Redzone O: this gets solved in practice this week

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrooklynJetsFan, Dec 4, 2022.

1. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Our redzone offense was terrible, but honestly this gets solved in practice over the next 1-2 weeks. As Mike White gets more reps and time with MLF & co, they will sort out these miscues in the redzone.

#1 - Braxton drop play, actually Conklin is the correct read and wide open over the top in the back of the end zone to the left corner. It's an easy catch if you watch the replay. Mike White had no pressure to throw fast, but there's too much confidence put into Braxton Berrios right now. MLF and Saleh need to stop playing favorites.

#2 - 2nd Int play, Elijah Moore is wide open on the crosser for a TD. Game over. Easy pass again. Rush was coming in on the back side - but more experience Mike White steps up and throws that there. And then it's Miracle Mike all day. Again, a lot of trust in Garrett Wilson, not to blame MW for leaning on him, but he has more help.

Sidenote:
    Saleh needs to sit down with MLF and tell him to stop playing favorites in the passing game. It's becoming obvious they're feeding Braxton too many designed plays, and he's not a big play maker. Moore needs to be getting these looks, the guy you drafted at the top of the 2nd round. JD cannot be happy about this.

But it's seems like the coaching staff is not interested in working in Moore into the gameplan. Bad move IMO. He's too good to let go. MLF has to get over his playing favorites.

#1 BrooklynJetsFan, Dec 4, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Good post on the premise that this is all fixable in practice. Braxton Berrios isn’t Wes Welker even though they’re the same skin tone and height.

The red zone offense was fucking gross today.

3. heartpumpsgreen

heartpumpsgreen Active Member

Braxton Barrios is not as explosive as the coaching Staff apparently think he is. He should remain the PR as he is steady as they come fielding punts which is not to be overlooked...however too many designed plays for him, AGREED. it hurt them big time today.

azhar80, Cman68, KY Jets Fan and 3 others like this.
  4. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Penalties still need to be figured out. These are timely penalties that destroy us

All Gas No Shake and Jojo like this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Nothing can figure out the crappy Officiating

They gave us plays and TDs to us like charity gifts ..the most one sided officiating I have seen in 20 games easy

Not being able to score against a good Team in the Red Zone?..MLF has to check out his personnel and try something different for Gods sake. Zuerline CANT be this Teams main source of points !!

You have to beat Detroit and Jaxsonville to stay in WC race..all the rest of remaining schedule are potential , possible, losses like todays heartbreaking shitshow imo

#5 NYJetsO12, Dec 4, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  6. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

The lack of involvement for Moore feels a little Mims-esque. At the very least he needs to be given more designed touches. His talent is so clear when he has the ball in his hands. I don't think Berrios is a bad player, but many of the plays designed for him should go to Moore.

7. BrooklynJetsFan

To be fair we can win-out the remaining games - the Bills is the only team that we shouldn't be favorites. The Dolphins, Seahawks, Lions, Jaguars we should beat.

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I didn't watch the plays in enough detail to notice Conklin and Moore open on them, but if they were, then I'm not willing to make any more excuses for White not seeing open receivers than I was for Zach. Zach doesn't deserve special treatment for his draft status, but neither does White for his likability. To be clear, White showed enough positives today that he deserves more chances to start this year. But that's all he deserves at this point.

LAJet, azhar80 and bicketybam like this.
  9. BrooklynJetsFan

Yo Zach is done in NY. He's not playing again. Let it goooo! He sucked for 20 games.

Herbert, Burrow, Tua, Hurts....you see how these guys are playing (25 years and under). Zach is nowhere where they were 20 starts in....2-3 years ago.

He's a bust.

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I know that, I've already given up on Zach. This isn't about White vs. Zach, it's about whether we should go after a veteran starter in the offseason. I wasn't willing to make excuses for Zach because he was drafted 2nd overall, and likewise, I'm not willing to make excuses for White either when it comes to deciding who should be our QB in 2023.

bicketybam and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  11. BrooklynJetsFan

Just gotta wait. We'll know by the end of the season. Every game counts here on out. So the pressure is on him, and this is the best way to find out.

My gut: I think the more MW plays, the more confidence he will get, with more real game reps. He's only started 5 games.

12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

the guys you named were way more seasoned btw. Zach maybe done for now but his story isn’t over. Not after 20 games. But he damn sure gonna have to fight for it over White, who took how many years to get his shot?

NYJetsO12 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

The staff will adjust. They actually gave Moore some of the Berrios designed runs iirc today. Moore caught the one ball and made the guy miss, then got the first. He has more wiggle and short area quickness then Berrios. At the end, that def needs to be Moore.

papapump, azhar80, dmw and 1 other person like this.
  14. BrooklynJetsFan

I don't disagree. Look at Geno. It's just not gonna happen with the Jets for Zach. Sorry to break it to everyone. A new coaching staff or even if the OC was replaced will not spend time trying to fix Zach. Zach will get the Darnold treatment.

And MLF or Calebreese are not equipped to turnaround Wilson trajectory. Right now, they are focused on getting into the playoffs, not a QB's body mechanics.

15. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

I'm more concerned about the play calling itself in the red zone. Some of those were head scratchers.

Trainer and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  16. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I'd add, maybe not in RZ, that Mike had a chance or two to gain a few critical yards scrambling that as he gains more reps he'll figure out.

Let's give MW the same coaching we gave to ZW for 20 games--he'll be very good I predict.

17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Going back and watching all his throws, there were definitely some opportunities for him to scramble and pick up some easy yards with his legs. I know that's not really his cup of tea but even Tom Brady would scramble for a few here and there when the chance presented itself.

Perfect example was on the last drive, 3rd & 10 with 23 seconds to go. MW rolls out to his right and there's literally nobody in front of him but he tries to throw to Elijah on what appears to be a comeback. He's just a little inaccurate and Elijah can't come down with it on the sideline. Maybe he gets the first down if he scrambles? Maybe he just picks up 6-7-8 yards? Idk, I haven't seem him scramble enough to know for sure either way, but picking up those yards and getting out of bounds at like the 10-15 yard line would've set the team up with a much easier look on 4th down or could've set us up with 1st and goal just inside the 10 with maybe 15ish seconds to go.

Despite his age, he's still young in terms of playing QB at the NFL level so I'm not trying to be overly critical of him. I think he'll continue to learn and grow as he gets more live reps.

He's got a huge test coming up @BUF, they're by far the best defense he'll have faced this year. I hope he's up to the task.

azhar80, NYJetsO12 and IDFjet like this.
  18. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Berrios was our best and most reliable receiver last year. This year his name has hardly been called except for kick returning. It's not easy to make a play when you rarely see the ball come your way. If there is anything critical about White's performance yesterday is that he threw into tight coverage too often. The first interception was a good example. Conklin got his hands on the ball but there were two defenders right on him. The throw to Berrios was another example.

azhar80 and LogeSection2RowJ like this.
  19. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

I've seen enough of Conklin, maybe give a 6'5" Ruckert a shot in the rz. All our others rooks are contributing, maybe he can too.

boozer32 likes this.
  20. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Yeah, Berrios was a reliable December playmaker as I recall. That's why he got paid. Dude couldn't secure it on that play. It happens. However, someone made a good point that Elijah Moore should be getting a chunk of his plays. But if the play where Elijah couldn't get his foot in bounds happened on either of the final two drives we'd be saying the same things about him. Yesterday was painful, only because we have a competitive talented team. Most other years most of us would have been dreading the comeback because of 2023 draft position.