Redzone O: this gets solved in practice this week

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrooklynJetsFan, Dec 4, 2022.

1. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Ya--that throw to Elijah and another earlier demonstrated MW needs to work on his passing while on the move.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  2. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

they need to practice how to punch the ball in the endzone from the 1 yard line.

ouchy and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

1. Strange declaration. I disagree that anyone else was the correct read. The play, from the views I've seen, your assessment Is wrong. Even Mike White and Berrios mentioned that everything was covered up and If Berrios didn't alter his route, there wouldn't have been a chance at all. So.... Again. Strange. I haven't seen the All-22 on the play yet, but, I'm willing to bet your assessment Is In fact wrong.

EDIT: I just watched It again. No chance Conklin was the right read In that moment. Smith was bracketed and engaged on Conklin as MW was throwing an anticipatory throw on time to, Berrios. Berrios just dropped It, It was a higher percentage throw to Berrios. I don't hate the throw at all. Equally. I don't hate the decision to throw that there.

2. You are looking to make an end zone throw here with no time outs, 12 seconds on the clock. Sure, EM Is the easier completion. Sure, EM "MIGHT" have got In. However, there was a very strong chance he doesn't as well In that spot. It would've been close, If he Is stopped on the top of his route, that's game anyway. No timeouts, not enough time to spike It If they were to get the first there. I don't hate It. It was a desperate throw, In a desperate moment. At least he threw It at the EZ target, Instead of making some boneheaded play that we've seen someone like ZW make, where he gives us no chance at all In that moment. So, ultimately, I disagree with this one as well.

The MLF hate Is something else. I don't get It. I digress though.

I will say, I think It's a combination as far as the RDZ issues go. I agree with you though, I think with more experience, more time to focus on some of the weaknesses that have come up, It should iron Itself out. I also think that the Vikings played really, really good football In the RDZ. They have been, so It wasn't super surprising, but, unfortunate we couldn't find that little extra to get the win. It was still a great game and a lot of positives for me to walk away from.

I'm excited to see how this offense looks next week.

#23 IIMeanDeanII, Dec 5, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I dont want to see Berrios on the field in the red zone

Other than that I'm not gonna kill LaFleur, that's how Minnesota has played all year. Their D stiffens up in the red zone

5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Play I referenced here.

Tough spot as we don't have any TOs left so if he gets tackled in bounds, the game is likely over but I think he could've gotten a few yards and then gotten out of bounds on this play.

Ralebird, Borat and dawinner127 like this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

No way, White is slow. the guy chasing him would've dove and caught him and the game woulda been over. An incomplete pass stopping the clock there is a much better scenario

NY Jets68 and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Disagree with you. If he put his head down and went diagonally to the sideline he would have gained something and got OOB.

At :02 into :03 of the clip he flattens how he is running and the defender gets the pursuit angle on him again which makes it look closer than it was IMO

8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

It's hard to say. Like I mentioned, we haven't really seen MW scramble enough to know for sure. Maybe you're right, but I feel like if he committed to scramble as soon as he left the pocket, he could've picked up 4-5 yards and made it a much more manageable 4th down on the next play.

I don't think MW is the level of athlete Zach is but I don't think he's Tom Brady back there either.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yesterday also exposed the fact that we need a big physical receiver. Corey Davis was supposed to fill that void but he just doesn’t catch contested balls at all.

10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

My brother would not stop going off about this yesterday!! Throw in the fact that he catches everything with his body as well. The lack of ability to catch contested balls between Davis and Conklin is absolutely ridiculous.

azhar80 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

A lot of arguments can be made that this catch or that catch would’ve been very hard to complete but that’s what good receivers do and teams try to have at least one of those dudes on the roster.

There really isn’t anyone available in free agency next year so it’ll have to be a draft pick. We also need to add a safety.

All Gas No Shake and KY Jets Fan like this.
  12. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Win or lose, big ups to the coaching staff for not having to make the fans suffer through an entire season of watching a confused Zach consistently stare into the abyss. Don't know if Zach is done and dusted with the Jets, but he should certainly not be high on the team's list of priorities moving forward. Looking more and more like the guy was nothing more than some elaborate marketing scam foisted onto the Jet faithful.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  13. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

MLF isn
    Once Conklin clears he’s open over the top. look at it again. MW just has to be patient. But it’s all good high pressure situation.

azhar80 likes this.
  14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Idk if they wanna go down the Day 2 path at WR again but there are some guys that could fit this bill in the draft coming up this year.

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yes, this one is on Mike. If he runs, I don't think he gets a first down with the run, but he could have a gained a big chunk and gotten out of bounds, making next 4th down throw a bit easier. However, I feel his decision to through to Moore was the right one. Moore is open. He completes it, we have a 1st down on 8 yards like with 16 secs left. We can get 4 more attempts here. He had to make that throw, and it was there for him. He was afraid to leave Moore in and led him too much outside and just missed it. The throw was there to be had, it wasn't easy, but Mike could have pulled it off and given us 4 more chances from a manageable spot.

16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

As I recall, we had Zach Wilson at the controls that day we beat them..lol

So...it could be that MW is as competent a QB as Wilson if not more so

If that is the case we are no better or worse off...perhaps for the better imo

Let's see who has the better learning curve for improving his game..MW with 6 starts or ZW with 20..heh

#36 NYJetsO12, Dec 5, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
    KY Jets Fan likes this.
  17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'm not sure White could outrun Flacco in a foot race. Scrambling is not in his toolkit.

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You got me there. That's why my comparison to White is Kirk Cousins, very similar in more ways than one. Though even Cousins did have that one 11 yard run for big 1st down.

https://ras.football/ras-compare/?&p1=16715&p2=10075&pos=

19. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I think White will be a guy that will have a hard time making off script plays. That's not an issue when he's behind a solid line. But you can see his first inclination when pressured is to check it down almost immediately. Honestly I have no problem with that until the offense really needs a play. We saw a lot of 3rd and longs get immediately checked down to a 4 yard pass. That won't fly long term.

azhar80 likes this.
  20. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

I agree! There were a few times I was screaming at the TV for him to just run, especially down the stretch. The play where he threw to elijah moore and missed him on the sideline, he could have run for 8 yards minimum and gotten out of bounds. It is one thing you don't get with white. Not only is he not all that fast, he doesn't even look to run.

Jets OG fan and IDFjet like this.