Zach Benched

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedJetsGreen1981, Nov 23, 2022.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he looks like a young robert patrick in T2

2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Rumor has it - and it's only a rumor - that he cried when Coach Saleh told him the news. I have a certain level of respect for that (if true), but him not shouldering any blame for the Cheats debacle is on him and it may turn out to be the biggest gift we've ever gotten as fans in recent memory.

The difference between this team and past teams is that they are good enough - and young! - that even with a plug and play guy that does simple things without any flash not named Joe Thorazine (Flacco) we can win.

Noam likes this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with you wholeheartedly on this point. There is enough feedback from the players to properly surmise there were issues in practice that translated to poor performance on the field.. Mostly Garret but also Mims and Elijah, the issue is QB execution, pure and simple, not personality or ego or entitlement. Wilson is a little distant at times, but if he was on point players wouldn't give two shits about that. Practices with Zach have not been crisp, you hear Garret over and over try to drive that point home, first for Zachs poor performance last game, but yesterday for White good performance that as he put it. started with a great practice. The CS has some work to do moving forward, both to keep Mike crisp and on point, but also to start to work with Zach to turn around his footwork and regain his confidence in the reads and quicker release. That to me is a win win.

#443 LAJet, Nov 28, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    SOJAZ, Lon Chaney and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

I am a big dog person. love your avatar !!! I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback, she is a big time daddy's girl !!!

Jets-N-Terps and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

One thing to remember in all of this, and I mean *all* of it, is that NFL teams generally do not do a lot of work to develop an NFL QB. They do a lot of work to teach their scheme and lots of reps to give the QB and his receivers familiarity with each other. They don't do a lot of ABC's work because that's mostly what had to get done in high school and college before the player ever got to the NFL.

QB coaches will assist if they see something slipping but they don't have the wherewithal to teach in the first place. Skills a player didn't have when they got to the NFL are likely never to be acquired. Skills they have will likely be expanded upon but if they didn't have it in the first place it's not happening at the NFL level.

This is Tebow 101. Wilson 101 is very similar in scope.

6. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Also, Mike White was signed by JD. So if he turns out to be the guy he still gets credit ol

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think the biggest difference I have noticed between the 3 QB's, is that the offense is run differently when Zach is not playing. It seemed like it flowed better with Flacco (in the Browns game at least). Clearly flowed well with Mike White yesterday. What I can't tell is if Mike LaFleur has to scale back his offense for Zach, or if Mike is calling the same plays and Zach just can't execute them. Or maybe it is a bit of both. The Jets were finding ways to succeed with Zach on offense (besides the Patriots and Broncos games) but I don't think it was the way LaFleur would prefer to run the offense.

I think that makes it more interesting instead of just asking "Can Zach play in the NFL?" He can, but he is not running this offense the way it should be run and he hasn't since he arrived in the NFL.

SOJAZ and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. eddie sec 126

eddie sec 126 Active Member

You don't learn nothing on the sideline. You can be a good teammate congratulating players for great plays on all aspects of the game. But learn . No. He should be upstairs with a coach ,headset and video board. Watch the offense then when we are on defense watch the play again on the board. Coach telling him what the reads should be . That my friends is teaching. Not much time during the season at practice. He has to make time on his own.

9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I am watching MNF and there was a commercial featuring Z Wilson zipping a ball to our RB in the Bills win

That was Wilsons best game against a good defense and then he took a turn downhill?

If his practices were faulty I guess that eventually caught up with him

coloradojet and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  10. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Zach staring down Mike White like Tonya Harding on Nancy Kerrigan.

IDFjet, NYJetsO12 and K'OB like this.
  11. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

The best thing about White is, he wasn't drafted by the Jets, so you know he has the basic tools to succeed, unlike every Jets drafted QB outside of 3 in the history of the organization

IDFjet, NYJetsO12 and Br4d like this.
  12. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Fixed it for you.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The things that finally brought Zack Wilson down have been present all along. He's just not a good QB. He doesn't have the skills you need to succeed in the NFL. The Jets force-fed him until he eventually cracked. This will happen any time you ask a player to do things they are not capable of doing. Good coaches never ask players to do things they are not capable of. Makes the player and the coach look bad when they do that.

