The Mike White Era Begins

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Acad23, Nov 23, 2022.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Is it impossible to separate QB play and W-L?

Did you see the graphic CBS showed on Sunday comparing White/Wilson/Flacco's numbers per game over their Jets careers? White's completion % is a solid 9% higher than Wilson's (which is massive, 9% is the same as the difference between the most accurate and 32nd most accurate passer in the NFL) and White throws for like 170 more yards per game on average.

Their career TD/INT ratios are about the same. White takes sacks at 1/3 the rate Zach does (on 3% of dropbacks vs. 9% for Wilson). Wilson has the 2nd worst EPA/play at this point in his career of any QB drafted in the last 4 years.

It's clear that White is a lot better of a QB than Wilson right now. This offense looks like an NFL offense with White, it didn't with Wilson. We could never get going when Wilson was starting, it was 3 and out over and over. We move the ball so much more effectively with White because he can complete the easy stuff and let our talented WRs and RBs do the heavy lifting.

Borat, SOJAZ and Nyjets4eva like this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The 1-2 record is because LaFleur has stopped running the ball as a priority - which he was doing when ZW was out there.

Jets should have same gameplan just with a much more efficient QB throwing the ball when they need too.

This is not rocket science. You win the game by running the ball and you pass to score. Solid NFL gameplan for 60+ years now.

SOJAZ, Nyjets4eva and joe like this.
  3. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Same people who use record to say MW sucks because he’s 1-2 will use it to say ZW should still be the QB because he beat Steelers, packers and Buffalo. Watching the tape and game we know ZW only legit game he showed us anything and brought home a win was Pittsburgh. Other than that his record is because of Great Defense not from
    his last rank QB play. Packers game was ST and D I think he passed for 110 yards w no Tds some of y’all are delusional

SOJAZ and PJ4Ever like this.
  4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Gadget plays, empty backfield sets, too many times featuring Braxton Berrios mere feet of. the end zone (read: Minnesota) ....smh.... pound the rock..

[​IMG].

Nyjets4eva, Br4d and SOJAZ like this.
  5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Maybe he’s seeing in practice that the running game just isn’t clicking and he doesn’t want to automatically get in poor down and distance scenarios? Just a guess.

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, Jets fans are confusing me with this logic. If Zach played so bad and the Jets won, and Mike played so great and the Jets lost, then who is to blame? The true answer is Mike is just as much to blame as any Jet the last 2 weeks. On the other side, Zach did make key plays for the Jets to win his 5 starts. Not like he was just standing around. His big issue was the 2 Patriots losses. Key mistakes by him did cost the team.

I like seeing the Mike White support, but it is a little odd, coming from the same fans who trashed Zach every week.

ColoradoContrails and bicketybam like this.
  7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

White’s been good with limited the turnovers. He’s 32nd in turnover worthy throws amongst eligible QBs.

I would like to see more running in the first half. They need to ditch the east west runs and just get downhill.

We’re on the same page there.

8. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Jus
    Problem is they’ve fallen behind in games

9. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

The Jets lost two road games against 10-win teams by a single score each with MW.

Their defense didn't create a turnover in either game.

It really isn't hard to figure out.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Most, if not all, of what you like about Mike White comes from experience, even if that experience wasn't acquired in regular games. Also, there is a component of maturity involved. MW is in his 5th year as a pro and is 27 years old. That makes a big difference. It used to be that QBs sat for a few years with rare exception, and learned and gained maturity. Zach Wilson is 23 and in his second year. A lot of his struggles are rooted in that fact.

Of course until you see a player actually put it together and show it on the field you can't say whether he'll succeed, and therefore whether he's worth holding onto while he gains that experience/maturity. But if Zach can acquire that, he will become the QB you're looking for with all of those traits. And those last three? You can't really teach or learn them, so that's why the Jets are more likely than not to hold onto Zach and try to get that great combination of skills that he can possess if things work out.

Borat, Nyjets4eva and The Dark Knight like this.
  11. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Who said Mike White sucks? I must have missed that.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. The Dark Knight

The Jets defense did not create a turnover in the second Patriots game either. That would have clearly helped to get the win in a 3-3 game. I don't get your point there.

The main point is Mike White did not do enough to win either game. Certainly not enough to crown him a great QB or the franchise QB of the Jets. Again, I like Mike White. I see the same stuff I see when evaluating Zach though, but fans (and players) seem to give White a break, but not the #2 overall pick. Just odd to me.

ColoradoContrails and bicketybam like this.
  13. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

We're seeing different things then.

I'm not anointing MW anything yet. But he most assuredly gives this team a better chance to win.

And I think MW did enough to win in Minn. BB dropped the game winner.

You're bringing up the Patriots game? 9/22 for 77 yards. C'mon. No one who watched that game could honestly think that ZW was the best choice for this team at QB.

Borat, SOJAZ, REVISion and 2 others like this.
  14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

What stuck out to me in the recent posts isn't the tired QB debate.

IMO Bam is as good a RB as Hall, and one of the best signings JD has done. He doesn't have that extra burst like Hall, but he has more downhill power while still having decent speed. He can make a big play, and thrive in short yardage situations. Hall got to play when our o-line was healthier, and honestly some of the holes he got were massive. Bam has done as much with a lot less help.

Hall cost 2 high seconds, and Bam was a UDFA. When you find a player as talented as Bam on the street for peanuts, that's how you build a championship team. Its akin to striking gold in bottom of the draft.

Lon Chaney, SOJAZ and The Dark Knight like this.
  15. The Dark Knight

Yep. Exactly. You don't have to tell me! :D

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. The Dark Knight

Just saying the Patriots game could have been won by the defense, as the Vikings and Bills games could have been too. Zach was clearly terrible that game.

And yeah, I was not talking about you specifically, I have just seen many posts and tweets talking about how great Mike White is.

I don't know who gives the team the best chance to win, but it seems the players and staff believe it is Mike White. That is what matters. I don't judge Zach on his Patriots game performance. We all know he can play better.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Wilson has had 20 starts, that's plenty of experience. I think the issue is not learning anything from that experience. He was nearly identical in 2022 than 2021, no strides made

Its pretty sad when the guy with 6 starts is better than the guy with 20 because of "experience"

SOJAZ and REVISion like this.
  18. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

It’s sad we’re in a place as a country where if you’re not for one thing, you must be for the other. That’s what’s happening here with our QBs.

Personally, I think we should stick with White for the rest of the season. Is he our Franchise? That remains to be seen, but I think he gives us the best shot to making the playoffs. I was a big booster of Zach, but I feel like he might could benefit from holding a clipboard for a spell. Which is probably what should’ve happened from the beginning. It didn’t…for reasons.

We definitely should be giving White a chance here.

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You continue to see what you want to see. In no universe is 4+ years experience as a pro - live game action or not - and 4 years of age the same or less than less than 2 years total experience as a pro. That you can't imagine how Zach could improve with more time under his belt is a failure of your imagination not his ability.

Borat likes this.
  20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

On point about our last game. If we didn't commit mistakes and scored 8 more points, that doesn't mean we would have won the game. We'd have had to stop Allen in the last two minutes, and if so, likely again overtime. The game wasn't as close as some are saying.

SOJAZ and bicketybam like this.