Jets Could Have Major Offseason QB Dilemma

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by heartpumpsgreen, Dec 4, 2022.

1. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

There's no worries about Zach's salary. He's under the rookie pay scale. The Jets whatever they want with Zach. They could cut him for almost no dead money......

2. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Dude, just stop. That statement is 100% incorrect.

SOJAZ likes this.
  3. KingRoach

Let’s all remember who owns all the blame for our current QB situation: the unnamed driver on Dougherty Road that summer afternoon; the driver of the vehicle that struck cyclist Greg Knapp.

LAJet likes this.
  4. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Not sure what to make of this take.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

In the Columbo version, the driver was Zach's Mom's bestie.

6. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

We all do know that the trading deadline has passed, right?

KingRoach likes this.
  7. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

btw, watched the "all mike white throws" from Vikes game...

seems toz have trouble throwing to outside the numbers. is it me?
    (strong down the middle mostly)

8. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

Is what I see, good behind LOS, good up to 15 yards up between hashes/numbers. Struggles outside numbers and dep middle. Can’t throw on the run. It might be fine for now, but this is where I don’t see him being the guy.

9. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

My question implied a trade in the upcoming offseason. I apologize for not making that clear.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I still feel that in the long run Zach is the guy, but he hasn't yet proven that. I'm not going to rehash the reasons why, or try to defend his shortcomings because frankly I'm tired of beating that dead horse and there are too many here who want to resurrect it and ride it ad nauseum. But I don't think Mike White is the long term answer either, even though I'd love him to be another "Kurt Warner" Cinderella story and prove me wrong. I just don't think it will happen.

So what should the Jets do? Well I don't think they should draft a QB unless some kind of miracle - like a Brett Favre falling to the late 1st or 2nd round, and even then, the Jets would probably screw that "can't miss" QB up. So that leaves going after a veteran either in FA or via trade.

In FA I could see them signing Brady to a 1-2 year deal. Even if he didn't "mentor" Zach, he'd be a hell of a tutor anyway. For a trade - assuming they could work one without crippling the team (and I doubt JD would ever do that) - Aaron Rodgers would be my preference. But here's a wildcard: Andrew Luck. According to this article in the NY Post:

https://nypost.com/2022/12/07/andrew-luck-opens-up-about-colts-retirement-biggest-regret/

Luck regrets having retired so soon. That said, a big part of that decision was him wanting to spend more time with his family. Coming to NY would probably not be very conducive to that if that's still a priority for him. And his rights are still probably owned by the Colts who would demand some pretty high compensation for him even if he hasn't thrown a football in 3 years. And finally, is he fully healthy and does he want to play? All major questions for sure, but if they could be answered in the Jets favor, he would certainly be the "Answer" at QB for them. And that would almost certainly mean goodbye to the Zach Wilson Experiment - maybe he becomes the compensation to the Colts.

Anyway, food for thought during this season of gifts.

11. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I do. I was playing along and more towards the off-season, where I wouldn’t mind trading him to get something. Given how far behind he is on being just basic competent, I’d take my chances on a 3rd or 4th round depth in the secondary or OL having a better positive impact than anything Zach will give.

12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

which is a more reasonable take than the post you referenced....

abyzmul likes this.
  13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We will see more of him over the next few games to see how he does with more games under his belt.

How much is White vs how much is Lefluer is another question.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. KingRoach

Not sure what the moms bestie would have to gain… MW would probably be a more likely suspect.

15. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Agreed, there is no reason to ever go back to Zach. He was a huge whiff on draft day and waste of a high pick. As I stated in another post, he will be on the jets next year because the cap hit on his foolish contract is prohibitive. Zach will take the majority of snaps in preseason games because if he gets hurt, so what? He is not the answer in the short term or long term. The jets will likely announce Zach as the backup QB at the start of next year--but if the number 1 QB goes down, they will scramble quickly to replace Zach. Douglas/Saleh are saying all the right things, but the other players on the team do NOT want Zach as their QB, because he stinks and accepts no blame. The jets want to keep guys like Garrett Wilson and Quinnen Williams happy, not Zach anymore.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Not difficult to ascertain where you stand on politics

17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

If the jets REALLY think Zach Wilson should start again for the jets, this year or next, they better be ready for a players' revolt. Has a team ever had a more unpopular teammate who thinks he deserves the starting job?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'm not complicated.

19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

You know I thought for a moment ZW would be in a QB competion in next years TC

But if the players won't give him a second chance ..then Saleh can't abandon the Team for a high draft pick

Too bad ..Zach had some talent but you all know the saying: "your attitude is always more important than the facts"

He fucked it up for himself ...and I am not buying the "fix" theory that the GM and CS have to play him because of JetBlue and Woody are friends

If that happens I know I am pretty much done as a Fan ...and I am sure the whole fan base would revolt

Most of the radio show hosts I hear on Mad Dog Radio are already impressed with White

tomdeb likes this.
  20. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

I don’t know, everytime he has time to set his feet, he throws dimes pretty much anywhere on the field.
    He’s hit a lot of really nice throws to the outside imo… hit the TE in each game, hit Wilson, Davis, and Moore (who failed to keep foot in)…

I’m not seeing a huge deficiency. The only times he has short hopped those throws are under duress or when he has had to throw on the run.

The Jets are asking him to make throws to all parts of the field… it’s one of the reasons I feel strongly he can be THE guy vs a limited backup.

jilozzo likes this.