Jets Could Have Major Offseason QB Dilemma

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by heartpumpsgreen, Dec 4, 2022.

1. heartpumpsgreen

heartpumpsgreen Active Member

White wasn't great today but when it mattered he almost pulled out the W. That 4th down throw to Davis one of the best throws I've seen all year. He missed Garrett on the last play back of end zone open and the miss for the homerun earlier definitely hurt.

But here's the thing: if White keeps throwing for 300 yards, and shows arm talent that ppl didn't expect from him like today, and somehow gets the Jets into the playoffs, the Jets are going to have a major dilemma.

MW is an UFA this Spring. The more he plays well the more his price goes up. Just something to keep an eye on. We are tied to Zachs #2 pick salary for 3 more years. Ideally, if MW continues to progress these last 5 games and maybe playoffs, they bring back MW on a 1 yr deal let them battle it out in training camp, and if MW wins great, ZW could continue to develop as the project he was, maybe ZW comes back better and ready to roll. Problem is, some QB hungry team out there is going to throw a lot of money and a multi year deal at White if he continues to ball out. Could the Jets consider franchising him? A few weeks to go, but something JD needs to start mentally preparing for. If MW is the answer and he goes somewhere else to be a pro bowl QB it would be gut wrenching.

2. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

There is no drama, Zack is done in New York, he already proved he is bad for the locker room, not a leader, and can't mentally handle playing in New York, he will be traded. Now if Mike White succeeds the last 5 games and plays like a top 15 Qb we need to sign him long term, if he bombs we bring in Carr or someone of his level. Zack is done in New York, he is the outcast on this team, no one likes him at this point. Saleh can spin this all he wants but the fact of the matters is Zack will never start as the Jets Qb again, not because of his talent but because of one stupid post game interview, he lost respect of the guys on the team. And if he ever starts again so will the coach. He is like John Gruden, or those reporters who say something racist or biased, one stupid comment and bam your out no second chances.

tomdeb likes this.
  3. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

If Mike White plays as he has been and carries this team to the playoffs and shows ability there is no question they will resign him and they will figure out offseason plan with Zach after that

4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I wouldn't call it drama but a good problem to have. Mike is playing his heart out. If he carries this team to the playoffs and show promise Jets will sign him long term one way or another and keep Zach on the team to see if he ever will figure out the mental part of the game. If Mike falters next year and Zach shows enough promise they will probably do a QB swap to see what Zach can do.

I think a big dilemma will be if Mike shows mixed signals(as is expected, the guy is only made his 6th or 7th start today) what will Jets do? Will they spend the money of Mike or will they go for Carr or Garrapolo in case his injury today won't sideline him next year.

Poeman, Nyjets4eva and KY Jets Fan like this.
  5. heartpumpsgreen

I don't know If big QB money starting next year was in the Jets' plans. What if someone offers White stupid money?

I don't think they should quit on Zach. He was a project and should have never been thrown onto the field. Ideal scenerio is MW gets a prove it year while ZW develops. I think, again ... let's see these last 5 weeks, but the Jets problem is that someone will offer MW a lot more than a prove it deal.

Borat, azhar80 and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  6. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Honestly I don't think there's much of one. Barring a historic rise in White, the jets will bring in a veteran who has starting experience and either it'll be a QB battle or that vet will be the starter as soon as they sign.

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  7. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

If he was a project, he shouldn't have been a #2 pick.

White has shown consistently both this year and last year to be a better overall QB than Wilson.

8. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I don't think there is one. We're blown away by White but he's not anything special we're just decades behind in QB play :D

The real controversy, if any, is Zach is the QB with a winning record this year. If they lose next week (none of us expected to ever sweep the bills this year) I could see some bringing that up

9. mute

mute Well-Known Member

10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

White was making some big boy throws. It’s okay to potentially think this guy is at least a starter.
    White won’t command much but you can pay him 2/15 and then have him and Wilson for the next few years.

Pepsiguy5 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  11. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

The Jets would be extremely foolish not to retain White for at least another few years.

