Well if we would have just followed suit

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETFUEL1580, Dec 18, 2022.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Hook line and stinker.

Ralebird likes this.
  2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Jax had the tiebreaker anyway. It would have been nice to trade that 2nd pick though.

BacktoQueens, Acad23 and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  3. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

We were winless though before the Rams shit show.

ouchy likes this.
  4. JETFUEL1580

BTW, yeah a trade down would have been amazing. Imagine those 49ers picks? Oh what could have been.

5. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Meh. Our coaching staff would have turned Trevor Lawrence into Trevor Simeian.

Acad23, ouchy and Red Menace like this.
  6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

7. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Jets gonna Jet - never good enough - never bad enough when it matters

8. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Even if we got the number one pick, I bet many here would be clamoring, “You know, ZW has all of the it factors, better arm, the next Drew Brees, we should take him number 1”

9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This my fellow Jets fan is the key. When Urban Meyers was the HC, everyone was trashing TL. Pederson was the best thing that could have happened to TL.

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Folks, I wanted that #1 pick as much as anyone and didn't want to win the Rams game, but and we certainly didn't do ourselves any favors there as far as tanking and I was pissed at the time, but have you forgotten we won against Cleveland too? In order to get that pick we had to go 0-16, because Jags had the tie breaker for #1 due to weaker strength of schedule. So, there is no point to beat yourselves up over one game, which still wouldn't be enough to get #1 pick. It's just not the case, no matter how much people keep repeating this false narrative.

We would have to lose BOTH Rams and Cleveland games, and Cleveland ended up with with half their roster in Metlife due to Covid. Even broken clock is right twice a day we were going to win one 1 of 16. If not Rams, then decimated Browns. Jags also "lucked out" on 1 plus weaker schedule. Yeah, it would have been amazing to get that #1 pick, and we were fairly close, but not as close as people say. We were not Mann's tackle away from #1, it was way more than that, which needed to happen.

Cman68 likes this.
  11. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

It isn’t the fact we didn’t tank for number 1, it’s that we didn’t accept the trade SF offered for #2.

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

In retrospect, perhaps. But we needed a QB, and this was considered QB rich draft. You think anyone would be complaining now if we had Fields?

13. ProfJets

ProfJets Well-Known Member

It is what it is- Adam Gase was fighting (vainly) to keep his job, and the players to keep their roster spots/careers going. It’s not like they were going to lose on purpose to get the #1 pick.

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

49ers are like "Shit....if only we traded up to 1 instead of 3. Damn...what coulda been"

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  15. JETFUEL1580

But that was my entire point. It was a lost season. This team is to stupid to even tank properly. We got away with one against the Raiders and that alone should have made upper management to realize shut it down and take no more chances. I think you missed the entire point. Gase was virtually a lock yo be gone as the players had already given up on him that was a given by mid season. The Jets were winless while Jags had 1 win by this point. Generational QB sent from the heavens waiting for us and at that point knowing there is another team that is close you go and win a game in week 14? made no sense

Also, as I mentioned as well. The minute we won that game the 1 win Jags team that had the tie breaker cause of their weaker schedule benched QB Minshew for backup Mike Glennon who had barley played for no reason the following week. Gee I wonder why? they knew not fuck around at try to compete. The Browns game would have been irrelevant had this team after the Raiders miracle loss know just bench certain players and tank in ever obvious way possible. Browns were a playoff team that year, and the Jets were not that good of a team even with Covid all over the place to win if they did that. Nobody would have blamed us as I think Lawrence to New York would be very well received by the NFL.

#35 JETFUEL1580, Dec 20, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
    Jets79 likes this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Listen, we also played the weakest QB we had on the roster: Sam. Flacco outplayed him that year by a lot when Sam was hurt. Sam also had no protection and had Perriman as top receiver. Everyone was saying the only reason we got good value for Sam is because we didn't surround him with talent so there was a chance he was good. We had the shit coach too. If you look at the grand scheme of things, winning only 2 games is a great tank job, largely thanks to pathetic incompetence of Gase. This was the second worse performance in the history of this franchise. Even if we matched the worst ever performance by great Kotite, it still wouldn't be enough. The only way was to go 0-16, and it was never done in the history of this franchise.

Jags were sitting Minshew regardless - they would have been 1 Jets win away against 3d strings of Browns even if we lost to the Rams. 0-16 is what it would take, which would be the best tank job in the history of NFL only accomplished by a few. It wasn't happening, too many things would have to go right for that. And it certainly wasn't the Rams win, that's just factually incorrect, because we beat Browns 3d stringers too. 2-14 was a great tank job historically, but it was not nearly enough in this case.

Again, stop making yourself feel worse. We did just as well as Colts tanking by only winning 2 games. We had to win 0 - yes 0 games to get Lawrence. This is nearly impossible, no matter how bad you are. TL was not in the cards. Jags had roster even worse than us and the tie breaker. We hung in there, but ultimately to win 0 is tall order.

#36 Borat, Dec 20, 2022
  17. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Meh. We would've torn down Lawrence by now and turned him into a quivering pile of goo like all of the others.

18. JETFUEL1580

Well then I guess were both arguing semantics, so I guess will just agree to disagree.

I think going 0-16 for that year especially with COVID was possible. It had been done before, and when you have a Lawrence at a certain point this organization should have made it a point and started James Morgan as our QB not Sam or even Joe. I don't think in the NFL you can just back into wins especially against two playoff teams that we eventually beat if you don't really want to as a team, just my opinion. Both LA and Browns were better on paper by a mile. Upper management messed up by not benching certain guys at a point. I'll use any game after the Raider game as my prime example. Shut it down. Start James Morgan from FIU , bench Gore you see where I'm getting at. If you're telling me we would have still won games after that which is what you are saying then I would have had to see it to believe it. Also, the Jags didn't shut down Minshew until the Jets loss and they knew they had the tie breaker. That's a fact, not hyperbole. You saying they would have done it anyway cause they were only 1 game from the Jets is not a fact. We don't know that. Again agree to disagree bro.

I'll just leave it at that.

#38 JETFUEL1580, Dec 20, 2022
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Ironically the COVID worked against us - Browns came into town with third string scrubs and Baker (who also eventually became 3d stringer). Unless you are suggesting Johnsons should have periodically spread COVID in the locker rooms - then we would play with our third stringers at the end of the year and lost all games. That's certainly going all out for that 0-16 record :)

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  20. JETFUEL1580

Well not spread COVID but I did say start James Morgan in my prior post. I think he was our 3rd stringer that year. But yes shut it down and start every bum on our team which isn't saying much. We agree on that.