So, what now about Clemens?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Jan 7, 2007.

1. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

It was not garbage time. Down by ten with more than enough time for 2 scores. The pick was huge and basically ended the game.

2. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Chad's the starter next year barring some unforseen and unfortunate accident/injury.

3. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

We were down 14 with less than 5:00 left. Not impossible but not likely vs the New England D, either.

Whether they hold open competition or not, Chad will be the QB next year. If he has to win the job again he will, just like he did this year. Except he won't have to learn a new offense or rehab in the off-season, he can finally have a normal off season to prepare for next year.

4. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

We were actually down by 14, and the game was pretty much over at that point. We were just playing for consolation points.

5. Penning10

Penning10 Member

You may have a point for 2004, but in 2002 Martin was ravaged by injury and was playing on sheer will. His effectiveness was greatly reduced. Anyone that remembers 2002 knows that season was all about Chad. You can't take that away from him. Martin was there in the beginning of the year when they were 1-3, Chad was not. As for Pennington not being a top QB, I'd have to agree. But he's better than what most teams have. It was a good year, and I must say this is the best I have ever felt after a playoff loss. I think Chad should get the opportunity for 2007.

6. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

Chad didnt loose the game for us today our defense did. Although Chad's inability to zip it into the zone is a concern. What I have been saying all along is that Chad is a good QB, not great. His inability to throw into a narrow window because of his lack of arm strength makes him check down all the time. I don't know about you, but I am tired of the checkdowns. I want to see the Todd to walker connection again which has been long time ago.

If Clemens isnt ready, give it to Chad, but I'm hoping Clemens comes along faster than usual.

7. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Most people don't realize how good Clemens looked at TC this August. He ran the 1st team very effectively and his arm is without question much stronger than Penny's. I'm not sure about all the other intangibles though. For some reason, our CS wanted to go with Putrid Ramsey all year as the #2, so there must be a reason for that and I just don't know what it is. Based on what we saw at TC, this kid has a lot of leadership skills, command presence and a damned good arm to boot.

Camp and preseason will be very interesting this year.

8. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

exactly, you were at training camp right?

i remember clemens almost starting this season. its not that far fecthed for clemens to win the spot next year. and just win it.. nobody is saying throw away pennington. we just want to see what clemens can do.

9. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

I just think that in order to get by the patriots (or any elite team for that matter) in the next 5 or 6 years, we're either going to need a better QB, or an outstanding defense a la Pittsburgh last year.

10. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Down by 14 with 5 minutes is plenty of time to come back...I refuse to call it garbage time, although Ramsey chucking it downfield would have felt more like we were trying...the big screwup came when we let dillon get that first on 3rd and 1. Otherwise, we're down 10 with 5 minutes to go.

11. BenGrahamFan

BenGrahamFan Member

You obviously didn't watch the 2001-2003 Pats or the 02 Raiders. Both teams had no running game and would always spread the field and throw 5-10 yard passes and get YAC.

12. BenGrahamFan

BenGrahamFan Member

That must be why he was inactive for 15 weeks

13. BenGrahamFan

BenGrahamFan Member

Chad played well enough to win yesterday. The defense lost the game for us...If our defense from week 10 shows up then when we win yesterday and all you would be kissing Chad's ass. Too many fickle, fairweathered fans

14. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Well Gary you make some pretty good points, and you're right he's not some amazing top 5 QB, but he's likely better than KC will ever be. (I'd like to see KC play and so we can see who's better.) In a big game, Chad put up 300 yards and had only 1 INT when the game was already over anyway. You don't need a Peyton Manning or Carson Palmer to win the SB, just a good all-around team.

But anyway, the part I disagree with you on is how you rate Chad because of the 17/16. He had a very mediocre line, basically nobody in the backfield (hb, and fb) and only 2 people on the whole team who are looked upon as good or great. Plus it was a re-building year for the whole team...AND it was his first year back after 3 bad injuries...so give him a shot.

15. NYJetsMetsCTHuskies

NYJetsMetsCTHuskies Active Member

How many QB's in this league is a Carson Palmer or a Peyton Manning? Coming back 10 points isn't easy for any team... or QB.

Chad gives us the best chance to win now...

Where are we going to find a QB that can be a Carson Palmer or a Peyton Manning? What makes you think Clemens will be one of them...?

Chad can throw the long ball, but it just takes a while to get there. Which means, the play action long throw works best for him. Which is why, we need to get the running game going.

16. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

And any knowledgeable fan would have known that our success in Week 10 was a by product of bad conditions and unpredictable (more aggressive) scheme. We did the exact same things as in week 10, but they were more then ready to deal with the blitz and the field couldn't have been any better.

Not saying that we don't have alot of fair weather fans on this board, but as is the case in 95% of all losses, all 3 phases of football contributed to that loss.

17. Coach K

Coach K New Member

there running game was more effective than ours and they had better d's than we do.

being that weve gotten farther with a running game then without one I'll assume were not the 01-03 pats or the 02 raiders.

your comparing apples to oranges, theyre not the same scheme there wasnt the constant motion presnap. the purpose of the motion is to move a slot man to the other end of the field to cross routes with another reciever to tangle the db's and leave them open deep.

either way, different coaching, different roster, different results.

18. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

I think Chad's play this year has pretty much solidified his starting spot for next year. If we had a lousy season then there would have been a quarter back change mid stream heading into this year .

#118 JUNJOBX2199, Jan 8, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  19. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

Chad is our guy UNTIL he gets hurt. I wonder if he can make it through another season, but there is no way he loses his spot in pre-season after he lead our team to the playoffs.

His arm is unspectacular....we all know it. But the fact remains that he runs a sweet no huddle and he can beat you with that noodle arm. It's time to worry about surrounding him with a defense that can hold top tier Offenses in check.

20. Penning10

Penning10 Member

Todd to Walker? How many playoff games did Richard Todd win again?