MLF

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JackBower, Oct 23, 2022.

1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

When you get the 1v1, you take It. It happened to be on 3rd down. Again, not a low percentage throw, we can just agree to disagree though. I am still completely okay with that play call, In that moment.

2. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Ugh, if it's a veteran group, maybe......, it doesn't matter, we disagree. Cheers!

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’m with you. I don’t like those sort of plays. But most NFL teams have them in the play book and they’re beautiful when they work. I prefer QB play action where they know they can run no matter how immobile they are.

RevisIsland18 and Savatage like this.
  4. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this whole MLF 'debate'. I come from a place of... it's the players who have to execute the plays. So, logically, if a group of players have a problem executing a play, maybe try a different play? So, basically, my problem with MLF is that he's so married to the imaginary 'genius' he believes he is, he fails to understand basic offensive football. The offense needs to focus on the basic sh*t. <---- period! Once they can execute a basic, do the simple stuff offense, THEN get cutesy.
    As a simple example... James Robinson was active Sunday. When MLF's offense was failing in the redzone, why not try something else, like using different players? Get Robinson involved in the game, so he's ready for those goalline rushes. That's what he's made to do... get those tough yards. To me, MLF is, at best, an assistant to an NFL Offensive Coordinator. He can design a play. <---- period! He fails at the rest of his OC's responsibilities.

5. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

agreed and something K.I.S.S is the best solution. when you have 2 shots from 1 to get into the endzone, run the ball at least once!

burf likes this.
  6. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Exactly, and the problem that fans have seeing the reality of simplicity, like in politics, is a media that hasn't clue about the field they're writing/'punditing' about. All the media wants is access to the leaders of that field, in which case they just kiss a lot of butt, and/or they want controversy. I go crazy watching this offense, because whoever is QB doesn't matter. The Jets beat the Bills, because for once, MLF stuck with simple in the 4th qtr. They ran the ball, & gave the players the opportunity to force their wills on the Bills... & wore them out down the stretch. And when they needed a 1st down, there was that Zach pass to Mims. There was no cute, just simple football. The players loved it, the OL excelled, & they controlled the game. It's game 13 & MLF has still failed to establish a running game. One thing... it might be useful to run JR inside, & Bam outside... & stick with that.
    They don't need cute, they need TDs.

Br4d and RevisIsland18 like this.
  7. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

MLF could take a lesson from tonight's final Bucs drive. Attack vertically!

Jojo likes this.
  8. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Again, this team will not beat a good D, with MLF as OC. His MO is never sticking with the run. For whatever reason, he likes Carter. I'd have deactivated Carter today, & instead activated JR, who did well running up the middle in their win. And where was Ty Johnson? But the biggest duh, is why Berrios displaces Elijah so often.
    In weather like today, again, he quit the run. The 1st drive of the 2nd half, was a map of how to attack the Bills.
    Enough with Berrios, another player MLF likes. It seems winning, & talent doesn't drive MLF... it's if he likes a guy... & of course the scheme. Always with the RPO bs, with a QB that doesn't run. Makes no sense. In a playoff run I want to see the best players on the field. I want to see Moore, not Berrios. I'd rather see JR to compliment Bam, than Carter. I go crazy thinking about what a seasoned OC would do, with the play-making talent on this team.

Jojo, Nyjets4eva and fggrimes like this.
  9. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

We out here paying chess while MLF is playing 3D chess with cutscenes when you knock a piece off.

Fiftynine and Nyjets4eva like this.
  10. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

It's almost as if MLF is so reluctant to run the ball, he does it begrudgingly. Jury is still out if he is capable of scripting an effective balanced game.

Jojo likes this.
  11. 50ShadesOfGreen

50ShadesOfGreen Well-Known Member

This guy can't draw up any good passing redzone plays this whole season. It's really frustrating.

Jojo likes this.
  12. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Been saying it for weeks he has costed us more games than the actual players and play. Absolute joke that’s all

Jojo and 50ShadesOfGreen like this.
  13. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

The Oline was atrocious all day run blocking. Most of the runs Bam gained yards on, he broke tackles right at the line or avoided guys in the backfield. You cant fault him for throwing more today. Buffs D line is a total mismatch for the Jets.

14. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Agreed, but I'm still seeing empty backfield on 3rd and short, giving up on drives after a setback and using guys like Carter in ways that they've never been successful. He's not learning.

Fiftynine, Br4d, fggrimes and 3 others like this.
  15. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Always blame the OC

16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

To be fair...

There's failure all around.

17. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

That's the worst part, is seeing the same play types that have failed over and over be called again lol. And the love for certain players and schemes

Br4d and burf like this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

This game was winnable but I think we forget they have a significantly better roster. We say if we did X, Y and Z we would’ve won - the other team has three or four of those plays too.

The frustration with LaFleur is that his play designs are great. He almost needs someone else to call the plays and it might workout well.

stinkyB likes this.
  19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Overall I think he's done a good job, but I was pretty disappointed today. The empty backfield sets at stupid times may as well been a neon sign over the offensive backfield

20. Jonathan_Vilma

You can do the empty backfield thing in certain situations and it’s fine. But you shouldn’t be doing it on early downs and you can’t do it if you’re not going to let the QB throw it down field.

You’re right, it telegraphs it too much and our offensive line isn’t good enough.