IDFjet likes this.
  12. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

I don’t see it. White has played against the two worst pass defenses in the nfl. Checked down three or four times with a 3 yd pass on 3rd and 8 and didn’t get first down. Is not a run threat and needs great anticipation for deep sideline throws. Zach and White both threw over 50 times in a game this year. Both losses, both over 350 yds, both multiple picks. I will take cousins stats today or Zach’s at Buffalo. We will see the oline is not that good, Zach had some runs against buffalo. They will not pay him big money and no one else will either. Like it or not, it will be Zach and a mid tier veteran competing next year for job.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. twown

twown Well-Known Member

https://sports.yahoo.com/jets-loss-...ong-term-qb-isnt-on-the-roster-234517952.html

"New York’s 27-22 loss to the Minnesota Vikingsconfirmed one thing that everyone probably knew going into this season: Mike White likely won’t be the long-term answer for the Jets at quarterback."

"This is a team that has all the pieces in place to win now and sustain it for the next few years at minimum. No need to waste precious games figuring out if Zach Wilson is that guy — he’s clearly not if White is a significant upgrade over him."

14. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Yeah, no. This game did not confirm anything regarding Mike White, at least in a negative way.

15. heartpumpsgreen

I just saw a clip of all of MWs throws today on YouTube completions and incompletions.... while everyone is saying he played just okay today .... he made some ELITE throws into tight windows today, with both power and touch. He also had about 6-7passes on receivers hands that they did not come down with, including his first INT. The rest of the QB needy teams will take notice. Honestly after watching that, he played much better than I thought. A few misses need to be worked on.

Watch this. Really impressive.

If he keeps putting out film like this, he is going to be a hot commodity this off-season nothing Jets can do about it, they can't hide him anymore

Pepsiguy5, SOJAZ, AtlantaJet and 5 others like this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I will say that TGG needs to not fall into the trap of overrating White because he's better than what we've had in the last decade. If down the stretch he's genuinely good by NFL starter standards, then we can go with him next season. But if he's only good by Jets standards, then we need to find a new QB in the offseason.

JetFanInNE and Wahoo like this.
  17. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

You obviously did not watch the game, 1st pick bounced of Corey Davis while Corey davis was being held and should of obviously been a penalty, the throw was elite and on the money, how is that Mark Whites fault? The 2nd interception was the last play of the game on 4 and 10 and was a desperation heave, many quarterbacks including Mahomes have done the same and gottn intercepted. In my eyes he had 0 real interceptions today. Mike White played lights out today, stop hating. Your acting like its so easy to get a Nfl Elite quartberack. If Mike White can be top 20 Qb for the Jets we will be alright.

18. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

And he'll continue to grow. He's not a finished product. Back to back 300 yd games. This guy can really sling it.

Pepsiguy5, Cman68, Borat and 2 others like this.
  19. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Brown got beat like a drum on the last play of the game. If he had 1 second longer he either has GW in the far corner or EM on the crosser for the LB. That isn't on MW.

In regards to the salary problem you are concerned about. The cap is a myth, who cares.

Borat, heartpumpsgreen and Losmeister like this.
  20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The politics of Zach Wilson and the economics of MW's free agency complicates things. Not only is Zach a #2 overall DP, he's JD's first high profile pick. Not only that, Zach's uncle runs Jet Blue and is pals with the owner. MLF and Calabrese factor in as they both think they can mold Zach into a viable NFL QB and really can't be seen to have failed at that mission considering how much the Organization has put into the Zach Wilson Project.

Mike White is a better QB but I don't think that's gonna matter long term. He has no connection to this CS, GM or Ownership. If someone comes along with a starting job and a bag full of upfront money? Mike White would be a idiot not to take the money and run. He has to know if Zach shows even the tiniest hint of being able to run the offense, Mike White is back on the bench. Takes a big ego to be QB and usually that ego can't go back to being just another guy in the QB room because he's such a nice guy. Mike isn't getting any younger so, why stay here knowing no matter how well he plays, Zach eventually will be the "FQB" even if he isn't even close to that? The fix is in..

Only a person with the mental acuity of a Herschel Walker would hang around and I have a feeling Mike White is a lot smarter than that. My money is on this being the closing act of the Mike White Show here. Hope the young man takes us to the PO's for the 1st time since 2015. That would be enough to keep your job on most teams but that's not how the Jets do things.

As it is? so be it.

#20 Cman68, Dec 5, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
    Wahoo likes this.