No way Zach should play another game for us

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Dec 18, 2022.

1. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Once again, the "should have" argument is bullshit. The only thing that matters is what actually happens. Being in games is vastly different than winning them. More games are lost in this league than won. In each of those games the Jets lost them with big costly mistakes and thus should not have won.

cval likes this.
  2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I like reading the Posts where people remind each other>>>Season 2 Zach HAS to step up

Thus far he is 5-3 vs Mike White 1-2 ...White losing to playoff bound Bills team and the Vikings who just had the biggest comeback in NFL history. They will make playoffs too

Of course Zachs 2nd year leap hasn't happened and now, of course the chant is "he better show something in year 3"

A number 2 pick getting a Bushell of Muligans again and again??

This called engaging in some heavy rationalization and living in denial

IIMeanDeanII and SOJAZ like this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Can you show me anyone in the past 20 years (sans Alex Smith) who was the worst QB in the league that went on to find long term success?

4. Johnny "Lam" Jones

Johnny "Lam" Jones Active Member

this

Lam

5. Johnny "Lam" Jones

Johnny "Lam" Jones Active Member

we have breece Hall and the Jets win for fun.

Lam

Acad23 likes this.
  6. Jets-N-Terps

I agree. By far the best thing for this team is if he becomes the guy but, I don't think the pre season reps is what I holding him back.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  7. Jets-N-Terps

Jesus christ was he open. How the fuck does he not see that?

Nyjets4eva and SOJAZ like this.
  8. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

He's literally looking right at him, it makes no sense. He looks off to EM right before GW breaks. Zach throws with zero anticipation of where guys are going to be, it's pathetic and that's something you can't teach. EM isn't even a bad read b/c that DB has his turned the other way but wait a few seconds and let EM just run by him and hit him down the sideline with a shot. Like that lob throw is WTF ARE YOU DOING?!

9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I have more issue with the throw than the decision here.

Safety/CB (39) looks like he closes his hips inside and starts to go with GW on his dig. ZW just can't lollypop this throw, needs to stick this to the wheel route over the shallow zone's (25) head.

The ball should've been out of his hands at the point where the picture is. At this point a good pass can be completed to either GW or Elijah IMO.

10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

EDIT: Unrelated to the comments in the tweet/video but every time I see that play before the final FG attempt, I just can't help but think, "Why didn't Elijah go down immediately???"

I know he's coming back to the ball and it's very difficult to stop your momentum but does he have to retreat 6 yards there? Can't help but feel like Greg the Leg would've hit the 52 yarder if Elijah had gone down at the 35. Oh well, maybe he would've missed anyway.

#390 KY Jets Fan, Dec 20, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
  11. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

This has been my thing (and probably all of us actually) the whole way. You see him make some laser beam throw few can make and then the next 3 passes are wild miss clankers that anybody should be able to make.

Never seen anything quite like it and don't even know what to think at this point. I guess its easy to say "the Jets should develop him" or spend time with him or whatever but wtf..... are we supposed to believe they aren't trying? lol! I assume they go to work every day and try everything they can think of. What a mess.

I do think there is something to the theory that he struggles to make reads and decisions and when he's not sure and/or gets in a last minute rush mechanics fall apart. A lot of his best throws are "no think" quick drop and just rip it to a slanting WR. Somebody posted months back that he lacks the Joe Burrow ability to be completely cool under pressure and I'm afraid that might just be a thing that never really changes.

12. Jets-N-Terps

YES!!! He goes back trying to get out of bounds when they still have a time out. Just another example of a mistake that cost the Jets that game.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Eh, to be fair, Steve Young is a huge fanboy because of the BYU connection. His take about developing him wasn’t completely untrue, but I’m not sure what everyone thinks LaFleur and company are doing? They’re not locking Wilson in a closet during training camp and practice.

For every mistake a team makes that loses, the team that wins can also tally up their mistakes and make the case that they should’ve won by more margin. It’s not like the Lions didn’t have their share of fuckups too.

14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I was looking at Kirk Cousins before when trying to find a comparison to what Mike White could be, and Kirk actually played in a few games in his second year, while even older than Zach and played even worse. He then improved a lot in his 3d year and more in the 4th. Other guys also didn't play their first or second year and just learned, including some great ones. If they played - they probably would not have played well, which is part of the reason why they sat. If you look at the guy like Joe Burrow, he was a low level player in College until he was 23 years old. Then it clocked. He comes into NFL and looks promising at 24, gets hurt, then plays great at 25. Well, Zach is just 23 now.

In retrospect, Zach should have sat for a year or two or played in limited snaps as a sub. He wasn't ready to play. Jump from BYU was too big. I recall even Steve Young took a while to get started, though I am not sure if he was the worst or not, and it was different times, he was older, but he also came from the same school as Zach. It's not unreasonable to think it will take him half a year more to find his way in NFL than it did guys like Lawrence or Fields, who played for big time schools. I just don't think the book is closed on him yet. Maybe he will fail, heck it is more likely than not, but I just don't think it is a foregone conclusion yet. I feel it would be a huge mistake to move off of Zach this offseason for the Jets. Let him battle it out, heck, even if he is #2 in 3d year to start 2023, he may come in at some point and take over. It's just too early to give up.

15. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

@ everyone talking about the running game as to why we lost....you do realize that when you have a QB that teams don't have to respect they stack the defense in the box right? Find it odd that we ran the ball well with Mike White? Ever ask yourself why?

Zach is a bad QB. Everyone knows it. Including DC's. There comes a point of just accepting it and moving on. We are at that point.

Nyjets4eva, SOJAZ and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  16. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

the "fuckups" zach has a on a weekly basis are the ones that are not obvious. the lack of making reads. the lack of hitting wide open plays. the missed opportunities with zach are as long as a CVS receipt.

Nyjets4eva, SOJAZ and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  17. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

The big unanswered question is whether Wilson's deficiencies can be corrected, and I'm not confident they can. That's a depressing thought.

Think about it. Every year, we see highly rated QBs drafted in the first round who will never live up to their potential. It's not just a Jets problem. It happens in every organization that doesn't have a long-term FQB. Because the scouts and GMs are wrong so often about QBs, you have to believe there's some unknowable element that determines whether or not a guy will become a FQB. If it was knowable, the scouts and GMs would have already figured it out.

The unknowable element has to be the ability to instantaneously process a great deal of information under extreme pressure. After the snap, a QB has two to three seconds to see what his receivers are doing and what the various defenders are doing. He has to make a instantaneous decision and get a catchable ball to the right receiver. Let's not forget that he has to do all this while watching out for rushers ready to take his head off.

Maybe the ability to process information this quickly can't be taught. It's either something a guy has or he doesn't have. The FQBs all have it. The guys who don't have it become busts, journeymen starters or back-ups.

Scouts can't know whether a guy has this ability by watching him in college because the pro game is so much faster and more complex than the college game. That's especially true for a guy like Wilson who didn't play in a first-tier college program. A college QB may be able to process information at college speed, but after using a high draft pick on him, you learn that he just can't do it at NFL speed.

That's what worries me about Wilson. Not seeing open receivers, the happy feet and the indecisiveness may mean he lacks the God-given ability to process information at warp speed. Sure, he has superior physical skills, but don't all the QBs drafted high in the first round?

#397 Since1969, Dec 20, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
    Nyjets4eva, Pepsiguy5, SOJAZ and 3 others like this.
  18. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Oh for sure, that's why I didn't really comment on anything Steve said in the clip. Just wanted to post it for discussion.

I agree with both of you tbh. Steve's comment about Zach's upside is exactly why I'm of the mindset that it's too early to bail on the kid right now but I disagree with their assertion that the Jets CS has done nothing to develop the him. At a certain point, it's on ZW to improve. There's a reason why when MW comes in, he throws for 300+ yards on a consistent basis and hits all these layups that MLF schemes up. Do they want us to believe that the Jets CS has worked to develop MW but not ZW for some reason?

I'm fully aware that the odds are against Zach right now based on historical precedence but I still think something SY said in the clip is true. If we want to compete with the Josh Allen's, Patrick Mahomes', etc of the world, you need a guy that can do what ZW does. The issue is that while ZW can do some great things on occasion, he still struggles with his short-intermediate accuracy and reading coverages. I think his accuracy issues can be somewhat resolved with an offseason of fully resetting his footwork and getting his bottom half and top half on the same page but I'm also not a QB guru so maybe I'm wrong on that. The mental part also can be learned but it's going to take some time. MW is a perfect example of this. I highly doubt MW would've looked as good as he does currently in his 2nd year.

I just want to watch the Jets in the playoffs again. If this means Zach sits when/if MW becomes fully healthy this season, then he sits. I'm fine with that, but I just can't throw in the towel on ZW yet. That clock is ticking though. ZW has a career-defining offseason coming up, hopefully he fixes what needs to be fixed.

19. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Zach Wilson is a Baker Mayfield clone. Can he make a few plays? Sure. But the eyes don’t lie, watching him is a roller coaster.

As of now, he still is late to read a defense, and makes very costly turnovers. His only saving grace should be his legs and I am surprised we don’t try and run him 10x a game with the lack of running game our OL has.

Maybe Zach is here next year, maybe he’s not, but his footwork and accuracy on the short throws is bad. It’s really mental for him. Jacksonville will be a big test for him, he played poorly vs Detroit at 50% completion but glad to see him try to stay in the pocket a touch more.

No idea how you could scout this kid and say hed be an nfl QB, has stats in line with Jamarcus Russell at this point in his career (seriously)

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

White was hurt. You want Flacco to start? The guy played for 4 snaps in the last game and cost us 6 points, looking like he was forced to go in there. He is done. If you ask me, we need to elevate Streveler over him at this point. And yes, Detroit did stack the box, they have a bad passing defense, and White would have put more points. That's why White is a starter and Zach is a back-up. With that said, Zach gave us a chance. If special teams don't fuck up majorly again, we win. If Saleh calls a timeout and/or Moore goes down at 36, we likely tie and then go to OT. If defense doesn't allow 50+ yards TD on 4th and inches, like they haven't all year - we win. Zach wasn't the only one at fault for the loss, and right now he is a back-up level. For that level I thought he did enough to win this game.