartbeat, but I think this is a scenario where Saleh and JD get another year, and it will be clean house if we do not make play-offs next year.

SOJAZ likes this.
  6. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with him. But, as soon as Jets turn back into a pumpkin Cimini is right there firing napalm.

As has been mentioned in other threads unless you're hiring Sean Payton you give Saleh one more year.

7. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Normally, I would say let him ride it out for another year because we have no alternative. Normally, the options are unproven coordinators, former head coaches with red flags that got them fired, and college coaches who may or may not understand the pro game. But here, we have an opportunity for a Super Bowl winning coach who could, at the very least, get us into the playoffs.

I was all for giving Saleh another year, but right now I'm REALLY thinking hard about that. It's not just that we're on a losing skid and out of the playoffs, its that the team has become less and less competitive each week. It would be one thing if they just kept coming up short, but they're losing because of costly mistakes and bad game plans. I wanted improvement for the team this year, and I did see that. But now I'm seeing regression.

SOJAZ and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

sad thing is no-one of any quality is going to come ot the Jets anyway as we don't have a QB and the only teams that are successful are ones with good QBs (pretty much regardless of who is coaching them)

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If all he knows is Defense, then he should be the DC and Ulbrich shouldn't be on the roster at all. He's a good coach, but I don't think he's a Head Coach. No time soon anyway. He still has to learn how to be the CEO and not just the player's pal. He's gonna have to take a hard look at MLF and deal with the possibility that a change is needed there. It really shouldn't matter if MLF is the baby bro of his bestie up in Green Bay. MLF probably would have been better off staying as a passing game coordinator instead of a OC. He has zero feel for the run game and when and how to use it. Saleh is too much of a player's coach. He's also way too cool given all the bullshit calls the team suffered thru this year. Players say what they want and if its something he doesn't like? Its off to the NFL equivalent of Siberia.

All in all, we needed a veteran HC to come in but in true Woody Johnson fashion, tried to catch lightning in a bottle by hiring a newbie who interviews well. We will suck until either Saleh is replaced, or he finally gets enough experience to become a HC. We're talking years down the road though..

SOJAZ, Br4d and Since1969 like this.
  10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yep... Team has obviously regressed . I say if your charitable he stays for next year but actuall you need to jump on a Vet coach like Payton...do it now JD. Mean Dean thinks the players like him and play hard >>> go see the putrid results like today . Old and young fans are all fuck*n depressed

My grade for Saleh was C- ...he's the Coach that enjoys basketball game with the guys on team between practices..no discipline no demand for anything!

I was tempted to grade him a D actually

#50 NYJetsO12, Jan 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    SOJAZ, Br4d and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

What do you think our record would have been if we had a league average QB like Kirk Cousins? I think we'd be challenging the Bills for first, and Saleh would have his name thrown out there for Coach of the Year.

Pepsiguy5 and dawinner127 like this.
  12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The Jets didn't just "turn back into a pumpkin," they haven't been anything other than a pumpkin for a dozen years! Cimini didn't say Saleh needs to go - what makes you go there? Cimini reported the fact that the Giants are in and the Jets are out - those are facts that people don't want to face so they take pot shots at the messenger. He also opines that the owner cannot be happy about the situation - shouldn't every Jet fan be happy to hear that?

Cimini didn't start the fire, it was always burning and anybody here should know it but some prefer to take themselves down a fanciful path every spring and get pissed off when reality inevitably rears its ugly head.

SOJAZ and Borat like this.
  13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Hard to say. We had too many injuries and no consistency on offense or on the sidelines. There was more than a Qb issue that held this team back. Systematically, the philosphy just didn't fit the Qb talent or the talent on the field. MLF may be able to scheme guys open, but in the big picture, it only meant yards and not points. Saleh should have demanded a more consistent identity to the offense but it appeared he didn't want to be MLF's boss, just his pal.

SOJAZ, Br4d, Ralebird and 1 other person like this.
  14. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I gave him a C, just not great enough and made terrible adjustments during the year

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

All Gas No Brake baby! F.

16. HomeoftheJets

There's not a single defensive-minded HC in the league, other than Belichick, who could tell his OC what to do and succeed. And even Belichick can't finish much better than .500 without a franchise QB. Maybe MLF was the wrong pick for OC, but you're holding Saleh to a higher standard than other teams' coaches. And to be clear, I'm not saying Saleh is great or even good. But out of everyone involved in this mess, he's the one guy who's brought some success to the Jets in the area he has the most control over.

Pepsiguy5 and JohnnyP123456 like this.
  17. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Not even a question. We literally had the worst QB play in the league for the entire season. Imagine if it was just mediocre? Not even above average, mediocre. That is why I am all in for Carr, don't need him to be the guy to carry the load. Just be average or slightly above.

JohnnyP123456 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  18. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Giving him an F is too harsh. He won 7 games with the maybe worst QB room in the league, lost a stud RB, and had an OL held together with spit and bubble gum all year. Even in our worst performances we didn't get blown out. Did you guys already forget how bad we were last season? We left a few W’s on the table and that sucks, and he has to wear some of the blame, but this team still took a step forward this year. That’s not an F. I’ll call it a C

NY Jets68, SOJAZ, Pepsiguy5 and 3 others like this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

I agree, but as some caution, we won't get as lucky with facing backup QBs next year. We could upgrade at QB and still not do as well as we would have done this year with a non-terrible QB.

dawinner127 likes this.
  20. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Basically we have a tale of two teams. The Giants needing a win to make the playoffs came out pretty fired up. Okay it was the Colts with a backup QB (Foles) playing but you still have to win the game and they dominated from the start. Now lets look at the Jets, also needing a win against a mediocre team to stay alive in the playoff hunt, and compare how they played with absolutely no passion for the entire game. I hate to use the expression Same Old Jets, because I know there is at least some talent on this team. However, today's performance looked like a rerun of a bad movie and the coach has to bear some responsibility.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.