Mike White not cleared… Zach will start the Lions game

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 16, 2022.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Zach doesn't need to start to improve. Honestly, I think he improved more from watching Mike White in the last 3 games than play throughout the season, where it felt like he regressed. So, when Mike recovers, I think Mike should start. Until then, let's roll with Zach and get him some reps. He could then work on the issues during the offseason. What choice do we really have? Flacco was terrible when he had to come in for Mike against Buffalo and it just looked like he was done as NFL player.

Right now Mike is clear #1. Zach is clear #2, particularly after last game where he gave the team the chance to win, in spite of some costly mistakes. Lions are VERY lucky to walk away with the W. Normally this punt return for a TD does not happen, and the defense does not give up 50 yard TD on 4th and 1. If not for this incredible luck, we win this game 17-10. Heck even at the end, Zach got us to 36 yard line and a 1st down. Yet Saleh screwed up on a timeout, taking 20 seconds away and Moore lost 6 yards after the catch. Zach gave a chance for 3 points to tie even at the end. Unlike other games, MiLF took training wheels off, and Zach while didn't do great, did OK. He can build on that against Jags, and then watch Mike for the last two, before trying to improve in the offseason and compete for starting opportunity in 2023.

2. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

That’s a fine plan but we are in do or die mode these last 3 games. Just feel like we can play to Zach’s strengths a little better while he’s forced in to action with Mike White out injured

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We are not a 3 win team with Fields. We are probably SB contenders.

HomeoftheJets and ouchy like this.
  4. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

who said don't criticize?

SAying its easy to resolve our o woes is easy is not the same thing. Tell me how we transform our current ol line into an allnpro unit... We're all ears.

5. Losmeister

dude,,,àgain with the SB. Smfh

6. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I already said use more roll outs, Mis-directions, moving of the pocket, etc.

It’s not going to fix our issues but it might help. Clear to most that Zach AND the Oline are struggling on standard pocket passes so try to find ways to do less of it. It’s all I was saying

ColoradoContrails and Losmeister like this.
  7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

That's fair but they've had the same amount of time at their current positions. MLF has only been a play-caller since he became OC with the Jets and there's a huge difference between being a passing game coordinator/WR coach and an OC.

papapump and Cman68 like this.
  8. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

Chicago traded their best defensive players and another is out for the season

if we had their defense, we’d be lucky to have three wins

9. Losmeister

we know what that's like....like last year

10. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I think it’s hilarious that you and others are still holding onto this idea that White will be back. Mike White’s career as a Jet is over barring an injury to Zach over these last 3 games. Mike White is worlds better than Zach, I think we all agree on that. But if Zach wins this week, he’s getting the start the following week. If he loses, he’s getting the start the following week. Mike White has proven he’s at least competent, and that will earn him a good deal this off-season. FA QB’s consist of the likes of Mayfield, Darnold, Dalton, Bridgewater…. Garroppolo and Daniel Jones will be White’s competition for starting jobs. The Jets won’t be giving him a contract because if they do, they’re committed to making him the starter and publicly admitting they failed with Zach. That’s not happening. Instead they’re going to sign one of the shittier aforementioned QB’s to “compete” with Zach. Start studying up on 2024 QB prospects in the draft.

11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think the only way Zach plays in the last two games is if Mike is still hurt. Which is possible, but I really hope with 3 weeks since the hit, he will get cleared. Let's say he plays exactly like he did with Detroit, but defense doesn't allow a TD or say special teams didn't stink, and we win 17 - 10. That wouldn't have been terrible, but still wasn't a good performance. Too many misses. Detroit stacked the box, and Zach did just enough where we had a chance, but not much more. Basically he played like a back-up QB given a start. Which at this point of his career, in his second year, where he is at. Next year hopefully it is a different story, but that's where he is today.

I think coaches know on the road against teams over 500 with good offenses, we need to do more, and Mike can do more. Let's get that win on Thursday, a similar performance as Detroit should be enough without another ST fuck up. Then let's hope White heals up fast.

12. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

At this stage of his career, Zach could not score enough points to beat Seattle
    Or Miami. We may need 25-30 for a must win game for both teams week 18.

13. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I truly respect you and your opinion, but I think you’re dead wrong. Healthy or not I don’t see any way they go back to MW. There’s long term implications to this. We’re not signing MW to be our starter next year. Not unless we’re bold enough to trade Zach away, which I don’t think any regime has ever done in only two years (not the regime that drafted the QB so high anyway). To bench ZW after a win would be a bold declaration that they have no faith in him. Rightfully have no faith, but you have to suspend reality to think the FO that placed their reputations and jobs on the line to draft Zach are going to openly declare they have no faith left in him. That’s not how things work in the NFL. NFL coaches and GM’s are notoriously stubborn. And if you think we’re any different may I remind you that Joe Flacco was the #2 over an inactive White for most of the season. This regime is betting on Zach’s perceived ceiling over White’s floor. And reality is we’re proabbaly all correct. Zach is truly awful, and MW is not going to be some world beating gem we found under a rock. Chances are White’s ceiling is similar to Matt Schaub. We’re going to be drafting a guy in 2024. We’ll see if it’s Douglas doing to choosing again

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, but MLF has been exposed to the NFL a lot longer than Zach.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

He put up over 40 against Miami earlier this year, and I don't think Seattle is as good as Miami. I'm not saying he'll do that again - they're missing major pieces of the OL and skill positions from that earlier meeting, but hopefully the defense will continue to do its job, and maybe discover how to actually get some takeaways for points.

Wut? likes this.
  16. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

I hear that, but breece had 100 yards and a touchdown and MC1 cleaned up for two. Again, not saying he can’t, but the run game is way worse now.

17. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

Or Jacksonville, they lit it up vs a good de in Dallas, Trevor Lawrence is on fire, we will end the season 7-10 If Zack is starting.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He didn't put up 40 on the Fins. The Jets scored 21 points in the 4th quarter on the strength of 10 rushes including a drive that started on the Fin 5 yard line because their 7th round pick fumbled to start a drive after a penalty had backed them up. 6 of the rushes came consecutively on that drive and the next for 2 scores. Earlier the Jets scored a TD on 9 consecutive rushes with no passes thrown. The TD before that one was the Breece Hall outlet that he took 79 yards and a MC 1 yard rush for the capper.

Yes the Jets played very well against the Fins but Zach was in a Mark Sanchez role for virtually the entire game.

stinkyB likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

Yes, I agree - he's not likely to put up 40 against them this time, but it's also not a given that he he can't put up 25+ points, especially if they get the running game going to at least an acceptable level, and if MLF adjusts what he's asking Zach to do - i.e. call for more plays that use his legs and throwing on the run.

Borat and bicketybam like this.
  20. Losmeister

for ANY Jet QB, our damned Ol needs to do better so we can RUN the ball a little

ColoradoContrails likes this.