I watched a lot of film and the Jets QB situation is not complicated.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 29, 2022.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Nothing was open. This was a shit play design. Not much Zach could have done on that one to improve the outcome. You can see for yourself

https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/12/27/ny-jets-zach-wilson-grade-jacksonville-jaguars/
    "3rd & 5 – (12:18) (Shotgun) Z.Wilson sacked at JAX 19 for -8 yards (A.Cisco)"

azhar80 and The Dark Knight like this.
  2. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

Fields is ranked 20th in passer rating, and that’s after a rough start … considering it was his fourth new offense in five years, that start was understandable

He also rushed for 1,100 yards and eight touchdowns.

“Fifth lowest” … jfc

HomeoftheJets and Borat like this.
  3. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I chose “passes” bc if you take out his runs, his pff rating plummets to…. “Fifth lowest”.

Fun fact: ZWs shitty rating against Detroit was actually better than Fields shittier rating against Detroit.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

He is open more than he gets the ball, at least. I am no expert on WR play (or QB play) but Moore seemed fine in what I watched. Not near as good as Garrett Wilson though. He keeps running backwards after making catches too, which I am sure fans have noticed. Odd for a WR to do it so often. One thing I did notice is the Jets offense is set up for any WR to succeed, really. They all get open (Wilson, Moore, Davis, Berrios, Smith, Uzomah, Conklin, etc) Any QB too. Just have to have the timing right, and unfortunately Zach is out of sync right now, which hurts it. Some plays are terrible though, too. Like no one is open, no pass protection, and the QB is just screwed. It is interesting to watch.

No, that was a terrible play. Honestly, a terrible drive, with terrible play calls. Zach gets a lot of blame, and rightfully so, but sometimes LaFleur makes bad play calls and the start of the Jacksonville game definitely was bad.

If your QB is struggling, you would think you would scheme a start of the game to help him. With the great field position, I don't know what happened. Definitely set the tone for an awful night.

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  5. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

The delay safety blitz was a bad playcall coupled by a QB who can’t read defenses. Zach should have hardcounted on 3rd down to help recognize the defensive playcall better - and tell the tackle it’s a safety blitz versus double teaming the DE who faked the interior rush.

Josh Allen would have audible to a straight draw against that for 10 yards easy.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

What exactly are his talents? Seriously? You want him running? You want to just design broken plays because he’s awful at reading the most basic of covgs? I’m sorry, This is on the scouting team. Our scouting team fucked this pick up royally. JD is lucky he just had the draft of the decade this season or his seat would be boiling hot. As for Fields, you bet your ass they’d let him run, it’s what he’s great at.

papapump and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I can only speak for myself but the biggest problem I'm having is that BECAUSE the Jets are exponentially better than they have been in a decade they shouldn't have completely collapsed like a bad souffle. That's what I keep going back to and all these rationalizations I keep repeating in my head just aren't doing it for me.

I don't know, sometimes I rightfully concentrate on the O-Line and then I realize in some ways although valid it kind of papers over how bad Zach Wilson really is. Whatever the case, can we please stick to the run game the next two games? The O-Line made some big holes a few weeks ago. Maybe I just dreamt it.

azhar80 and The Dark Knight like this.
  8. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

you would have to take out the runs of every other qb to get a comparable relative pff ranking

And why are you taking out runs? The objective of the qb is to move the ball and score touchdowns

lastly, pff ratings are a joke

BrowningNagle likes this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

agreed, a 1st down is a 1st down. If it comes from the legs or the arm it doesn’t matter

10. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

I am sorry, but this is such garbage after the fact. Josh Allen year two would have ran the same play and might have fumbled like he did against the Jets. Hell, Josh this year might of just thrown another Redzone int. You have no idea what latitude they give the QB to do on any play. Like DK said, there is a lot to talk about that is the problem. This play is not as I felt it wasn’t a good play call or setup. Typical MLF, nothing goes together. This along with the screen that Zach rightfully threw away were the two plays that really set the tone for the night. Boo the crap out of the kid for plays that are not his fault. That helps. When he makes mistakes, feel free to boo, if you don’t know when those are, maybe not be so quick on the boos.

11. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

Oline can’t get a lush on running game. Some one will chime in on 8 man front, but even on 3rd and long give up plays, no push, 3rd and short, no push, BTW, box will always be stacked in this situation.

12. The Dark Knight

It was a slower collapse than a normal team. They were (7-4) after the Bears win. Then lose a close game to Minnesota. Played the #1 seed Bills pretty tough, despite White getting injured. Should have beat the Lions, but a mistake here and there cost them the game. Then the only real embarrassment of a game in all of 2022, happened to be the most recent one, on national tv, against the Jaguars. It felt like the season died that day.

Now? Mike White is back. Everything fell the way it needed to Christmas weekend, and the Jets just need to win their final 2 and have the Patriots lose once. Crazy season!

Agreed, definitely need to run more, especially against a week run defense like Seattle.

Jets OG fan and azhar80 like this.
  13. KingRoach

I used passing grades only bc apparently we have a timing based offense that relies on a QBs ability to throw accurately and make decisions quickly.

14. KingRoach

Your the type of guy who says “a mouth is a mouth” aren’t you?

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

For the young guys the trajectory is important. If you look at Fields after first 6 games, even the passer rating would be drastically better. Also, you can't really discount the ability to run. The guy is trending up in a major way. Also factor the team he has - he has no one to pass the ball to. Corey Davis or Moore would each be his #1 receiver. Same with TEs, and OLine may be even worse than ours. If we had Fields now, we are easily in play-offs, probably fighting for the divisional title and more. Certainly we would not be talking about Carr or any other QB next year.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  16. KingRoach

I’m not high on Fields and didn’t want him coming out but I’m certainly open to a “wait and see” judgement about.

Personally, If I were going to play the “hindsight” game, I would have traded with Philly (who reportedly wanted to trade up but only for Wilson) for #6, 2022 1st and J Hurts, I’d then make the same trade Philly made with Miami getting another 2022 1st, then trade back with Chicago and get their 1st in 2022. Still trade up for AVT and grab Darrisaw with the Chi pick. But hey, draft Fields would also be something that could have been done so your version of the game is just as valid.

Carr has been criticized throughout his career on his inability to throw with anticipation and hit the open receivers… of course Jets fans want him.

#76 KingRoach, Dec 31, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
  17. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

not to rub salt in our wounds but.... better sit down when you look at these stats for december. LOL, if SAM gets into the playoffs and we do not, Woody will blow a gasket because Carolina is using the same formula we used when we were wining...running, quick passing not TOs.

Good for Sam hope his success continues...

[​IMG]

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

So here's the film that perfectly represents the Mike LaFleur/Zach Wilson Experience the last couple of years, with Benny Hill as Mike LaFleur until he gets on the bike, after that he is Zach Wilson.

#78 Br4d, Dec 31, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
    The Dark Knight likes this.
  19. The Dark Knight

I wish Sam nothing but the best. That would be awesome if the Panthers can somehow win today and next week and steal the NFC South from Brady and the Bucs. Seems more likely Tampa wins today though. Always goes that way.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yea I mean why wouldn’t we root for the Panthers to win that division? Darnold was a respectable guy, it’s a nice story and it would keep Tom Brady out of the playoffs