OK, I'm done with Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, Dec 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

They didnt want Leaf... that was whitenoise

2. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

having a worse hc\gm combongiving picks for Sam doesn't make what we spent less.

3. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Borat likes this.
  4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I too was wrong about Zach as I thought he was worthy of a late first round selection just not worthy of being the 2nd overall pick. He’s looking like a Day 3 pick right now. I liked Fields more than I disliked Zach. I just hated the Zach over hype. I think we all were fooled at some level. I doubt even the biggest Zach hater anticipated this.

5. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Nope. ;)

Good to see you, Legler.

legler82 likes this.
  6. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

The idea of having Streveler as your backup next season is absolute insanity. It’s unreal that he was our best option at any point this season. Bring him in to run the option for a few plays? Sure, if you think that’s worth a roster spot, but do you really want that guy throwing the ball when it matters? He did 2 things the other night: he showed how inept Zach Wilson is and he lead the team to 0 points against one of the worst defenses in the league.

SOJAZ and JetsKickAss like this.
  7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes..I understand Failure ..I have had plenty of that in my career...but when its behind you and you are finally succeeding its a great feeling

I have posted before to what NC alluded to: Zach has ADD , perhaps untreated. It could account for the some problems getting NFL Football

8. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Mark Cannizzaro:

Jets need to start Zach Wilson rest of season to make definitive decision

WARNING: This is not going to be a popular take, not what you want for Christmas under your tree or in your stocking.

The Jets should start Zach Wilson at quarterback for the final two games of the season — even if Mike White is medically cleared to play with his cracked ribs.

The moribund 19-3 home loss to the Jaguars on Thursday night essentially eliminated the Jets from the playoffs. Even if they aren’t mathematically eliminated this weekend, their playoff chances are “farfetched,” head coach Robert Saleh conceded Friday.

That being the case, what else do the Jets have to play for other than using the final two games to help formulate a future decision on Wilson?

Finding out more about Wilson and whether the 2021 No. 2 overall draft pick truly is a franchise quarterback was, after all, one of the missions of this season for the Jets. His rookie season was uneven, to be polite, and the Jets needed to find out how much he’d progress in his second season.

Though no one on the Jets wants to admit it, the reality is that Wilson hasn’t shown tangible signs of progression from Year 1 to Year 2, and never has that been more evident than watching Thursday how far Jacksonville’s Trevor Lawrence has come in that same time period.​

This just seems crazy to me. And it actually would be to Zach's detriment. There is no way he is going to suddenly show something in the last two weeks. He is spiralling and he will only get worse. If the Jets haven't yet given up on him, the only sane thing to do is to shut him down and allow him the time to work on his game in the offseason. Personally, I can't make up my mind on it, but I think he's done and serious plans need to be made to move forward without him.

But Cannizzaro's take is insanity. All Zach could do is bury himself deeper.

SOJAZ, HomeoftheJets, cval and 6 others like this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I was pretty sure he was going to fail in a big way.

I did not anticipate that the coaching staff would rub the failure in everybody's faces like they have. That's because they are a young and inexperienced coaching staff and none of them fully appreciated how much damage a really bad QB can do in the locker room and to the fanbase.

I think when they interview Saleh in 20 years he will say that the biggest mistake of his coaching career was sending an unprepared Zach Wilson out on the field game after game even after it became clear that he was completely overwhelmed by the offense and the competitive pressures.

To put it in perspective though I didn't think any of the QB's drafted in that draft had a really good chance of being successful. I thought Lawrence was 50/50 and it went downhill from there.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  10. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I don’t know what the issue with the Jets when it comes to the QB. Some is luck and some is crap shoot. Unfortunately we been unlucky. I haven’t been mad about Darnold, Sanchez and Geno’s picks as they were worth a shot/gamble type of picks imo. Not saying I was right about Wilson but was he “worth a shot/gamble pick especially at number 2”? we said this before at number 2, this guy better be special and have unique talent, ala Josh Allen coming from Wyoming (same caliber as BYU) but had the size and mobility that was worth a gamble. I will never understand this pick but it is what it is and moving on. Hopefully the Jets will find a lucky charm in selecting a QB in Day 2 or 3.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The issue is that the Jets think all QB's should learn on the field right away. There's better than a 50% chance of failure no matter what you do with a young QB or what his pedigree is. If you rush him onto the field that success rate goes way down.

The only young QBs after Joe Willie that actually played really well for the Jets their first few seasons were Ken O'Brien and Chad Pennington and both sat for an entire season. Chad sat for 2+.

MDJets likes this.
  12. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Wow. That is some take. Does anyone think there is anything left for Zach to show? The only hope for him is a full off-season restart, a new home and a year or two learning how to play in the NFL.

SOJAZ, Borat and ukjetsfan like this.
  13. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Totally. Even today, I still hate reruns of Powerpuff Girls and My Little Pony.

#373 twown, Dec 24, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
  14. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

This is a stupid take on the situation.
    If Mike White is healthy and can play, what is more important to do: Get a definite answer in what to do with Zach or get a definitive answer on what you need to do with White.

The major downside to playing a cleared White is that he could drive up his cost and other teams wanting to sign him if he lights it up. I can’t see anyway that Zach could do anything to change anyone’s decision about his future in the next 2 games.

15. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I agree with this. He's so far off, having such a hard time seeing the field and being decisive, and so unconfident that he needs a break. If he has any chance to progress it's going to be in future years, not the last two weeks.

Plus, it's not fair to the rest of the team to play a guy who's clearly not the best one for the job

Jets79 and ukjetsfan like this.
  16. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Well, it's not a philosophy. It's misguided ambition.

The Jets see other rookie QB's excel, and they say, "Our guy will do that too! And then we can spend our surplus resources plugging gaping holes all over the field instead of wasting them on a retread QB vet!"

[​IMG]

BleedJetsGreen1981, stinkyB and Br4d like this.
  17. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I'm curious to see how he plays away from MetLife.

18. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I never wanted Wilson in the first place. Was happy to roll with Darnold at the time. However, a new GM/CS comes in, they have the right to pick their own guy under center. Their jobs depend on it, or so you would think. If you're a true fan, you root for who ever is the Jet QB.

I keep thinking back to when Eli came to the Giants. He was incredibly awful, worse than Zach. Running for his life, throwing INTs all over the place. To the Giant's credit they kept trotting him out there week after week to learn. In the offseason they fixed the horrible O-line and got him a top WR. That next season, Giants went something like 11-5 and won the division. I think there is a similar story about Bradshaw and the Steelers.

It's possible that maybe with a little more time to go through his reads Zach will "get it" too. Fix the O-line so that Zach gets more time in the pocket and he might still surprise.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  19. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Agreed. That's why I think you need to re-sign MW, draft/sign OL. Let MW start off the season, and when ready transition to Zach (if necessary). It's not completely over with him. It was obvious from his rookie performance he was a 2-3 year project – with high upside if/when he got IT.

Not sure what everyone else was seeing. I guess the big chunk flash plays fooled people.

Borat, westiedog1 and MDJets like this.
  20. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I was curious to see how Darnold played away from Metlife and Gase. But I'm not sure quite what anyone can do with a QB that is 50/50 on 5 yard screen passes, can't seem to see any crossing routes or begin to diagnose a Defense. Until he can do all that no coaching, scheme or technical fixes will be successful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.