Why aren’t refs called out?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RevisIsland18, Dec 4, 2022.

1. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

Maybe it’s a rule I’m not familiar with but why don’t the teams call out refs post game/during the week? What is stopping the teams from hiring a guy to analysis obvious missed calls that the team would call out against the refs? I don’t watch a million games a weeks, but I see Jets shafted on a weekly basis.

azhar80 likes this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Vegas baby

shabbtastic and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  3. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

refs sucked but its not their faults we didn't score in the red zone 5 times! We beat ourselves, blame the refs all you want, but in the 2nd half they called a fair game. The Jets shot themselves in the foot, a good football team finds ways to win despite the refs. If you can't score 5 times in the redzone, once having it 1st and goal on the 1 yard line you only got yourself to blame although refs didn't help!! Only losers like Zack Wilson blame others for their incompetence. How many times does Sauce get away with holding every game? At the end it all evens out, but 5 times to the redzone and 5 field goals is what really cost us the game!! Inexcusable! Appalling!

#3 george sakell, Dec 4, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
    Aceman16, JETFUEL1580 and Jeff M like this.
  4. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

There's BS calls in every game. It's also incredibly easy to pick apart what the refs do when we get to see every play in super-slow-motion from countless different angles while the refs get one shot at it at 100 mph.

The refs aren't the reason we lost this game. The handful of trips to the redzone that resulted in just the 1 TD is what lost the game for us.

5. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

It's because it's a fucking sham. The NFL needs to fail for this to change and unfortunately it doesn't seem like that will happen.

You watch a 4 hour game, but it's decided by refs in a particular quarter or back to back series. It's all teams. Some players get treatment, but that's expected.

What's worse, as you mention, nobody calls them out. Announcers are usually silent, today after watching an awful officiated game they gave credit to seeing Wilson step out of bounds. White chalk to a black cleat. Are you effing kidding me?

Coaches and players don't want to get fined, and the networks are paid millions by the NFL. They literally have every avenue of criticism purchased and silenced.

I'll go even more tin foil hat where ESPN will go nuts about a bad strike in baseball. There are effing 200 pitches a game in baseball, but I'm supposed to be outraged an ump missed 2 calls in a game while the NFL officiating messes up a dozen times a game for about 100 times more of how it actually effects the game

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

TGG is far more biased than the refs are. Not that this is unique to Jets fans; go on any team's message board, and the game threads are nonstop bitching that the refs are biased against their team.

7. JackBower

Who said anything about bias?

8. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

There's bad calls in every game, unfortunately the refs don't have the luxury of refing from their couch watching replays

KingRoach, LF911SC and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

The OP said "I see the Jets get shafted on a weekly basis."

10. JackBower

I see...

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

What? Refs aren’t as big of a deal as this entire rant indicates. Sure they suck but it’s not like they’re in the Illuminati.

azhar80 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

I will acknowledge that refs are biased in favor of good players. For instance, Brady gets roughing the passer calls other QBs don't get. And this has hurt the Jets in the last decade because we haven't had many good players. But even this season, Sauce has gotten away with contact most CBs don't. And today, the refs weren't our problem: our problem was that on the most important plays, they executed and we didn't.

13. JackBower

They literally determine most NFL games. It's hard pressed up watch a game and not think the refs have major influence. More than any other sport by a mile.

The refs dominated the first 20-25 minutes of the game and Jets tailed 10-3, they lost by 5

You can watch the NFL and think it's just how it is, but then you are apart of the problem

#13 JackBower, Dec 4, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I disagree - it's because no one without a bias rates officiating for every game. Fans of teams that lose are probably five or ten times more apt to criticize the referees than those of teams that win - the closer the game, the more complaining. It's a job that cannot be automated to great enough a degree to matter, except for spotting the ball. Humans are always going to make mistakes but the law of averages says they'll be well distributed.

KingRoach and HomeoftheJets like this.
  15. JackBower

I can't agree with that game assessment. After the half the game was played by Jets and Vikings, but the first 20-25 minutes the refs dominated with their calls and non calls and it really determined the game unless an otherworldly performance took place.

Again, you can think that's life but then you are apart of the problem. This thread should be in the NFL forum and not just the Jets.

azhar80 likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They determine MOST games? Dude that’s an absurd statement. Things like this even themselves out throughout the course of a 17 game season. If you look at one game under a microscope, yeah some teams get fucked.

Teams get calls and they have calls go against them. It’s the nature of sports but it usually evens it. I liken it to your friend in fantasy that has the most points for in fantasy after a month and is 1-3 and whining like a little bitch. Meanwhile by the end of the year he’s 5th in points for because it evens out.

Ralebird likes this.
  17. impure

impure Well-Known Member

2nd and goal on the 1 and we failed to score. That is why we lost.

18. JackBower

They do determine most games, more than any sport by a mile. If you don't agree then you don't know what you are looking at. I try to be open minded but there's a point where you just have to say the person on the other side is blind or an idiot. I don't think you're an idiot.

Even themselves after a 17 game season? 17 games? THAT'S an absurd statement.

19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Without even getting into all the other games this week perhaps in the next few days you would care to support your contentions by looking at replays of this game and getting very specific about which penalties should not have been called and which penalties were missed, or intentionally ignored, as the case might be.

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

It gets costly to say anything disparaging about Refs. Not only financially, but the Refs hold grudges and you most likely will really hurt your team more than help.