Is the Jets Defense Overrated?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Dec 19, 2022.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Please hear me out before flaming me on this one, It is possible for something to be very good and still be overrated.

This team defense is being touted as "Elite" by fans and media. And while the corners are being touted as the best pair in the NFL, and the defense line, for most games, gains a significant number of sacks, this defense is tied for twentieth in the NFL in Takeaways:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/takeaways-per-game

How is an "Elite' label justified when they fail to deliver the biggest game-changing plays a defense can provide?

#1 HackettSuxTNG, Dec 19, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I dunno what words you wanna use. It’s a really good defense, but it’s slightly overrated when fans call it championship-calibre. We don’t have an elite edge rusher or linebacker, which elite all time defenses generally have.

We have a great defensive tackle and two really good corners.

3. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Yea they suck at takeaways. Hopefully they improve in that regard but if they keep holding the other team to around 16-17 points a game I think they’ll be ok.

With a league average offense this team would probably have 10 wins right now. I’ve no doubt his off-season will mostly be about bolstering the offense.

Ghost50 and dmw like this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Not over-rated at all but there's always room for improvement.

5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

They're a very good defense but they're not elite.

Elite D's force TOs at a pretty solid rate. We haven't forced one since garbage time vs Chicago.

Feels like we're 1-2 pieces away from being elite though. Namely a true game-wrecking EDGE and a ball-hawking FS.

6. heartpumpsgreen

heartpumpsgreen Active Member

Absolutely NOT overrated. Maybe underrated. This defense is ELITE

Yesterday, without DPY candidate Quinnen, a total game wrecker, they held THE HOTTEST offense in the league to basically 10 points. And last minute without their safety who has been solid and played ever snap (Joyner)

JD has built a great defense big CREDIT to the scouting dept for brining in low cost guys who FIT: Quincy W, Kwon, Solomon, etc etc.

They have to keep the pipeline flowing like Baltimore has done for two decades now. Keep brining in fresh talent and proper veteran pieces. If this defense had a legit edge rusher they'd be insane.

They have a window they need to take advantage of now bc Sauce is probably the best cover corner in the NFL they will probably get that for 1 more year before he demands a massive contract. A playmaking ball hawk Safety would be nice and they have to keep drafting and developing CBs no matter how many good ones they think they have.

#6 heartpumpsgreen, Dec 19, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
  7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Mosely is becoming a liability though..

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

He is the tru ying/yang of the defense.... vocal leader for all the young guys, and plays lights out most of the game, then will make the "Oh F*CK!" play at horrible moments...

Cman68 and RochesterJet like this.
  9. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

They are a good defense but still need to get better. Getting turnovers would go a long way to making them elite. The play at the end yesterday was a blown coverage. Nobody should be that wide open in a critical moment in the game. I also go back to the Vikings and Bills games. Against the Vikes the Jets closed to within 20-15 but the Vikes on the next series score a TD and retake the momentum. Then against the Bills the Jets score on their first drive in the second half but the Bills answer right away to go up by seven again. Need stops at those moments in the game.

10. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

The D is very good, but the O isn't doing them any favors.

TwoHeadedMonster and papapump like this.
  11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

When you take Q out of the defense there is going to be a dropoff. I do not think the D is overrated but there are a few players on the D that are overrated.

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  12. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Watching the replay of the dagger play yesterday, Mosley was clearly out of position-he fell for the fake. But what concerns me is the lack of hustle from him on the play. He looked like he was jogging trying to catch the TE.
    Fact is, if he busted ass he likely could have tackled him around the 10 yard line.
    Not sue if that changes the outcome...but it was something I noticed watching the replay all over and over again this morning.

ouchy likes this.
  13. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Yes... overrated. They are a good Defense. But they have issues against the run, & putting pressure on the QB, when Q isn't on the field. Also, they're inconsistent on takeaways, & atrocious in recovering loose balls. Lastly, they have holes that can be exploited, at Safety, Nickel, & Linebacker... in the middle of the field. Their two CBs, & Q have been the difference this season (honorable mention to Huff)... without those 3 players, the D is decent, but far from elite.

14. burf

burf Well-Known Member

The TE was Quincy's guy, IIRC, & confirmed by Bart Scott & a few others.

jilozzo and NY Jets68 like this.
  15. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

they're very good. not ELITE yet.

TO's/TD's/FF make a D elite

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I agree with the general sentiment…we are a very good defense and have two elite corners and an elite DT.

we have solid edge rushers but we saw that without QW in the middle creating havoc, we couldn’t get home…we absolutely need a true difference maker at edge…a Bosa/Mack/Watt type guy to create a problem for opposing OLs. Without QW, there was no one the Lions had to scheme or double consistently so our rush was neutralized.

I agree also that to be truly elite, you need turnovers….we need an Ed Reed type guy who is good for multiple picks per year and especially in crucial moments

our stats are good and we held the Lions to low points, but there is also the “when you do it” factor…a truly elite defense would not have given up a TD on that last drive…they would have stopped the lions and given us the ball back to seal a win.

I get that they played well yesterday, but the fact remains that we had the lead with 4 minutes left and our vaunted D couldn’t hold it.

that’s the difference between a very good defense like ours and a truly elite shutdown defense

Each unit could use an upgrade…the DL needs a true stud edge, the LB could use a stud player like a Luke Kuechly type guy, and the backfield can use a ball hawking safety…if we had those three things (or maybe even just two of those), we’d be elite.

right now we are very good, but still prone to breakdowns when we need stops…

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Definitely haven’t been the same the last 4-5 weeks

Cman68 likes this.
  18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

if someone is trying to tell u they are elite then yes that's overrated.....

they ARE very good and the stats provide evidence for that.

they have the right personnel in key positions (DT, CB, ILB) though i would like to see a "von miller like" presence out there at some point in the next 2-3 years.

that would be icing on the cake.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’d say they’re properly rated, Q is looking under rated though

Cman68, Br4d and The Dark Knight like this.
  20. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

The last four losses Jets have fallen by 7, 5, 8 and 3 points respectively (margin of less than 6 pts per loss). And they only surrendered what, only 6 TDs, in those 4 games? Even with a mediocre offense, 2 or 3 wins is very possible with that type of defense.

Sure, the Jets may get lucky with Zach and fix the offense, but it's hard to see how much better the DEF can play. A lot of teams with worse defenses have won Super Bowls. The difference being, those teams pretty much knew what they were doing on the other side of the ball.

Burning through 2 minutes with all 3 time outs remaining and not getting the team into decent FG range against the Lions nightmare of a secondary pretty much says it all. Hell, even a TD in that situation is a real possibility with a team who knows how to move the ball in the clutch. Yeah, but let's blame this loss on the Jets DEF not being elite, whatever the hell that means.