Bill Belichik is a very smart defensive coach. By the second game this season he has seen enough of ZW to know exactly how to pull his chains and 2 inches a play is what you get once that happens. The pull at this point was actually merciful. Other coaches have gotten a good look at ZW also and they've now gotten a master class in shutting him down from the Pats. There's no future when the past has been as bad as it has been and it's all on tape.

SOJAZ, Since1969, Jeff M and 2 others like this.
  14. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

Josh Freakin' Johnson had over 300 yards in this offense, without this year's influx of talent. Literally every QB not named Zach Wilson, has had immediate success throwing the ball in this offense. That indicates to me that it is a very QB friendly scheme, and that something isn't clicking for Zach, at least not yet.

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

To be fair, all these points came after we were blown out in garbage time. We didn't put up as many as needed when it mattered, but did pad stats at the end. This is not to say Zach is ready. He isn't and should sit on the bench this year. But people keep bringing up that Colts game, when we actually got embarrassed on national TV and only scored in garbage time.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  16. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

17. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

Scary that in Zack Wilsons scouting reports they compared him to all Busts

QB Zach Wilson Scouting Profile
    RSP Ranking: QB6

Height/Weight: 6-3/210 School: BYU

Comparison Spectrum: Johnny Manziel-Baker Mayfield-Drew Lock-X

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Elijah Moore? Is that you? :D
    Yeah, that is a fair assessment. I think it can click for him though. And if it does, he can be great.

19. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

not trying to be a douche here, but what makes you think it can click for him?

we are now 20 or so games into his career (Bill Walsh who knew a thing or two about this felt that by game 24 or 26 or so you know what a QB is going to be…we are almost there)…the team around him has been MUCH improved this year, but he looks pretty much the same as he has all along. Strong arm, athletic, but still inaccurate as fuck. Still not seeing the field well.

I’m one of those who have been saying that despite the subjective eye test stuff, the stats have shown very little improvement. He was worst in the league last year in several key stats like completion rate, QB rating, yards per game, yards per attempt, low TD numbers, etc. and the stats don’t look very different this year either, and he’s still bottom of the league.

to me, the “eye test” doesn’t hold water…I STILL see him miss open guys, I STILL see him not see open guys at all, I STILL see very little touch on the ball, and I STILL see rough ball placement.

to me he looks very much the same as he has always looked.

he can wow with a crazy great throw with his strong arm, but he shows SO little feel for the position…it was understandable as a rookie on a bad team with a poor OL and bad skill players, but those have all improved significantly this year while he really hasn’t at all.

we basically HAD to bench him because he wasn’t getting any better on the field.

so is the hope that having time to reset off the field will do it?

again, not trying to be argumentative here, just trying to understand what it is that can give us hope, because he has the physical traits to be great but he hasn’t been able to show that on the field…and from my perspective, (a) I’m not sure that a QB can significantly improve his accuracy if he doesn’t have it, and (b) we should’ve seen SOME improvement by now…to me he needed to rank in the middle of the pack or so…but he’s not even close.

I’m not seeing it, at least not this year…maybe he can really work on it and with another offseason come back and light it up but I’m super skeptical…

20. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

What's most troubling to me is while everyone focused on arm strength and razzle dazzle, the negatives in the various scouting reports were largely ignored.
    • Holds the ball too long
    • Doesn't appear to process quickly
    • Doesn't set his feet properly
    • Tends to retreat in the pocket
    • Throws too many 50/50 balls
    The last one seems to have been the focus of his development to cut down on turnovers, but all the other issues still exist.

Ralebird, Jets79 and Jets81 like this.