I am a Zach supporter, but I am also a realist...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Nov 28, 2022.

1. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

I think Geno gets a little more of a "pass" for not being a high first-round draft pick.

2. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Zach was drafted too high. That’s all here. He was a mid to late 1st rounder, and should be treated as such because he played garbage talent in college.

Jets overdrafted and that’s why we are in the situation.

tomdeb, JETFUEL1580 and JetFanInPA like this.
  3. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Yeah pretty much

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's getting harder and harder to find possible loopholes in this argument.

5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

You have to know what to look for.

abyzmul likes this.
  6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

WAY, WAY TOO HIGH!
    And I read that Douglas/jets were blown away by Zach's throws on his pro day, the same way Mike MacMoron was blown away by Hackenberg on his pro day. What the hell is wrong with this picture? Watching a QB under NO pass rush throw to a WR 10-40 yards with no defender on the field makes a guy NFL ready???? Good grief!

mezzavo, Ralebird, papapump and 4 others like this.
  7. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

i'm as frustrated with Zach as anyone but hoping he (somehow, someway) rebounds

not that we've all vented, I vote we stop kicking a dog when he's down

8. abyzmul

I giggle every time.

9. Dierking

Where is he anyway?

10. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

NO we are in this situation because ZW has been an abject failure to date. Is that simple...

11. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

I WAS a huge Zach supporter, but I am now convinced he lacks any sort of an "it" factor and will end up being spoken about in the same sentences as Ryan Leaf.

That being said, you look at the physical tools, you look at his college stats, and what he appeared to be then is simply not what we have now. I dont pretend to know why.

In his senior season, he completed 73.5%, he averaged 11 YPA, his TD to Int ratio was 33 to 3. I mean, come on, Brady in his prime would have had trouble matching those stats even against the BYU caliber opposition. We had seen just a year or two earlier the success of Josh Allen coming from an even smaller school. If you watched tape, he appeared to be capable of making all the throws, even into tight windows. What was there not to like at that time ??? Maybe you could argue he wasnt going to be a FQB, but how could anybody at the time think he would not at least end up being a run of the mill average NFL QB ???

Now he cant complete 50% to wide open backs in the flat less than 10 yards away. The ball goes in the dirt or over heads. What gives ?? What has happened ????

The fall of Zach is a huge mystery to me, but it is a FACT. He is a failed draft pick. He may never throw another NFL pass, at least not for the Jets, and truthfully I hope that is how this plays out. He was lost this team despite any public pronouncements. Any limited future in the NFL that he may have will be elsewhere.

Did the off field issues mess with his head ???? A kid that supposedly had pristine character end up with dirt on his hands.

IMHO, something changed with this kid and I do not presume to know what something is.

The point of this post is that we can criticize what has transpired, but I for one will not go back and second guess the pick.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  12. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

As long as Wilson stays a Jet, I will support him because I want this team to succeed. He's still a young, immature kid and needs to learn to be humble, develop relationships, and focus on improvement every day. There is a good chance we're going to need him. Go Jets.

13. abyzmul

Wherever it is, I'm sure the fetal position is involved.

IDFjet likes this.
  14. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

#2 pick. Non-prototypical size. Weak cupcake opponents. Limited college performance albeit very good final season. He also had the lowest pressure rate of all college QBs that year too. There were question marks. JD chose to ignore.

Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, Jalen Hurts, etc... those guys weren't even drafted that high, and he's not even in their class.

Jets-N-Terps and tomdeb like this.
  15. Dierking

I think a reset will straighten him out.

16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yeah the draft position depends on so many things…how many perceived first round QBs are there, how many teams need a QB, how bad does your specific team need a QB…lots of factors. QBs get drafted earlier than they should all the time because it’s a critical position, that’s just the way it goes.

that year the consensus can’t miss top prospect was Trevor and he went first. We needed a QB badly and we basically had to choose between Wilson and Fields. I didn’t know much about Wilson but I did know I didn’t want Fields…right now Fields is doing well only because he’s an electric runner but he’s not nearly a good QB. I don’t think he’ll become one but he may. I was concerned about Zach but I think he was more of a straight QB player than Fieldsnis…Fields is a great runner with a strong arm but he’s not a QB.

I didn’t have a huge problem with the Zach pick at the time because we did need a QB and he seemed the best option to me after Trevor…but he has not developed as he should and he may never…we’ll see…

17. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

More than anything this is:

1) Zach sucked so bad and absolutely threw his fucking teammates under the bus. I don't wtf they teach that idiot in Utah but it's honestly surprising the right answers weren't common sense.

2) Mike White is NOT Zach Wilson. He knows how to do everything that we've been ragging (to no avail) on Zach to do. He's a refreshing surprise because the players feel like now they can reach their talent. The other 52 players on the team believe they can win it all THIS season. Mike White is liked and he delivers passes with no hesitation. It appears, at least from the players standpoint, that Mike White as QB gives the Jets the best chance to win.

The bottom line this team way, way, WAY ahead of schedule and Zach is not but Mike White is.....

Jets-N-Terps and tomdeb like this.
  18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I believe I likened it to a slugger hitting in a batting cage or off a tee. Maybe it was a golfer on the driving range. In any event, it is so unlike gametime conditions its value is debatable at best.

tomdeb likes this.
  19. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Some athletes peak in high school, some in college, some in the pros. We see it every year at every position, guys that were expected to flourish as a pro, fizzle out instead.

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It's still an opinion, not a fact. Yes, it does not look good now odds wise, and the kid needs to sit and learn and chances are he might become failed draft pick, but I don't think it is wise to waive him just yet, like Miami did Rosen. Let's hope Mike White balls out and we keep him for next year, and Zach at the very least a good back-up next year. Mike does have durability issues, so chances are even in that scenario Zach will get another chance in 2023.