Well, so much for this season....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Jan 1, 2023.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

White can be our number two or even number three guy if the price is right. He might even win the starting job next year at some point but he would have to do something special next week to get starter money.

Injuries are a bitch.

2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

This season was over when we lost back to back at home against the Lions and Jags….we knew then that this is not a playoff team

there are some good building blocks but we need to fix the OL and find a QB on O, and we need a stud edge rusher on D

Jojo and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

When we polled at the start of the season, majority would’ve been happy if we won 7 games lol Saleh isn’t perfect but we can’t continuing hiring and firing coaches every 3 years. We need stability. CS gets one more year. Let’s see how they do next season with a healthy roster and vet QB.

#23 Get me the Damn Ball, Jan 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
  4. bmfc1

bmfc1 Well-Known Member

At the beginning of the season, I hoped for "meaningful games" at the end of the season and enough progress so they would be at worse 1 or 2 wins from the playoffs and a playoff spot would be in sight for next year. That's what happened but the way it happened, including the absence of a winning QB for 2023, makes the result frustrating and aggravating instead of giving us hope.

Jojo and Jets79 like this.
  5. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I didn’t say it was forward progress.

ukjetsfan likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Soooo...it wasn't all Zach Wilson's fault?

Yeah, I know, Wilson struggled and was benched - deservedly so, but a half too late - but hopefully unbiased fans can see there were/are other problems on this team. Of course Problem #1 is QB.

I think White's ribs really impacted his ability to throw more than anyone expected. He's tough and he gave it his best effort, but they really needed to get the running game going to help him today and they didn't. Again. Too bad for White because his "audition" may be his "curtain call" with the Jets. They have to find a proven winning QB for next season. It isn't White, and certainly Wilson - if they keep him - isn't ready, so they need to really go hard after a proven vet who can take them to the playoffs. My vote is Carr but there are a lot of hurdles in that move, still, he would be the best option if they can get him.

This was a tough way to end the season, but they did make progress, and they did stay in the hunt until the end and that's what most of us wanted.

NY Jets68 and Borat like this.
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Why should the whole coaching staff get another year? Is it at all logical that every guy on the staff is pulling his weight or is it more likely that there are a bunch of buddies and malingerers who are not getting the job done and some need to go before any progress will be realized?

James Hasty likes this.
  8. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

This is where Jet fans excel, talk about off season, upcoming draft picks, new QV before the season even ends.

it was disappointing but honestly I am more optimistic then in previous seasons. We have a better young group. Now hopefully we’ll make some key FA pickups, couple of draft pick impacts and for god sales find a solid QB.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

Agree. A lot of inexperience on the players side and the coaching side. We’re getting there, we flashed really hard this year. Hopefully…next year will be better. However, the implosion feels bad. I think we’ll make the playoffs next year though.

10. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

This season collapse is one of the hardest to swallow as Jets fan of 50+ years.
    I have been pretty apathetic about them for the last 10 years or so. I watch the games, expect them to lose so never really too disappointed. I had no expectations going into the season but I got sucked in by the fool’s gold and really embraced and started to believe that this team was finally on the right path.
    Now it is hard to really think that is the case, this collapse was abysmal.

bmfc1 likes this.
  11. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

MW was terrible and I'm not so sure he should've started. From what I know, crack ribs do not heal that quickly. Regardless, he sucked, as did the tackling by everyone on D.

12. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Wasn't he going to get a windfall from some other team?

13. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Can't wait for us to win the draft/off season again

14. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

that's how they get you - every time - that little glimmer of hope where you think "maybe this team is starting to gel, have a chance at the playoffs" - and then "ooof" a swift kick in the nuts to bring you back down to earth

NY Jets68 and RPOZ51 like this.
  15. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Gutless team. They really showed up when they battled those other teams that were fighting for their lives as well. Lost at home and on the road as well. Just pathetic.

Cman68, IDFjet and James Hasty like this.
  16. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Well, for everyone who ever told me I am a Darksider, and how this staff and this year are different:

Well, how do you feel now?

17. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Jet OFF has royally sucked for over two decades so nothing new here. The elephant in the room is what is an over-rated DEF which gave up 200 yds rushing in a critical game and did not play particularly well the last 6 games (one turnover?). The lack of depth was evident late in the season, as they are nowhere near being a dominant playoff DEF, let alone a Championship DEF. Beating up on all of those backup QBs early padded their numbers and was obviously not a clear indication of their true ability.

A lot of work ahead to rebuild this mess, and can't really see JD and the CS doing it one season, which is probably the max time they'll get. Assuming they do get another year after this 1986 type meltdown. At least back then there was some good music and nice clubs to frequent.

Saleh was famously quoted as saying: “Like I’ve said all week … it's not about the playoffs. It's about getting off the mat...” After today's performance, the question needs to be asked, will it ever be about the playoffs with this squad? And, oh by the way, the mat is doing just fine.

Cman68, Acad23 and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  18. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

White is not the answer! He looked just as bad as Wilson and should of had at least 4 INTs. The defense was bad today and the offense was its typical awful self. I want a new PROVEN coaching staff and a new PROVEN QB. Give me Sean Payton or Jim Harbaugh and let them pick the QB to run their offense. I don't care what it costs or who has to be fired.

bicketybam likes this.
  19. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Agreed on all counts, but without a franchise quarterback in place there isn't a chance in hell those coaches are coming anywhere near this team.

Cman68 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  20. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

ooohhh look at you, still salty from Zach’s balls in your mouth all season. White will get paid well, more than we’ll be able to given we’ll be carrying the weight of Zach’s contract as well.

James Hasty likes this.