Why aren’t refs called out?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RevisIsland18, Dec 4, 2022.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I also don’t get the angle that the announcers don’t call out the refs? They don’t say that referees a piece of shit for that trash call, but they do say initially whether they agree or disagree with the call.

Some of y’all need to watch more than just Jets games because you’re solely watching from a happy or angry fan perspective. Watch games where you have zero rooting interesting and there’s literally no issue. The refs are good/bad pretty evenly.

Ralebird and Dierking like this.
  2. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Literally this whole conversation is about NFL officiating as a whole so I have no idea what you're getting at. Same announcers are better at giving their opinion on a call for sure. This crew today definitely not one of them.

The point is they are very bad more often than even average on a game by game basis for the entire NFL. There's a lot of people who don't watch other games because the officiating is so bad, and there's others who makes excuses for it or say we should just deal with it.

What I don't hear? A group of people saying NFL officiating is good. You even have that in the NBA

3. Jonathan_Vilma

They’re not good. But you’re literally pulling your hair out over how bad they are like the games are fixed. They’re not good, but they’re also not that bad.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I know what they are talking about because I see examples of it in most of the games I watch, Jets or otherwise. There will be an obvious hold or interference or whatever and you can sometimes even hear the analyst pause for a second before they brush on past the replay. It's kind of blatant to me in some respects, but I have been noticing it for years on a smaller scale.

I don't really have any theories or reasons why it would be happening that would make it sound feasible, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

I’m not defending the refs or the announcers but I think it’s realistic to say they could throw a flag every time and criticize a flag or non-flag every play.

When we move to eye in the sky within the next 5 years, the games going to be fucking atrocious because everything’s going to be a penalty.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

They won't institute anything like that without first corrupting the tools used to measure.

7. JackBower

Nobody said fixed. This is my problem with the people who defend, even at a quasi level, NFL officiating.

Nobody said fixed. Many don't say it's just their team. This fixation doesn't help your argument like it wouldn't help someones who was actually saying the games are rigged.

They are so bad that they determine enough games in the NFL that it probably effects who makes the bottom portion of the playoffs. It's that bad currently.

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Bingo.

9. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

10. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

I'd say that the odds were about even that Minny could drive and get a gw fg

11. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Observation #1: I've noticed that when I watch a Jets game, I always see 4-5 calls/non-calls where the Refs screw us.

Observation #2: I've noticed that when I watch other games, the Refs tend to screw each team 2-3 times per game.

I try to remember that Observation #2 is probably the reality of the situation, and Observation #1 is probably my own bias. Helps keep me sane.

azhar80, HomeoftheJets and Jetaho like this.
  12. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

All I ask is that the officials to be consistent in their calls. It’s kinda like a strike zone in baseball. As long as it’s consistent, the players adjust.
    Too often I see a player play a certain way all game to be called for a penalty late in the game or for one team to get away with something yet their opponent gets called for it constantly.
    I’ll be more forgiving of a blown call if the referees have been steady throughout the game. Sadly, too often, they are not.

13. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Don't know who was worse yesterday, the officials or the broadcasting crew? Someone who can determine the result of a game by throwing (or not throwing) a penalty flag is certainly a big deal. Obviously, this is how the NFL wants it and wouldn't have it any other way.

If the NFL was serious about solving the officiating problem (they're not, because it gives the league and their countless shills an automatic out whenever the fans start to wisen up to their shenanigans), they would limit DEF Pass Interference to 15 yards to start with. Allowing officials to call 50 yard game changing penalties which cannot be reviewed and overturned is truly asinine, unless there is another agenda at play here.

In addition, since the NFL is essentially an entertainment monopoly (as ruled by the courts), they are permitted to script and officiate the game in any way they wish without exposing themselves to any civil or legal liability. Hard to believe a league which has no problem with teams using unfair advantages to win championships would have a problem with refs unfairly deciding outcomes. All part of the show, so best to sit back and enjoy.

14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That was a PI. Still I think Davis could have caught it even with defender on him.

azhar80 and RevisIsland18 like this.
  15. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

It is anybody's guess why the networks' insiders/experts/announcers are not permitted to provide constructive and insightful criticism about neither the officials, nor the league. The league security argument is a tried and tested excuse. However, when it comes to players and their performance/lifestyle, it is open season for the league and its merry band of experts. They are quick to judge, condemn and convict players in the court of popular opinion with no evidence, especially when polarizing societal issues are at play.

This is obviously an important enough issue for the league to put a far and overreaching muzzle on their paid puppets. Like many human characteristics, one's perceived credibility and image is usually not organic and is usually synthetically manufactured by controlling the narrative. As an example, before the draft the media had Jet fans buy into Zach being anything more than a JV benchwarmer.

If one pays particular attention to what is said, or in this case, not said, the agenda does begin reveal itself. Speculating about the reasoning behind the agenda does not put money in one's pocket, rendering such a mental exercise a complete waste of time.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

When the refs went on strike though the announcers had no issues blatantly criticizing the replacement refs... they went over the top in their criticism of those guys

--
    officiating has been bad in the NFL for too long. I dont think the games are rigged but I dont think the NFL is in any hurry to fix their officiating problem so they deserve all the criticism they get.

Baseball umps get something great like 97% of ball/strike calls correct and they are still working on measures to correct that. NFL refs get way more calls wrong and they dont do anything about it for years

azhar80, abyzmul and JackBower like this.
  17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We can blame the refs or Berrios. But we lost it ourselves. If anything the decision to go for it on 4th and 2 in vikings territory inside the 2 minute warning was a big part of the loss. We gifted them an easy 3 points which made us have to score a TD to win at the end, instead of kicking the winning FG. A lot of little things all added up to our loss.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

BrowningNagle likes this.
  19. JackBower

The shirt is awesome... But I never say the Jets are targets for the refs. I think the NFL is the worst officiated sport in the world and you can find over a dozen games a week that have so many bad calls they determine a game. They don't really seem to care either, to a point where it's obvious they tell people like announcers to not complain.

I've stopped watching the NFL pretty much entirely other than the Jets. If it's on somewhere I am at, that's out of my control.

Basketball can have and bad games, but they are 2 hours. Football is 4 hours. And while sometimes the officiating is almost on a cadence, this team gets calls then this team gets calls... It very rarely determines a game.

#59 JackBower, Dec 6, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
    NY Jets68 likes this.
  20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Wrong. The league has taken numerous steps to referee the game better and more fairly. They could do more but it would slow the game down.

Football is not particularly easy to referee. You've got 22 players all looking to gain an edge at the snap of the ball.