I am sorry but Saleh is not a good coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by george sakell, Dec 11, 2022.

1. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

this team is now 2-5 since Avt and Breece hall went down, these were the 2 players holding the offense together, Saleh is trash and is exposed, the talent just made him look good for a bit, he made so many stupid decisions this year that he doesn't derserve to be coach of this team but stupid Woody will have him and Mlf back next season, unfortunately in the long run Joe douglas will go down with all of them and be the scapegoat and we will lose a very good gm. Sorry but 11-20 proves he is a terrible coach. One of the worst in Jets history.

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Just listened to Saleh's explanation about not calling a time out on that last drive.

Yikes... that's some serious coach babble....

“I’ll look back at it. With three timeouts, feel like anything in bounds, obviously you can be aggressive. Just trying to save as many timeouts as I can,” Saleh told reporters after the game. “I can probably look back it and say we could’ve used one, for sure. But at the same time, when you have three timeouts, time’s not an issue whether you use one there or not. But yeah, I could always, in hindsight, for me, call a timeout to settle the guys down. But as far as from a time standpoint, you still have plenty of time with three timeouts.”

3. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

Yeah real smart with 40 seconds left to save 3 timeouts, what a coaching genious. Everyone in the stadium was screaming call a time out. Both him and Zack are braindead.

4. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

I’ve taken a measured approach with Saleh thus far, mostly because I thought he was really terrible last year and was doing better this year. But the clock management today for me was so egregiously bad that I just can’t see him having the wherewithal to coach a SB run.

5. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Reporter: Were you surprised a time out was not called earlier on last drive?
    Zach: To be honest with you, so much is going on, I don't know when time outs are coming, when they're not. My job out there is we're rolling until someone tells me the clock is stopped.

Houston, we gotta problem here.

If you cannot train this kid to manage the clock within the last two minutes and provide him with the authority to call time outs (especially when all three remain), then he will fail more than succeed during the two minute drill. You think guys like Montana, Brady, Bradshaw and the Mannings had to ask their daddy's permission to call a time out?

The first responsibility of a QB in the final two minutes (and for the entirety of the game) is how to manage the clock. Granted, Zach may never reach the level of the aforementioned players, but he will never even come close when operating under such a short leash. If the Jets CS cannot successfully delegate this important responsibility to Zach, then don't expect too many two minute miracles from this offensive crew.

No secret that Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) is a thing for the zoomer generation, however, this is no excuse for being completely dismissive about the clock management issue. This one is completely on the coaching staff for not properly training Zach to manage the two minute drill and take the bull by the horns at the most important time of the game.

Bottom line is the kid is going to fuck up, because that's what kids do. If they don't give Zach enough slack to fuck up all the way, then he will never properly learn all the nuisances involved in playing the position at a successful level. Or maybe due to ADD, the kid is not easily coachable. The only thing the fans see is a lack of growth and development and can only assume the worst. These are fixable mistakes which need to be minimized, if not fully eradicated, by next season.

Nyjets4eva and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’ve defended his performance all day despite telling the entire board that he would suck. But that’s a pretty gross answer and it further proves the point that they’re trying to coach a 14 year old with a massive arm.

7. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

All of our defensive-minded head coaches were horrible clock managers, Herman Edwards, Eric Mangini, REX Ryan and Todd Bowles. Saleh is just part of that group.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  8. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

The Jets organization as a whole does NOT know how to develop QBs.

ColoradoContrails and Br4d like this.
  9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Someone explain to Salah you only have plenty of time with 40 seconds and three timeouts if you actually use the mother fucking timeouts to stop the mother fucking clock.

10. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Seems like we should of went with an offensive minded HC but like SOJ we go back to the good personality and D side

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's a problem and it's not just Wilson or Saleh who was unprepared to deal with managing the clock. When the 22 yard pass to Garrett Wilson resulted in a first down at the 48 the only Jet on the field who looked like he was in a hurry up offense was Garrett Wilson who began to hurry the ball to the hash marks to line up for the next play. I was yelling for a spike at the time even though they still had all three timeouts but nobody was heading to the line. A spike should take no more than seven or eight seconds off the clock, the Jets took eighteen before the long incompletion inside the five finally stopped the clock with 25 seconds left.

Where's LaFleur? Where's the time management guy? Is he even still with the team?

ColoradoContrails and Br4d like this.
  12. twown

twown Well-Known Member

...thing to do is call time out. hard stop.

This is all on Saleh, sad to say. Yes, of course we're love for Zach to understand the importance of time outs, but it's possible Zach doesn't even have the authority to call time outs. In fact, if I'm an NFL coach, I want all the time out power for myself, and I instruct all my players to act as if they're in hurry-up, and leave the time outs to me.

There is no excuse for not calling time out at the 48 right there. None. 100% on Saleh.

ColoradoContrails, NYJetsO12 and Br4d like this.
  13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The important thing is to stop the clock, how you do it is arguable, but if you let an extra second disappear, you're doing it wrong. And if you lose a game because you ran out of time and still have a timeout showing, you're doing it wrong. Why were the players just milling around as the clock ticked away? Who's in charge?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Yes, stop the clock. Yes, an extra second should not be wasted. Yes, yes, yes. Why were the players milling around? Because they're dumb players, and it's likely they've been told not to worry about time outs. They didn't hustle to the line, and that's on them, but that's secondary. The coaches are in charge and must call time out.

#174 twown, Dec 19, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
    ColoradoContrails and Ralebird like this.
  15. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Ya they've done well there, Joe Walton, Bruce Coslet, Adam Gase all Hof Legends, at some point you just have to look at the big picture, the Jets are just a piss pour excuse for a NFL franchise, and the numbers don't tell a different story.

But if you think Saleh is getting canned think again

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There was no reason not to call a timeout at 50 seconds or so. It takes 10 seconds to run a play you've already called reliably once the previous play is whistled dead. The Jets with 3 timeouts at that point had maybe 6 or 7 plays left and then a kick. This assuming they were really on the ball. They actually ran 4 more plays after that and then the FG attempt. They took their first time out with 19 seconds on the clock! They ran two plays after that and then stopped the clock for the FGA. They took a timeout into the locker room.

This is like coaching 101: never take a timeout into the locker room in a game where you are driving for the win and don't get there. There is literally zero reason to assume the 3rd timeout is better in your pocket than used to help that drive.

Saleh, BTW, really doesn't think well on the sidelines during a game. He's a cheerleader. This season goes so differently if he just makes a couple of moves earlier in the season when ZW was flatout losing games for the Jets but for some reason Saleh was paralyzed when he needed to be acting.

17. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

He screwed up big time. Should have called a timeout. Every fan knew it. Everybody knew it except Saleh.

18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

The non use of timeouts was terrible, Saleh’s explanation even worse.

I still like him as a HC but this loss is on him as much as anyone but this was truly a team loss with lots of blame to go around.

19. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

My God it was terrible in real time but watching the final sequence again, it's so egregiously bad.

No TO after the long 3rd and 19 first down completion with 1:14 left. This one is debatable. I would have called one here, but an argument can be made against it.

Then the unforgivable and inarguable one is no TO after the 2nd 10 first down pass to mid field with 49 seconds left - WITH ALL THREE TIMEOUTS REMAINING. A timeout needs to be called here. First down at mid field, need to regroup and set up the next set of plays.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This is really starting to stink like the Mark Sanchez color coded arm band. Red is for stop.