The Mike White Era Begins

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Acad23, Nov 23, 2022.

1. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Listen, we're going to be in every game here on out with Mike White at the helm. It's not even a question. If our defense doesn't give up 20 points in the 1st half, we beat the Vikings easily. What made it tough was the defense playing poorly in 1H, our slot receivers not catching or toe-tapping, and MLF overuse of Berrios in the redzone. Mike White was slightly off, but not terribly off - MLF just called way too many pass plays, because we got down early.

SOJAZ, CotcheryFan and Borat like this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree. I would add this, the issue of too many passes was pervise even with Zach at the helm particularly on the NE game under bad conditions. This team is built to use the run and compliment it with the pass to keep them honest. That unfortunately is not the way MLF see it, irrespective of QB under center. That to me is our achilles heel. We are not the Bills, or GB or the Chiefs or the Bengals. We need to stick to our strong run identity. If we don't establish a strong feared running game we are playing into the hand of the better defenses.

3. BrooklynJetsFan

Also MLF is feeding the wrong personnel. Conklin had a terrible game. Braxton can't break tackles. Sometimes in these tight games you have to get the ball to your most athletic talent on the field. And for that game it was Wilson, Knight, Moore, Davis and Mims. Conklin and Brax should not get more looks or touches than the last 3.

Hopefully he fixes the personnel grouping.

LAJet and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

We beat these guys earlier. The blueprint is there: effective running game and mistake free QB play. White should be able to equal Zach's performance.

Fiftynine likes this.
  5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Is Ruckert hurt? Was the plan to have him be red shirted this year? Wish he got some in game experience this year.

6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Ruckert has played 27 snaps this year on offense, including 2 against Chicago. He has been targeted 1 time, and has 1 drop. He also is part of the punt and FG squads, but is currently inactive.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think he was a luxury pick, they had already addressed the position and are taking their time bringing him along.

Although I could be wrong and he could just suck.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Ruckert was passed on the depth chart by Yeboah

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets passed the ball 11 out of the first 15 plays. MLF just wanted to show off a QB who actually stayed in the pocket.

If he does that again he’s going to stick a pin in the Jets playoff chances.

White needs run support to look his best. The dump-dump-shot downfield he is capable of will not beat a good defense by itself.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  10. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Mike White slightly off enough that he was a dropped Berrios touchdown away from leading a double digit comeback on the road while throwing for almost 400 yards.

Borat likes this.
  11. NYJFOREVER

There's nothing wrong with using the pass game as an extension of the run game. Throwing a 1 or 2 yard swing pass is just the same as a zone run is for the sake of game flow.

Just can't be throwing in 60x a game, which I can guarantee you wasn't the intention.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  12. BrooklynJetsFan

Once MLF went pass heavy early – I knew it was going to be one of those days. THAT GUY.

Br4d and Nyjets4eva like this.
  13. NYJFOREVER

Tight ends traditionally take a longer time to transition from CFB to the NFL. Ruckert did have a foot injury going into the draft and coming into camp. I think the Jets are fairly content red shirting him this year considering they have Conklin and Uzomah, granted, Conklin fucking sucks.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  14. bicketybam

What happens if the dump-dump pass is sat upon and we are in constant 3rd and long? That's a recipe for disaster.

#494 bicketybam, Dec 8, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  15. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

White can at least make a "dump-dump" pass. Zach would throw it at the receiver or backs feet, or 3 yards in front of them.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This is true, but either the OL couldn't open the holes, or the RBs couldn't find them, or a combination of both. Maybe if they had pounding away the running game might've got going, but they were in too big a hole to rely on that. The key to relying on the run is for the "D" to shut down the other team and keep the game close. And facing Allen will make that hard to do. That said, if Allen's arm is still hurting him, that helps a lot.

LAJet likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

All of that is predicated on the "D" keeping it close, otherwise we'll be seeing Air LaFleur return.

18. bicketybam

I'm not sure that answers the question.

19. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

D can still keep it close and Air Lafluer will throw it on 3rd and short like a dumb ass

20. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

I know, but I just wanted to point out that Zach couldn't make those same throws ;-)

A little trolling